Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Loops Safe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default D Loops Safe?

For the first time, I tried a D Loop on my compound and love the way the arrow nock is positioned being pulled equally from top and bottom. My only question is the safety of the D Loop knots itself, even with melting the string ends into a mushroom head, I get kind of a uneasy feeling. Have these knots ever failed? and, is there a safer way of tying these knots? I saw somewhere a person mentioned a "clove hitch" is safer.

I guess you can wrap a few turns of serving directly behind the mushroom head as extra security.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 07-16-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

some guys tie knot on the ends instead of melting the ends
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

You have to make sure you get it mushroomed enough and then I haven't had a problem. But if you don't get it mushroomed enough then it will slip as I found out the hard way. I never like pulling it back the first time cause you just are not sure if it's going to hold. That's just my view on the subject. But I do love my D-loop and not sure what I would do without it.
    2011 Pantera 55-70#dw 28"dl

Post Thanks / Like

I know that scared feeling. I'd rather put new strings on then tie D loops. I have never had a D loop fail though. I also tie some serving tight on the top and bottom of the D so I don't worry about it slipping.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a loop, but have installed quite a few. To date I have never had one pull through (knock on wood), but have seen it happen. It can get ugly when you punch yourself in the face. Laughable for those of us who are not drawing the bow, but not nice for the guy who is. Of course, I've had releases slip or prematurely fire while drawing with much the same results. Not funny for me.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I tied together the side of the Dloop and the mushroom head stub with four over and under square knots like in making tied nocks. Now I feel safer.

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Never had one go wrong with just a good mushroom, just use good D-loop rope.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Never had one go wrong with just a good mushroom, just use good D-loop rope.
    I believe your right. I see most of the Olympic compound archers use the traditionally tied DLoop.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Default D Loops Safe?

Been using a d-loop on my target bows since 2004 or 2005. Have yet to have one fail because of the knot or melted ball on the end. Seen and heard of failures, but usually because of inexperience.
    Most fail because a improperly tied knot. Others because of the ball too small. And others because cinching up the knot too loose.

Didn't Hutch have a video for d-loops?

Carl, are just using a d-loop by itself? No real problem, but the bottom knot should be spaced a bit below the arrow nock. This prevents nock pinch and gives a bit of downward pressure on the arrow to keep it in contact with the rest.

I use string tied nocks on the inside of my d-loop. This give a even ball nock instead the lopsidedness of the d-loop knot. And then should you replace the d-loop your nocking point is still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Been using a d-loop on my target bows since 2004 or 2005. Have yet to have one fail because of the knot or melted ball on the end. Seen and heard of failures, but usually because of inexperience.
    Most fail because a improperly tied knot. Others because of the ball too small. And others because cinching up the knot too loose.

Didn't Hutch have a video for d-loops?

Carl, are just using a d-loop by itself? No real problem, but the bottom knot should be spaced a bit below the arrow nock. This prevents nock pinch and gives a bit of downward pressure on the arrow to keep it in contact with the rest.

I use string tied nocks on the inside of my d-loop. This give a even ball nock instead the lopsidedness of the d-loop knot. And then should you replace the d-loop your nocking point is still there.
    Hi Sonny, your hand swelling gone down?
    Yes, I have the same DLoop setup, two tied nocking points with the Dloop knots on the outside of the tied nocks. Works beautifully. I ordered some BCY #24 string. The string I'm using now, for some reason, doesn't melt into a good size mushroom.

Carl