Thread: String Hitting Arm

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Hitting Arm

OK, three weeks into learning recurve, I've noticed occasionally, the string lightly brushes my arm, but when I open the stance a bit, it never hits the arm. Do I have a flaw in my form somewhere?

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Default String Hitting Arm

Of these days and times arm slap is more assoiciated with compounds and given that the draw length is too long. Traditional bows and recurves are not too long if drawn properly. However, hand placement to riser grip regardless of stick, recurve or compounds is more the issue. And then I had a Browning that wanted to chew on my arm every chance it got.

As for recurves, from my earliest days, 12 or 13 years old, to when I quit I never used a arm guard except when hunting in cold weather. 32 years later I returned to archery and have yet to wear a arm guard except when hunting in cold weather. I have 3 arm guards and one elastic sleeve compressor with arm guard built in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

On the compound I used to rotate the bow arm elbow downward clockwise to eliminate the string hitting. On the recurve it's harder to do because it gets harder to pull as I near full draw.

Oh well, I see most of the Olympians with arm guards so I guess they do it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Try rotating your hand out.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)