Thread: No longer quite as impressed

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default No longer quite as impressed

Having come from the Dacron/Stone age, I'd commented on here how wonderful I thought Martin's 'Hammerhead' strings were; well, they are in comparison to the Dacron Age, I guess. They seemed so stable, I decided a while back to go with a tubeless peep; a peep with NO tube to line it up!? Can't work. Well, the peep is great! But, the string - with probably a thousand shots on it total, three hundred with new peep - has now let the peep turn almost a full half turn. The string loop pulls it about perfectly, though, and, yes, I'll turn the peep around when I get around to it. But, a full strand has broke at the slide and the string is fuzzing at the strangest places; the center serving looks to be shooting loose but not at the nocking point; couple inches below that. 'Fuzzing'; between the peep, through the center serving and to where the STS serving starts, and a couple, three inches up each half of where the cable Y's. The most understandable, and most worrisome, is that the cable slide has evidently worn a strand of the string into. I assume the string can get in a lot worse shape before it's any real worry - the rest all looks brand new - but just reporting on a bit of disappointment.

G5 Meta peep, 1/4 and all what I've read of having a circle within a circle - centering the round sight guard within the peep - works! Kewl, something else new. I don't know why I didn't buy a Fletcher peep; either better in your opinions, cause I need another one? I loved my old Fletcher Hunter rope release, three finger type release, wish I could still use it, so got Fletch Hook upon restarting this hobby. Like it too!

Guess I'd better get a new string set, just to be on the safe side. Can anyone recommend a decent string builder that won't break the bank? {:>)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man you made it longer then most. But for the most part the hammer heads are mass produced which doesn't help. Sometimes you get a string that lasts along time like you or you get one that last 1 week like me.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default lol I assume you ain't done email check lately, Hutch?

Yours last a week, Hutch?! Guaranteed that long?! LOL perhaps I'd better re-read your post.... o

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd hope ours lasted more then a week or we'd be call hammer head jr. Lol

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Sonny Thomas

Default No longer quite as impressed

Well, strings on different bows maybe.... I have a 2011 Shadowcat with original HammerHead strings. Not that I didn't have trouble (servings coming loose for one). But something of 14,000 shots and still going. The bow string has always been tubeless as for the peep. Took 2 or 3 tries to get the peep where it's straight at full draw. Peep is maybe 1/8 turn off with bow at rest.

Hutch makes strings and many have said his are darned good and the just about every body and their brother makes strings if you look in AT. And they are all great strings. All you have to do is ask them
    So I'd give Hutch the first go.

Vapor Trail is probably the longest lasting strings I've had to date. They were custom ordered - two tone, black and flo green, with Halo servings drawn so serving is near clear. They were on the 2010 first run Shadowcat and on the improved 2010 Shadowcat. I'm guessing near 22,000 shots and barely a hint of the Halo becoming dull in one spot. Still have them cause their too good to just throw away.

I deal with one company. M&R Bow Strings. Roger delivers in about 3 days and guarantees his strings. chillicothe Custom Bowstrings is my back up string supplier. He'll match Roger cost for cost. He has his own brand of strings (I forget the name) that are selling big time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Hutch was the only choice for strings , if for no other reason;
    I've, surprisingly, come to enjoy this site and you, Sonny, and Hutch keep activity and interest active here, along with others; Bfisher, Don, Peace and others I can't name off the top. Surprisingly, because I'd have never imagined myself participating in a ahh.... an internet social activity site, I guess you'd call it. While, when looking for archery information and ideas, I'll most often end up on the Archery Talk site for answers, this site I check in on often as I find the people interesting and, I guess, it's small and 'comfortable'. While I'll never have the passion for archery some here do, I find it fascinating to vicariously share others passion for the sport; that carrying of it to a higher level like Sonny on the competitive level, Hutch on the entrepreneurial. I've had that passion for other things, I hope everyone has, and it's interesting to see it here. While I don't often reply, generally having nothing constructive to add, I end up reading all the posts here. So, yeah, Hutch strings ! For similar reasoning as my 'twenty years later' loyalty for a Fletcher release. The tube peep; well, that just showed my antiquated thinking!

As a side note, I'm now down to ten arrows. For a backstop, I have three 'ton' bales of straw stacked about 25 yards from our back porch; 4X4X8 foot bales of straw that weigh about 1200 pounds - they're just called 'ton' bales. The two missing arrows struck in between the top and middle bale so went in much deeper where there was less resistance. That's right, I MISSED a FOUR foot by EIGHT foot bale of straw at twenty five yards! TWICE!!... Unless you really like the color purple, don't hold your breath waiting to hear of me winning any big archery shoots!......o