Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Firecat 4400 XR Series - Help with set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Firecat 4400 XR Series - Help with set up

Hullo,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me. I recently won a Martin Firecat Pro Series 4400 on ebay. It's old, but in excellent condition and looks as if it just needs a string change after not being fired for some time. However, when I took it to our local archery store, they didn't seem too willing to touch it and I couldn't get much info off of them as to what to do to get myself off and shooting safely- as I would really like someone to have a professional look at it before I loose my first arrow.

Ideally I would like to bring the draw length down a little, or if I need to, completely change the modules- if they are still available as I am aware it is quite an old bow. I have no info as to what the draw length or poundage is of the bow as the sticker on the limb has worn away, but I am guessing it's around 45lb as I can just about pull it to full draw, which is around 28" if I pull to my cheek (like I do for recurve).

I am fairly new to archery and have been shooting a recurve, barebow style, - so I have no idea how a compound should be set up - which was why I was hoping our local shop might have been able to help. I am a female archer and I currently shoot 34lb at 28" if that's of any help. I live in Yorkshire in the UK and would love to know if anyone could recommend people/shops they might know where I could get this lovely bow set up for me, as I don't mind spending a bit of money (within reason) on it, and getting it back to its former glory. If the work is possible to do myself, to change the draw length and poundage accordingly, then I am willing to give it a shot as my partner shoots a compound and with the right knowledge would probably be able to help me.

Any advice or help would be most appreciated. If I have failed to include any important info, please let me know and I'll let you know if I can! It's difficult working out what I need to ask, but all I really want to do is find out if my bow can be set up for me to shoot with, and most importantly if it's safe to do so, due to its age. I have included some photos of the cams, limbs etc below.

Many thanks in advance,
    I look forward to reading your replies.
    Cheers,

Zoe x

Limb2.jpg

Close up Cams2.jpg

Cams2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

You can adjust the draw weight by tightening or loosening the limb bolts.
    First I would turn both the top and bottom bolts all the way in. This will put the bow at its max DW.
    Then back them out evenly until they are both 5 turns out.
    This will put it at its minimum DW.
    Try drawing it there and see how it feels for you. If its too light you can turn them back in equally to your desired feel.
    The cams (wheels) should have 3 slots in them. The cable that the string attaches to will run thru one of them on the top and bottom cams. These are to adjust the draw length. By moving the cables (top and bottom) to a different slot you will shorten or lengthen the DL, depending on where it is now and which direction you go.
    Nice old bow.!!! I still own one of those also.
    And Welcome to MTF.

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker, I've been hunting high and low (google, AT, here) for info on the wheels on this bow. I could have told the OP what you did, but wanted more info first. Do you remember what these wheels were called? At first I thought flite wheels, but found that flite wheels weren't adjustable. They're not Sonic Wheels are they? Also do you know about what year bow this might be?

We got to keep helping this young lady.

Barry
    Last edited by bfisher; 07-25-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Martin Firecat 4400 XR Series - Help with set up

Barry, PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Barry, PM sent.
    Yes, I got it. I was just looking closer at those wheels and they have modules or at least appear to.

Darkstar, is there any designation stamped or embossed on those modules?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    I just got in from practice and told everyone I was excited that I had found a forum that might be able to help, and already I feel as though I have come to the right place. Thanks so much to everyone who has replied so far.

Sadly I could not see anything stamped on the modules and I had a good look all over them. I have taken a really close up picture of the cams though, (please see below) as I'm not too sure if I can see three slots in them. I can certainly try doing what Spiker suggested with the limb bolts though. I think I will need to change the string for sure, but I imagine they are easy enough to still get hold of.

Anything else anyone can suggest would be most appreciated. I love this bow and have grown more and more attached to it even though I was told to just put it back on ebay. I'm not giving up on it that easy lol!

Thanks again,
    Zoe x

Camcloseup.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Zoe, I have the exact same bow, in fact two of them. I bought them new in 1992 and they are shooting fine to this day. I have one with round, I think they are called Flite wheels (cams) and does have three draw length adjustments.

My other one has the same cams you have called "Quik-change Energy Cams and the draw length is not adjustable except with different modules, there are seven different draw length modules, each changing the draw length one inch. The big question is where to get the modules.

That's about all I know about them.

Update: I was able to find the user manual that came with the bows, it doesn't go into too much detail just general usage but you may find something interesting in it. I'll see if I can take some photos of the pages over the weekend and will post it here.

Carl
    Last edited by carl365; 07-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great, Carl, thanks loads x

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums, Zoe..... I know NOTHING.... but welcome and somebody sure will.....o {:>)