Thread: Is it OK to adjust limbs until bottomed out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it OK to adjust limbs until bottomed out

I have a 45/60lb Monster Buck Hunter and was wondering if it is OK to wind in the limbs to the max 60lbs. That is so the limbs bottom out in the limb pockets.
    A friend told me that it's not good to do this because it doesn't allow any movement and that I should wind them back from max at least half a turn.
    There is no reference in the manual about maxing out the limbs.

Sonny Thomas

Default Silhouette

Bottoming out the limbs does no harm, but what you do is "feel" the bottoming out - tighten until you feel the bolt/limb stop - don't apply pressure. You might a need to do a trial and error a bit, but you won't hurt anything as long as you don't use force. Okay, you don't want to crush the limb. If you want to tighten down, not force, and back off a 1/4 turn, fine, just make sure you do each the same.

Of limb breakage, I've seen just as many bows with broken limbs with limbs backed off as I have with bows with limbs maxed out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen most suggest bottoming out, tighten down till the limb seats flush to the riser in the pocket and then taking a quarter turn out.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks for the tips.
    I've tightened them in until they "felt" bottomed out.
    Then measured with a bow scale and got 60lb.
    Tuned the sights and go to go.
    Can't feel any difference in bow vibration (this monster buck has a twangy string anyway) but arrows shoot a little flatter.
    Good to go!
    Thanks heaps for the advice.