Thread: anchor point and draw length

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default anchor point and draw length

(i posted this over at AT earlier and got a few responses. wondering what you all thought)

hello, question concerning my current anchor point. shooting a 2012 martin silencer (70#, 29", trophy ridge revolution, g5 sight) and am considering changing releases to get the string up back in the desired mouth/nose area. I've been using this cobra release forever and have had good success shooting this way, but good can always be better, soooo. I like where my hand fits against my jaw and don't really want to move that but was wondering if I went to a shorter release if I would go to a 30" draw and get the string to where I had 2 points of contact and perhaps increase consistency. any opinions would be great. thanks

(decided to work on my release since it's old and needs updating anyway. the following is copied from AT post as well)

ok. finished modifying my release. I took about 2" out of it (it was adjustable but would only go longer if you can believe that!). tell me if this looks better. I just shot the one arrow but it was a bullseye so I don't think i'll have to adjust a whole lot. i'll probably get a new release (it no longer swivels after my customization) but I think it will give me a good idea of how long to get. this one will go in the hunting pack as a backup (to the backup).

so what do you all think?
    Last edited by firefighter42; 08-02-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there aren't any pics to see.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I used to anchor at the corner of my mouth. It did not allow for much downward travel of the sight. So, after many years, I relocated to under my draw. I had to use a kisser button for it to seem normal. I like that kisser now. Anyway l/s/s, iI had to shorten my release about 1/2 inch. I don't know if this info will help
    ps welcome to the forum.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what happened to the pics. then when I tried to fix them I lost the entire post altogether. lol. anyway, here is before and after removing 2" from my release. anchor point is the same and I haven't adjusted draw length, and it feels much more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics are here now. I'd like to see a couple from farther away for an overall assessment, but focusing on the release I have to say you made a good adjustment. Much better now and you look more comfortable and your anchor looks closer to where it should be; more natural looking.
    The angle of the first pic might be deceiving, but it looks like your bowarm is hyperextended. Either that or the elbow is really turned out. Hard to tell from the angle of the pic and how close the shot is. At this point I'd say you have the release just about right

With a full length shot we might be able to do some fine tuning on your form. First pic looks like your head is pulled back and you were leaning back. How is it now?
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-02-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default anchor point and draw length

????? firefighter started and bfisher #1 as Post?