Thread: Release method

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Release method

Just got back into archery after a very long hiatus. Many moons ago I used finger savers on the string. One on top and two under the nock. Attached the same to the new x-200 a couple weeks back. Shoot what you know seemed the way to go.

The first few days it appeared I was given a reprieve from what I thought would be a long learning curve. The shot groups tightened up real quick. Then, all of a sudden (last night) , it all went to crap. Same repeated today. Arrows veering off to the right and nearly a foot apart at a mere 15 to 20 yards. After doing some research, it looks as though this method isn't used much. Either a tab, glove, or mechanical release is the string slinger of choice.

So, am I using something proven inadequate, too difficult, or is it just out of style? I'm fairly certain it's got to do with the release process. It's not target panic. More like target anger now, lol. I'm not releasing early. Anchor is consistent, level, with minimal hand to grip contact. I'm able to hold it steady within the 10 ring so it's not wobble. Once I 'let go' there is this brief moment of visual fuzziness where I lose the clear focus of the site, arrow, and target in alignment. Bow movement from something. I've also noticed more reverberations in the string noise than before. I'm thinking the actual release might be a little more intentional than it should be. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
    Martin X-200 45#
    Diamond Outlaw 60#
    Hoyt Buffalo 50#

Sonny Thomas

Default Release method

I guessing you're speaking of the roller type finger savers. Never used them, but think they would work as with normal finger glove or tabs. I used bare fingers for hunting and a lot of times just playing around. Target shooting is when I used a shooting glove. Never cared for tabs and never used them long enough to get them broke in, so really didn't use tabs.

I don't go for the last inch draw and release thing I see with a lot of stick/recurve shooters. I came to full draw, anchored and just let my fingers relax.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be no more complicated than simply relaxing the hold versus what's going on. I'll be in the yard again tonight. This time around I'm going to make an effort at not making an effort. A laissez fair string release and see what happens.
    Martin X-200 45#
    Diamond Outlaw 60#
    Hoyt Buffalo 50#

Post Thanks / Like

I have a jaguar that I just bought 2 weeks ago and i don't know if its unorthodox or not but I've leaned towards using an older style mechanical release that my father used with his old compound bow....I started off with bare fingers and I was getting way to much inconsistency in my releases...after switching I'm now able to put 9-10 arrows in a 1 foot grouping (not great but I'm just starting to get into recurve shooting)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X-Kaliper17 View Post
    I have a jaguar that I just bought 2 weeks ago and i don't know if its unorthodox or not but I've leaned towards using an older style mechanical release that my father used with his old compound bow....I started off with bare fingers and I was getting way to much inconsistency in my releases...after switching I'm now able to put 9-10 arrows in a 1 foot grouping (not great but I'm just starting to get into recurve shooting)
    My advice is to dump the release and learn how to shoot properly with fingers and proper form, especially back tension and a solid anchor. Like Barry mentioned, the fingers impart the paradox to the arrow which is necessary for it to clear the riser. Get a good tab, I like the Bateman Cordovan and shoot split fingers. You might want to try shooting three under if that is more comfortable for you.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm a TAB user, but know a couple people who use those rubber finger savers so here's my thoughts. Are they outdated? Sure are. With emphasis on speed these days I know these finger savers have to weight quite a bit and are going to take their toll with what little speed a traditional setup has to begin with. OK, so speed isn't an issue? My bow is only shooting 130fps so speed isn't a priority for me either.

Think about this one. You wrap your fingers around that piece of rubber. With most normally accepted release methods you relax your fingers and the string goes through it's normal paradox because your fingers just can't relax as quickly as the string is being pulled forward. With finger savers you're wrapping your fingers around something much larger than the string so as it is pulled forward it has to travel farther to the side to get around the fingers, giving more paradox to the arrow. Plus while it's being pulled forward it also has to roll the string.

Now does affect potential accuracy? Possibly, I don't really know, but I would have to think so. I just know that I like to keep things simple and the less on the string the better.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver