Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Waiting 6 Months

Post Thanks / Like

Default After Waiting 6 Months

I'm here to tell you guys that I finally got my 30# Diablo TD bow that I ordered in February. First thing I had to do was put it together which turned out to be harder than doing a compound. Tolerances on the limbs were so tight that installing them was a chore. I should know better but installed the limbs backwards. Bottom to top is what I mean. Installed a Cavalier Free Flight rest from the junk drawer and eyeballed centershot. Nocking point 1/4" high.

Took it out to shoot the next day without checking too much and in the first 10 shots the string popped off the top limb twice. Slapped my arm pretty good, too. So now I'm checking it out and the top limb was twisting badly. Got a call into Brandon right away, which tuned out to be lunch time Friday. They're closed so I gotta wait till today.

In the meantime I did a thorough inspection. Swapped the limbs top to bottom and checked the brace height----6 1/4". Hmmmm. Supposed to be 7" so I start twisting the string. 30 twists later it measures exactly 7". Lo and behold the limb twist is gone and the string is laying in it's grooves. Added some puffs to dampen the string vibration and pull out some heavier arrows---ACC 3-28, 500 spine weighing 330 gr. They shot like crap but did group. Guess what? No arm slap and no limb twist. Seems I learn something new all the time. Just on a whim I yanked some old aluminum 2114 arrows out to give them a try. Only have 4 and they are of the glue-on nock variety so that tells you how old they are. Arrow flight greatly improved. I'm so used to compounds that the arch is like comparing a football to s golf ball. WOW, but I was shooting some decent groups out to 25 yards.

I've still got some experimenting to do. Going to try my GT 22 series carbons or other arrows and need to paper and/or bare shaft tune. Need to work on form, too. It's been 38 years or so since I shot a recurve and fingers. Now to wait for that call back from Brandon so I can tell him the problem was all mine---dumb.

Also, I haven't forgotten the rules. Pictures to be added as soon as I clear off all the other crap on my camera.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats.!!! I really like the Diablo TD. My '13 Alien had a really tight fitment at the limb pocket/rotocups also, which caused some issues, but was easily cured.
    Couple questions; what type of string comes with it and will the wood 'Thermal' grip bolt right on?
    Also would really like to know what the centershot measurement ends up at once you have it tuned.
    Nice bow. Hope it works out well for you.!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Congrats.!!! I really like the Diablo TD. My '13 Alien had a really tight fitment at the limb pocket/rotocups also, which caused some issues, but was easily cured.
    Couple questions; what type of string comes with it and will the wood 'Thermal' grip bolt right on?
    Also would really like to know what the centershot measurement ends up at once you have it tuned.
    Nice bow. Hope it works out well for you.!
    I'll let you know on the centershot. I just got back from my club and gave my 22 Series arrows a try. 300 spine at 30# isn't supposed to work, but they didn't look all that bad considering. Without removing the rubber grip I'd say the wooden side plates should fit. There might not be a hole thru the grip to bolt them up, but I'm sure a drill would take care of that. The string is black Dacron so you can use that or B50 for a replacement. I'm not sure about the newer B500. Maybe Hutch can help with that.

I know there have been a fair amount of complaints about the servings unraveling, but if that happens I'll just reserve it and get it right. So far no problems although it's only seen about 100 shots. Time will tell, but I never consider it a problem. I've been my own bow shop since day one some 40 years ago. I'm the only person who has ever worked on my bows.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason when I try to upload my pics get kicked out. I've resized them as usual (800x600). Anybody help?
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bow Barry, Have you tried to post a pic through Photobucket? That's how I post most of mine seems to work well.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barry, that bow have reinforced limb tips?
    What string material does it have on it?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Barry, that bow have reinforced limb tips?
    What string material does it have on it?

Hutch
    I can answer both questions with one answer, Hutch. Dacron String. It definitely puts the arch back into archery.

Just came back from one of my two archery clubs. Shooting outdoors and it's getting a bit scary. I'm shooting at least 3 out of five, sometimes four, arrows into chest cavity of a small sized McKenzie at 20 yards. Considering I haven't shot fingers or a recurve for 38 years I'm well pleased. Of course, at 30# I'm not planning on hunting with it and at my draw length it's probably more like 25#. Still...... it's fun.

What busts my chops is that according to the arrow charts I should be shooting about a 730 Spine. Well just to shoot I grabbed some of my older arrows, ACC 3-18 and 3-28. The 28's shot the best but still not good. I grabbed some of my GT UL 22 series (300 spine) and they shoot pretty good. I also got hold of a couple 2114 alum (510 spine)and they shot even better. These are so old they still have the glue-on nocks.
    Last edited by bfisher; 07-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably B-55 or B-50. If it had reinforced tips you could go with a newer string material. But the best you can go with is Dyna Flite or as they call it D97

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear Bfish!! Can't wait to see the pics. I think this is what I'm asking for Christmas
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, nice to see you got the limb issue figured out. The charts are probably right with the .730 spine, I am shooting full length 1716s (with an 85 grain screw in point and 4" feathers) out of my lightweight Bear recurve; its 28# at my 28" DL and the bareshafts fly nice and straight.

I'm pretty sure the takedown limbs have reinforced tips, definitely looks like it in the pics on the Martin site.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba