Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about the martin brand.....

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned and shot most of the BIG 3 and owned five Martins bows over the past few years. Just my experience and having some knowledge of business I truly believe Martin missed the boat. Like IBM did years ago with strategic planning. They (Martin) produced some quality bows at a great price and the big 3 pounded the marketing scene over the past five years and the young bow hunter has bought into the cool-aid. Yes Laura got some looks but didn't produce sales. + Most of the big 3 are producing in house limbs & risers currently. Martin had issue with limbs once they left Barnsdale and went with Gordon limbs. Power Tough are Gordon limbs also. Out of the five Marin bows that I have owned "date from 2008-2012". I've had four sets of limbs break, two set of cams. Both cams that went bad were the Nitro 2.0, one bad bearings and the other just broke, (metal fatigue?). I didn't like all of the Martins but the two I did liked were the 2012 Pantera and my 2011 Fire Cat 400, the FC 400 is a custom bow with new coating and Barnsdale limbs. I just wish that I had better luck with the limbs and Cams. Martin CS took care of the issues but it was a big hassle to my dealer, working with Martin CS on those issues is why my dealer no longer is a Martin dealer. The dealer will only perform warrantee issues on Martin bows purchased at his store only prior to him leaving Martin. The new Martin management needs to get the boat turned around with a few quality bows that have a wide arrange of ATAs that will draw the young bow hunter and 3D shooter back and get positive comments on other forms. Hiring another Laura may get a quick look only.
    Last edited by Tosi; 07-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

i couldnt have said it any better, great response ranger
    IM BACK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had Martin bows since the late '80's.
    Probably have owned about 40 of them.
    Some I've put upwards of 20,000 arrows thru.
    I currently have 7 Martin/Rytera's hanging in my basement.
    I've had 1 limb failure out of all those bows in all those years and it was on a new bow with only about 40 shots on it and it had Barnsdale limbs.
    Martin has been using Gordon Glass blanks for a long long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to see the hugh variability of ownership experience.....Rangers6/Tossi owns 5 Martins with limb breakage on 4 bows. Alternately, Spiker has owned 40 Martin bows over the years....with only a single limb failure. Pretty far ranging experiences. Maybe this is why there's no commonality in the story told by Martin owners. It ranges from impossibly bad to extremelly good. Maybe that explains, too, why a brand from the past that seemed destined for archery greatness is now fighting off the dogs, leaving companies like Matthews to occupy the bully pulpit that Martin should own. A really curious story......perhaps with new owners and new direction, they'll once again return to pre-eminence. It will be interesting to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

if there is something to return to
    IM BACK!!!!

MI1

they need to get a real engineer and better workmanship and a true sales and marketing team....pretty much a big overhaul!

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by baerman View Post
    I'm beginning to see the hugh variability of ownership experience.....Rangers6/Tossi owns 5 Martins with limb breakage on 4 bows. Alternately, Spiker has owned 40 Martin bows over the years....with only a single limb failure. Pretty far ranging experiences. Maybe this is why there's no commonality in the story told by Martin owners. It ranges from impossibly bad to extremelly good. Maybe that explains, too, why a brand from the past that seemed destined for archery greatness is now fighting off the dogs, leaving companies like Matthews to occupy the bully pulpit that Martin should own. A really curious story......perhaps with new owners and new direction, they'll once again return to pre-eminence. It will be interesting to watch.
    That in bold. Well, there is no resting on your laurels either. I remember Martin being the bow to have. World greats owned and shot Martins and then....then all ceased almost over night.

About the only ones I know who still shot Martins when I returned to archery or at got deep in archery was Terry and Sally Wunderle. The one picture of Sally in a Martin ad does not do her justice, nor her size. She was no bigger than a well used bar of soap! I've met Sally and spoke with her personally. Been years back, but last I spoke with Terry he was getting his Martin Slayer turned down for turkey season so he could handle it as his shoulder was giving him fits. Terry is one of the people who can't go under the knife without the threat of not waking up, so surgery was only if a life or death situation.
    Back to Sally, 22 time Women's National Champion, 3 time World Champion and holds 8 World records. Don't know if they were are with Martins, but she shooting a Martin when I first met her and the last time I spoke with her. And when I first met Sally she was only 17 time Women's National Champion. (I like that, only 17 times)

Gary Studt and John Wheeler were the last to do something for Martin. Don't know about Gary, but John hasn't done anything exceptional since he and Martin parted. Me took a dim view of John going elsewhere. I mean Martin shucked out some coins for is performance at Vegas and gave him a specially dipped Shadowcat of $100 bills. And then perhaps he had insight or was let go...

On the grass roots level we didn't see Martin doing much or at least nothing was being mentioned. I was in the midst of several area Martin Staff Shooters and they weren't doing anything. How they got a "ride" was beyond me. I couldn't get a "ride" from Martin, but of the Staff Shooters I helped/supported saw what I was doing and loaned and sold me Martin bows at their cost. I placed, won, and took about a dozen High Overalls in club 3Ds in two years. I placed in 3D State ASA events and won twice in the only two ASA Indoor DAIR Qualifiers held in the State of Illinois, earning high overall in the last. The next year all Martin Staff shooters were gone...2012. I take that back. One Staff shooter remained, the one that traded his Shadowcat to me that he didn't like. He recieved a 2012 Scepter V and shot it, but only to keep his status (easier to get a "ride" if you already have one). He was shooting a Elite all along. I know because he shot at the shop and I sold him a white camo hat to match his white Elite something. He is now shooting for Fred Bear. Last I shot with him was about a month or so ago and I waxed him good and him using a range finder....And most know why I didn't shoot the 2012 Scepter V I had....

Yes, rattling off. But someone wants they have leave to remove my reply.....

Post Thanks / Like

The Limbs I had break were two on a 2009 Pantera, and believe it was before Power Tough and had two limbs break on my Fire Cat 400 which I change out to Barnsdale limbs just recently. Don't get me wrong I really hope Martin makes it and make it big as the underdog. I honestly believe that the company could become just a regional type of Archery Company in the North West. I started with Martin because I was tired of the Big 3 price tag. All of my Martins have shot great. As a customer and consumer I'll wait to see were Martin go's before buying another, but would say that the Pantera, Onza are some fine bows.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I know that marketing and buying most pro shooters has sold a ton of bows for a couple of companies. I know Martin did not spend the kind of money that the top sellers did, but then again Martins entire line of bows are not 600 dollars or more either. As for limb problems they all have them or had them. I thought some may be interested in reading this article from Arrow Trade Magazine concerning bow limbs.

http://arrowtrademagazine.com/articl...assProfile.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care about marketing hype, you can have a 1000 dollar bow and I won't care. Not that I can't afford one its just dang spending that much for a bow, that's more than a rifle. My experience with Martin has been good, I own an Alien X with barnsdale limbs 70# 29 dl, I also own a 2013 Alien, mag twin limbs 70# 29 dl. I have had no problems just concerns and now I'm ok with it. When I bought my bows I compared all attributes to one another and settled with the rytera and martin. Because each company and bows were not so much different, I left with a martin in hand because it performed well and very similar to other bows in its class. Saved me money and bought better accessories for my bows. I'm just waiting for reassurance from Martin that they will still be here, if not be another sad day in archery.