Thread: Tight Nocks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tight Nocks

I have quite a few arrows that have the Marco BJ style nocks that fits the aluminum cone ends. The nocks are all a bit too tight on the string. I've heard remedies of dipping in boiling water to soften then fit on the offending string and let cool to size, drilling carefully and / or filing. Are these procedures OK?

Seems they make only the one size nock.

I'm already using a 12 strand string but the nocks are still a bit too tight.

Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 07-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no target archer by far, but one thing I have done without a noticeable effect on accuracy is to wrap a piece of 220 grip sandpaper around my string, then nock the arrow several times. That seems to sand down the nock equally until I get the fit I want. As long as the paper stays tight around the string, in theory it should sand both sides of the nock equally. All I can say is that it's worked well for me so far.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to reserve your string with a smaller diameter severing
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Sonny Thomas

Default Tight Nocks

One, make sure all your nocks are the same. Two, serve center serving with correct serving.

The nock is to snap on, but the nock is not tight once snapped on. It will move up and down.

Spreading the tangs, the boiling water thing, to me, wouldn't give consistency and neither would sanding.

I haven't found it to be true, but then I no super shot. Said is one should change arrow nocks every 100 to 200 shots. I don't know, I've some arrows with nocks old enough to vote and have been shot bunches of times..... What it is, is having the same amount of snap off each and every shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Marco BJ nocks were the same back in the 70's. Back then most strings had center serving made of monofilament. What I did back then was remove the center serving and reserve with 10# or 12# mono fishing line.

You can use the hot water trick or sand paper all you want, but if you plan on using the same nocks all the time there is no substitute to using the right size serving thread.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, I tried the hot water and it works but as Sonny says, it's pretty near impossible to get them all the same tension. Well the hot water and sanding will do for my practice sessions especially because their really old nocks but I know, I was afraid the answer is to re-serve the string. The problem with re-serving is getting my lazy ole behind moving...haha!

I should consider myself lucky though since I have all that stuff, spools of various gauges of serving both mono and HALO type materials in colors even. Just to make sure of the gauge, I'll wrap a sample 1/2" section down the string a ways and try the nocks for fit.

OK, one question, what is the best way to remove the existing serving? it's mighty close to the string.

Thanks!
    Carl

Sonny Thomas

Default Tight Nocks

Quote Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
    OK, one question, what is the best way to remove the existing serving? it's mighty close to the string.

Thanks!
    Carl
    Real carefully No, really quite simple. I use a box cutter, the snap-off, new blade kind. Just like a dull knife is the one that will hurt you, a dull knife and trying to cut the serving can result in a cut bow string.

The center serving is usually bulged just a bid where the tag end is under the serving. I find it and carefully whittle away until the serving comes loose. Once loose and started, I roll the serving on the bow string to loosen, grab near where the serving still kind of tight and pull steadily. The loose serving unwrap/slip right off. I cut that and loosen and roll and cut until all removed. Unwrapping one wrap at a time is a real pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Real carefully No, really quite simple. I use a box cutter, the snap-off, new blade kind. Just like a dull knife is the one that will hurt you, a dull knife and trying to cut the serving can result in a cut bow string.

The center serving is usually bulged just a bid where the tag end is under the serving. I find it and carefully whittle away until the serving comes loose. Once loose and started, I roll the serving on the bow string to loosen, grab near where the serving still kind of tight and pull steadily. The loose serving unwrap/slip right off. I cut that and loosen and roll and cut until all removed. Unwrapping one wrap at a time is a real pain.
    Pretty much what I do, Sonny. Once it's cut near the tag end just roll it till a couple inches is loose and then cut it. Then pull the tag end while I keep rolling the loose stuff. Take it off in sections. Now, as we may have experienced you don't have to do this with monofilament. Cut the tag end loose and it unravels real quick all on it's own. Found this out back in the days when I hit my arm guard and eventually it broke and unraveled.

Carl, there is a way to fix your problem that I would really recommend. Toss those old Marco nocks in the trash. Cut the taper off the back end of those arrows and install Easton Uni bushings. Then use Uni nocks or similar Bohning Signature nocks. You have to update your thinking. Honestly, nobody uses Marco nocks any more....LOL. Now when you do this you just have to figure out what size serving to use and how tight to make it to have a finished serving diameter of about .115". I like .110" but then I'm really anal about having a loose fit with my G-nocks.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Again thanks Sonny and bfisher: I'll order some Uni bushes and G Nocks today. Have to find my arrow cutting tool.
    Good point on the center serving bulge, that'll make the surgery a bit easier.

Update: Uni Bushings on the way. I ordered these arrows a half inch longer because I wanted to make it exact length for the clicker, so I'll get both things done at the same time.

Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 07-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very small Swiss Army Knife with a pair of tweezers and a toothpick in the handle. Nothing else works as good for me to remove seizing, the blade is kept razor sharp on a small DZ stone. Once you get it started the tweezers and pick finish the job great without harming your bowstring.