Thread: Help setting up new limbs on my bow......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help setting up new limbs on my bow......

Good Morning Guys (and Gals),
    I have a new set of limbs that I'm trying to install on my bow myself......they're replacements from Martin for my Warhog (yes, splintered limbs). Anyway, I've gotten everything back in place, but when I draw the bow back into the valley, and then release the arrow, it feels as if the cams are not going to roll forward to tension the string....it just sits there for a fraction of a second or so and then takes off. Is this a function of the draw stop needing to be set a bit closer to stopping cam roll sooner, or should I increase the draw length of the bow?
    I know that I should know this, but have once again been out of archery due to sickness (hopefully getting stronger now) and I've forgotten much of what I knew at one time.
    Take care all!

Post Thanks / Like

Are your' cams timed correctly?

Post Thanks / Like

Check your cable/string lengths and set them at factory spec's. If you have already done this, then yes, I would say that your draw length peg is set a little too long. Set it so the flat spot on the mods are not touching the cables at full draw. Here is a video showing how to set it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQQOGXNzL8

Post Thanks / Like

I'm inclined to agree with Dean right now. If the draw stop is set too long for the module setting then you are drawing past the flat on the module which could cause what you are feeling. This does assume that the cams are in sync with each other as Desert suggested. You really have a couple choices. Cam sync should be checked first and it this is OK then you can shorten up on the draw stop and see what happens. If it's better then you know you're on the right track. Or if the draw length is a bit short as is then you could move the module to the next longer setting and then try to tweak the draw stop just a bit.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting Thread

I myself, fancy to be a nitrous cam shooter. But, I bought a 2005 Slayer with non-originally equipped Cat Cams (similar or the same as your Warthog cams). The first time I drew it back it scared the crud out of me. When I went to let it down, it was like let off...let off more ...let off more...son-of-a-gun (wording changed of course) zx%ycq!w cams are locked!!!...and then it finally let down. It really scared me like no other time in drawing back bows. But my friend Mark Barnard (name used without permission) MBXXX user name, directed me to a link on our companion site AT which helped with everything. After getting the cams adjusted correctly, let off is much more manageable, speed is faster, and bow is much smoother and steadier, and almost feels as good as nitrous cams, lol. The gent that gave the information is a friend of Mark's and really knows his stuff. Enjoy fellow Martin shooters...JIM PS sign into AT use this link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...light=CAT+cams
    Last edited by mxtuner1; 07-16-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot Slayer when said 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much, fellas. I'll set about adjusting as all of you have suggested and visit the links that several of you have provided. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Take care, all!