Thread: Bohning tiny vanes

Threaded View

Sonny Thomas

Default Bohning tiny vanes

Well, I got a chance to try the Bohning 1" Micro Mini Blazer, 2.2 grs, and 1 1/2" X vane Shield cut, 3.0 grs. I had before used Mini Blazers and they shot great.
    What I did, I have Post in Classifieds to sell some of my friend's odds and ends he's trying to sort out before he moves out of state due to his promotion. So grabbed a few vanes to see how things were. I was not disappointed.....

Now, for those who have decent shooting bows and want a little fps these vanes will get the job done. Figure 4" vanes weigh something of 9 gr to something over 14 grs. you have 27 grs and 42 grs of weight in vanes opposed to Micros of 6.6 grs or 1 1/2" X vane Shield cuts of 9 grs.
    Differences;
    Micros, 6.6 to 27 grs = 20.4 grs or approx 7 fps.
    Micros, 6.6 to 42 grs = 35.4 grs or approx 12 fps.
    X vanes, 9 to 27 grs = 18 grs or approx 6 fps.
    X vanes, 9 to 42 grs = 33 grs or approx 11 fps.

If to Bohning's own 2" Blazer you're looking 18 grs for 3 vanes. So 3 to 7 fps gain. And of course, less weight on the tail gives more FOC.

So I messed up.... Not really really hot, but humidity is to the point you can almost swim in the air. Yeah, dripping wet standing in one spot and not a hint of a breeze. Camera didn't want to work, wavy and blurry for some dang reason (probably me) and I was so sloppy dripping wet I wasn't walking to the truck (tile still not finished) to get my Chronograph. BUT! I did shoot some. Now, my Pearson is pretty dead X zero for 20 yards, but with the Micros and tiny Shield cuts I was chewing the top out of the X ring of the NFAA 20 yard target. At 25 yards it was the same and more. At 30 yards almost the same high.
    I saw no deviation for windage. Dead on as normally.

Now, I don't need faster. Those of us in Super Senior of the ASA are still regulated to 280 fps and I'm already over that at 284.5 fps. Only the plus 3% error keeping within the speed limit. And then most of the clubs I shoot at don't have speed limits. I have not been shorted for being on the upper end of the score sheet.

Soon as the weather breaks I'll have some pics and chronograph readings....
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 07-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.