Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bohning Platinum glue

Sonny Thomas

Default Bohning Platinum glue

Over on AT seems lots of people are having problems with today's Bohning Platinum and some bad mouthin' it pretty hard.

So I broke down today and I bought a new tube of Bohning Platinum glue. In big is the name Platinum. The older tubes had name smaller. At home so I used my old Martin stand alone jig with helical clamp. Had to adjust and got what looked like a good seat.
    Removed Bohning vanes from arrow. Used Bohning's Stripper to make sure old glue was removed.
    Used Scotch Brite to further clean and scuff.
    Washed/cleaned with hot water and wiped dry with paper towel. Would have used denatured alcohol, but hardware store was closed.
    Used matching vane in far end of clamp to help seat vane being glued.
    Gave 5 to 7 minutes for each vane before turning and removing from jig.
    Went straight to garage and assembled target bow. Set new 20 yard target.
    No warming up, just shooting. First shot high in bull's eye. Next 4 piled in closer to where they ought to be.

Will use it for every target in the 3D 30 target event tomorrow. Got that much faith in the new done vanes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That's the only stuff I use been doing my own arrows for years and I wont use anything else........

Post Thanks / Like

Dollar store super glue gel 3 tubes for buck my arrow do not know the differance
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    Dollar store super glue gel 3 tubes for buck my arrow do not know the differance
    Same here TEN RING. Loctite gel lasts quite awhile and perfect for the job. Besides read the ingredients same as fletching glue!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

AAE glue has worked on all vanes I have used over the years. Got one bad bottle of goat tough, the vanes fell off like they were put on with water. The dealer told me that goat tough had a bad lot an yep I had the lot #. It seems that glue has shelf life.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Sonny Thomas

Pretty dang brutal conditions and dang lucky I made it through. But I shot every target with the new fletched arrow with the new Bohning Platinum. Right now I gotta say somebody ain't doing something right if they can't get the new Bohning glue to stick vanes. What I ought do is link this to Bohning and ask for a sponsorship. Nope, Bohning ain't sweet heartening me one bit. This is all on my own. That dang stuff works!!!!!

Pic of new fletched arrow - 35 consecutive shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Pretty dang brutal conditions and dang lucky I made it through. But I shot every target with the new fletched arrow with the new Bohning Platinum. Right now I gotta say somebody ain't doing something right if they can't get the new Bohning glue to stick vanes. What I ought do is link this to Bohning and ask for a sponsorship. Nope, Bohning ain't sweet heartening me one bit. This is all on my own. That dang stuff works!!!!!
    Bohning is all I used back in the early 90's before I quit archery, not a single problem, aluminum or carbon. Fast forward to today, I'm refletching all my old arrows and that old early glue is stuck tight as can be.

Used Platinum again last week and the vanes fell off.....ah let me explain, I forgot one step or was it lazy me? probably the latter.

Forgot to wipe the vane sticking surface and cleaning the arrow thoroughly before gluing. That made all the difference in the world. They are stuck tight!

Anyway, I like the long nozzle on the tube.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Yes, Carl, arrow prep is probably the greatest cause for vane/glue failure. People don't remove the old glue properly. That little shiney spot, usually longish, is the old glue. They don't scuff the arrow properly. Scotch Brite works well and I understand some vane company suggests Comet - Yep, that stuff for cleaning stains from the kitchen sink and more.

Instructions by the vane makers should be adhered to. The Fusions that people complain about, the ones with the clear base, require ??? type glue. Bohning works, but the base tends to bubble. Bohning suggests no cleaning of the base of their vanes as they are treated and ready to glue.

Rubbing alcohol. Why is it called "rubbing?" Most rubbing alocohol runs from 50% 70% Isopropyl alcohol. What's the make up of such? A lubricant.

Acetone works, but it also desolves and should be used with care. Get it on that pretty camo dip on the arrows and guess what? Yeah, take your pick; smudged or smeared or good as gone.

Again, I prefer denatured alcohol. It cleans and it dries in rapid travel, seconds.

Proper seating of the vane is probably second for vane/glue failure. I don't care if you have to turn the jig upside, use a flashlight, use some type of dye, but the base needs properly seated to the arrow.
    Like my steps above, depending on the jig and clamp, I use two matching vanes, one in the far end of the clamp, when gluing the shorter vanes. Not only does this help seating the vane, but if one is used when adjusting the jig you can get a better view of the seating of the vane.

Has anyone noticed I haven't short changed or bad mouth other glues? Hey, they work, just work better than I want sometimes. Vanes get abused, they age and they need replaced. Using a "hammer and chisel" to remove the old glue is not my idea of fun. Nor do I like the coating of the arrow coming off while trying to get the old glue off.
    I could make a list of the glues I've used, but just point out one that is good. Fast Set. Those who have just carbon arrows have probably noticed the "case hardening" effect of the shaft around the vanes being glued. Pretty, but something is happening there. Heat? Chemical reaction?

I guarantee my fletching....within reason - abuse, no. I'm that sure of my work....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the 411. I was using AAE and am going to try the platinum I guess. Because it can be hard to remove. I don't use any fletching that requires prep. That is just silly. What am I spending all that money on? Any way, thanks.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

SONNY THOMAS: "Again, I prefer denatured alcohol. It cleans and it dries in rapid travel, seconds."

I have a couple gallons of denatured alcohol, use it in a alcohol lamp to do hot melt sticks for the points and to install new pads in my clarinet as well as cleaning arrow shafts.

Carl