Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about the martin brand.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about the martin brand.....

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I've been pondering something that I thought that some of you might be able to provide some input on. Years ago, I was a pretty avid archer....nerve competitively, but always had a target butt set up in the back yard and loosed many thousands of arrows from the time that I was about 7 years old and older. Then, about 15 years ago, I dropped out of archery and am just now getting back in. Those years ago, Martin was considered to be a "cream of the crop" bow....a bow that was built better and certainly a lot better looking than most of the Bear, PSE, Oneida and other bows that I shot. I always wanted to own a Martin, but until a couple of years ago, never did. Now I notice that there seems to be a lot of negativity heaped upon the brand.....everybody seems to put the brand down and put it into a "cheap" bow cataegory.....just no respect for the brand. Have they really fallen that badly, or do any of you think that it's just a cyclical thing? Just curious as the brand doesn't seem to have that cachet that it used to have. Of course, now that they've been sold, most of this probably doesn't matter because they may cease to be, but I'm really curious as to what happened during the 15 or so years that I was absent. Sorry that I rambeled a bit, but I wanted to try to put this question in context. Thanks for your thoughts.....and good shooting!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO this is due to the fact that the other companies pound so much time, effort and money into their marketing that they hit the market so hard that they become all the new-comers know and what they think they HAVE to own because everyone else does and how much they boast about them. Martin is a quality bow at an unbelievable price. Have there been issues lately, yeah sure, everyone has issues it's just that when Martin does everyone immediately jumps on the hate-wagon to stroke their ego in the fact that they bout a $1100 bow while they don't know how to set it up or tune it themselves.

The impact with recent issues with ownership and change over is still to be unseen and probably impossible to predict. They have stated that they plan to move forward in big ways in 2013 and going forward, I just personally haven't seen a lot of this push. Some new bows and changes to the line have been nice but I think there is plenty more opportunity to better the brand and get back to the recognition they once had and deserve.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot PSE, Bear, Hoytt and frankly, I wouldn't trade my scepter v for any of them. I think Martin could do better in some areas but bow design isn't one of them. Having said that the recent ownership issues have left everything in the air as far as I'm concerned.

Until we know what's going to happen to the brand, I would recomend patience.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

you cant compare martin to other 1000 dollar bows, their are plenty of other bows on the market that arent 1000 bucks, the bowtech assassin is a 6-700 ready to hunt bow "and im not a bowtech fan" . martin has failed because of their marketing, and believe it or not their customer service issues. you only hear about the good customer service experiences on here, believe me their is a plethera of unsatisfied customers out there. i do however wish them the best
    IM BACK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, guys. There seems to be a range of opinions about the quality of the product, but based upon what I'm seeing in todays bows, they seem to be solidly built. Bearings where there should be bearings, aluminum where that works best, quality strings, machined cams.....just a good bow. Add that to the fact that they seem to have a great "feel" when you pick them up, I just don't get the pounding that they keep getting on the forums. Maybe I'm missing something....perhaps I've been out of archery for too long.....there's got to be a reason for the disrespect for the brand. It is true that their bows are no longer the beautiful works of art that they were years ago....but then, everyone's eles's bow is nothing but a conglomeration of metal today as well. Anyway, your opinions and insight are very interesting....if anyone else has input that will add to the discussion, I'd really appreciate it. Like I said, the logic just isn't there to support the denegration that they get at every opportunity. Take care all.

Post Thanks / Like

ill give martin this, they have been able to produce the lightest aluminum riser bows on the market in the last few years with most of their bows under 4 pounds thats definetly pretty incredible. i had a good experience with my single cam exile, it was a killer
    IM BACK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap/inexpensive

"Cheap refers to quality; inexpensive refers to price" - an old quote from... well, from me.

I'm an internet educated expert on bows; in other words, don't put much if any store in my words. But, I THINK - yeah, I know, should quit doing that. Anyone with a clearer understanding, PLEASE correct me - I THINK what I read was that, a few years back, PSE had a bunch of problems with risers; something any of the companies could have been caught up in. They all, for costs sake, had their risers machined out of house. But, it was PSE that ended up suffering because of the lack of control of this major component. They just happened to get 'caught' first then they and all the others saw the wisdom of doing their machining in-house so they had complete quality control. It hurt PSE badly but they, Pete Shepley, took the terrible financial beating and stood behind their products; made it right for their customers. My understanding is that Martin suffered a similar setback with regards to their limbs for a while, but, with their Power Tuff limbs, seem well past that problem now. More importantly, it's my understanding they also stood behind their products and 'made it right' for their customers. What is it the elephant groom says; "Stuff happens"? Like the groom, so long as a company stands behind their products and clean up any messes, that's about all one can ask.

To meet my criteria; a longish draw length bow, highly adjustable in weight to help me work back from some heart troubles, I narrowed it down to two in the 'inexpensive' price range; PSE's Rally and Martin's Cougar, finally going with the Martin after comparing all aspects, especially the cams and the speed ratings; 330 to, I believe, 308. I think I also like the Fury XT cam settings better. I would also think (there I go again) it is logical to assume it would just take better engineering and physical building of a bow to make them faster; that's why faster bows would logically be more money. For a similar price, I went with the faster Martin and am satisfied with the quality. How good the PSE is; don't know, didn't buy one, but I do know my Martin is NOT a 'cheap' bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Well put Otis. I don't believe that Martin makes "cheap" bows. They do make inexpensive (comparatively) bows, and some bows that are more expensive as well. But by and large the biggest reason that Martin's bows are less expensive doesn't come down to material or craftsmanship, but the fact that they don't spend alot on marketing, a point brought up earlier. What the other companies have, are bows that have pretty much the same construction costs, the material costs, and the same type of overhead and profit margin. Bows that then have to have the cost of all that marketing added to them, otherwise the marketing would eat up the profits... So yes Martin bows are less expensive, but not cheaply built.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Sonny Thomas

Default Question about the martin brand.....

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    the fact that they don't spend alot on marketing, a point brought up earlier.
    Well, Martin was on the inside and back pages of quite a few magazines and Laura was the stand out
    And there was the other Martin girls along with Laura and they all passed. Laura then became the only one. Now, she was at several Nationals that I know of. So someone was footing the bill. Yeah, one of the guys (I won't say he shoots for PSE). And he tells me; "You think we have our binoculars with us to look at targets when Laura is around?" I'll say this; She was a attention getter for Martin and she's a attention getter now.

Post Thanks / Like

there are plenty of inexpensive bows on the market, martins higher end bows werent exactly cheap either, mission makes plenty of inexpensive bows, and they seem to hold up pretty dang good too, so once again inexpensive and cheap isnt the same thing.
    IM BACK!!!!