Thread: Scouting

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scouting

Scouting!!
    When do you guys usually scout for deer?
    What do you look for?
    How long do you scout for?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I want to learn new areas around here, I go after the season or in the spring(also always looking while turkey hunting); try to stay out during the summer and fall. The only exception would out of town/state hunts, I'll go on short scouting trips to minimize disturbance and always wear rubber boots and try to be scent free. When scouting I look at the big picture first, the lay of the land, food and water sources, bedding areas; then try to narrow it down based on sign on the ground, tracks, droppings, rubs/scrapes, etc. But what I'm really looking for in the end is a good funnel near the sign, they need to come close for a shot; also looking for the right tree, or a spot hunt from the ground with something for cover. From there I look for the best route to get to and from the stand.

Some of my best hunts have been the result of scouting on the fly, treestand on my back and head into the woods looking for a good spot to setup with fresh sign. The deer come through relaxed and have no idea I'm there. Finding a rubline in early October in the oaks for an afternoon hunt can work out really good.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    When I want to learn new areas around here, I go after the season or in the spring(also always looking while turkey hunting); try to stay out during the summer and fall. The only exception would out of town/state hunts, I'll go on short scouting trips to minimize disturbance and always wear rubber boots and try to be scent free. When scouting I look at the big picture first, the lay of the land, food and water sources, bedding areas; then try to narrow it down based on sign on the ground, tracks, droppings, rubs/scrapes, etc. But what I'm really looking for in the end is a good funnel near the sign, they need to come close for a shot; also looking for the right tree, or a spot hunt from the ground with something for cover. From there I look for the best route to get to and from the stand.

Some of my best hunts have been the result of scouting on the fly, treestand on my back and head into the woods looking for a good spot to setup with fresh sign. The deer come through relaxed and have no idea I'm there. Finding a rubline in early October in the oaks for an afternoon hunt can work out really good.
    Not a whole lot to add to this. The bucks here in Ohio are in velvet and growing, the velvet should be coming off towards the end of August and be actively rubbing. As CaptJJ said while out in the woods always look for trails and signs. I did start using the internet as well to look for water sheds local to my area with public hunting area to check out.

Post Thanks / Like

Google is a plus. helps me locate the openings in the cedars.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

About the same as everyone else has said. Scout heavily while I turkey hunt. Take a scouting trip when I go to take down stands. Usually spend a few nights every fall with a spotting scope or binocs and watch the fields a few weeks before season opens. Good way to tell where they are coming out and going in. Then I'll scout once while I hang and or move stands. Usually do that about 3-4 weeks before season opens. Picked up a few more acres to hunt this year, so I've been looking at it on Google Earth. Really makes it easy to pick out the most likely places to scout. Good way to see waterholes, pinch points, food sources, etc.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.