Thread: String clearance on my new Onza XT

Post Thanks / Like

Default String clearance on my new Onza XT

Hey All

Glad to be a new member on this site. Anyways, I have a new Onza Xt w/nitro cams. I am almost maxed out on the 31" draw length. The problem is when the cams pass the string where the cable attaches to the cam it has no clearance and rubs VERY hard. This problem may be hard to explain in words. My dealer had no idea what to do about it and was going to send it back to Martin for evaluation. Any ideas would be well appreciated.

Thanks witski65

Post Thanks / Like

Posting a picture might help a lot, but it almost sounds like the draw stop is set too long and the cable is rolling off the back end of the module at full draw.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The bow is at the dealer right now, so I can't post a pic.

The dealer put six more twists in the cable thinking that would help, no go!

Then he wanted to reduce the draw length, i was thinking that I could use a little more draw length not less.

So the question is ?? Is my draw length too long for the bow?

How do I know if it is set too long? The draw stop is not all the way to the end of the slot! But the string does pass the mounts for the cable.

Thanks for the feed back.

Post Thanks / Like

So how can we tell if the draw length is too long for you or lets say you are drawing too long? Only a full length picture of you at full draw would give us a better idea it is common for a great majority of archers to draw upwards of 2" longer than what would be optimal for them. This isn't always gospel, but close enough to be a guideline---to shoot a 31" draw you'd have to be about 6'6" tall. Are you that tall? Another pretty accurate measurement is with your bow arm extended out to the side you measure from the center of your chest to the crease in your wrist where it meets your hand. And bows being the way they come from the factories never assume the draw length is accurate with a module setting. You have to physically measure the draw length using a draw board.

Too often used is the term "correct draw length" by using any form of measurement. These get you close. Then you might have to adjust it up or down based on how steady the bow aims which is a matter of shooting the bow for a while. Every time you make an adjustment it may take a while of intense shooting to determine just how well the bow holds and aims. It takes your body and mind a while to get used to a new feel. This doesn't happen in a few shots.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Got to agree with bfisher in both instances. 31" draw takes some pretty good arms that come on a tall, tall person.

"The draw stop is not all the way to the end of the slot!"

If your dealer knows how to set up a Martin bow he should know to set the draw stop or know how to set the draw stop.
    Down load a Martin manual - pretty easy to do. Quickie instruction; Back off the draw stop. Move mod to what setting you wish. Draw bow and cable will lay flat in the module groove. This is where the drop stop is moved to the limb and tightened down. Every time you move the draw module the draw stop must be reset........

Post Thanks / Like

31 1/2" from wrist crease to center of my chest. Ya I'm that big. lol! I have been shooting this bow since 4/1/13. Very audible click/clunk when I came to full draw. When you let down you almost had to push the string like there was 99% let off. Didn't realize what was happening. When I figured it out I took it back to the dealer. He is confused on the issue and sent the bow back to martin. When you looked down the string at the top cam you could clearly see that it was tipped to the left. When he took it apart he couldn't find anything missaligned or slop in the top cam. I have gone to this dealer for the last 15 years and he has always been at the top of his game. I thought I would do a little investigating on my own while the bow was being sent back.

Thanks for the advise
    Witski65
    You can recover from a tough hunt, you can not recover from quitting! Cameron Hanes

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so now we know you're a big guy with a long draw length. I can't really understand just what's going on with your bow, but there is a way to cheat a little more draw length out of it and maybe your dealer knows this. You could add some twists (shorten) the cables and/or remove some twists from the string. You could conceivably get an extra 3/8" by doing this. Just be forewarned that this also increases the draw weight so that will have to be adjusted.

If you need to be stretched out a little more for comfort and shoot a string loop you could shoot a longer loop. Whatever you decide you still need to physically measure the draw length of the bow to ensure that it is drawing what the module is set for.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bfisher. I'm hoping that Martin can figure out what's wrong and make it right. I'll keep you posted.
    You can recover from a tough hunt, you can not recover from quitting! Cameron Hanes

Post Thanks / Like

Well after receiving new cams from Martin this bow CAN NOT be set for a 31" draw length. I had two different pro reps look at this bow, set it to the max. You may get 30 1/4" out of it but NOT 31". I need all of that. I hope they honor there warranty! Cause this bow is not what they claim it to be!

Thanks