Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a NEWBIE HEEELLLPPPP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a NEWBIE HEEELLLPPPP!

Whats up guys, I'm kinda new to archery as a whole and even newer to recurve. I jus got a Jaguar @ 40lbs and so far I'm loving it! I took the Whisker Biscuit and Spot Hogg 5-Pin off my old Martin compound. My groups at 10 yards arent too bad, I'm waiting for my Whisper Peep sight to get here in the mail. Anyway I've got a question. What type of rest do you guys recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome! I use a flipper type rest on my recurve, the kind with a single wire arm with a plunger. It allows the arrow to swing out in paradox going forward. I'm not sure if a whisker biscuit is suited for recurve, I assume your shooting fingers.

Anyway, wiser heads than me will answer.

Carl

Sonny Thomas

Whisker biscuits aren't all that friendly for any finger shooter and in my opinion, definitely not for a recurve or stick bow. The Flipper rest and plunger he noted are good for just about anyone and well suited for the beginner. Getting picky with experience, then the higher quality, more adjustable rests and spring plungers might suit you.
    I shot straight off the shelf for years with nothing but a quality felt pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Whisker biscuits aren't all that friendly for any finger shooter and in my opinion, definitely not for a recurve or stick bow. The Flipper rest and plunger he noted are good for just about anyone and well suited for the beginner. Getting picky with experience, then the higher quality, more adjustable rests and spring plungers might suit you.
    I shot straight off the shelf for years with nothing but a quality felt pad.
    Thanks, brother. I've read that flipper rests probably are the way to go for recurve, BUT the main thing I like about the WB (probably capture rests in general) is that I don't get that problem with the arrow swinging to left when I draw. SO far the WB hasn't been bad, I guess. As a matter of fact here a video I made of me shooting in the basement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwJTAF-Fc0

Sonny Thomas

You have to understand Archer's Paradox. String coming off the fingers has the bow string wobbling left and right. So, the vanes are probably "slapping" the biscuit instead of slipping straight through. A Flipper rest would let the arrow be the natural form of Archer's Paradox

Post Thanks / Like

I have just the video for Red.

Archers Paradox High Speed Video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    You have to understand Archer's Paradox. String coming off the fingers has the bow string wobbling left and right. So, the vanes are probably "slapping" the biscuit instead of slipping straight through. A Flipper rest would let the arrow be the natural form of Archer's Paradox
    Is there a containment style rest that also flips? What I don't like about the rest that came with it is that sometimes the arrow falls to left. I like doing 3 fingers, one on top, 2 on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a little trick to solve that "arrow falling off the rest to the left". Nock your arrow as normal, take your one over-two under finger grip, deep into the first creases, now roll the string inthe creases of your fingers so that the string is trying to twist the arrow into the bow's riser, now just draw as normal. Hope that helps you out Red!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    There's a little trick to solve that "arrow falling off the rest to the left". Nock your arrow as normal, take your one over-two under finger grip, deep into the first creases, now roll the string inthe creases of your fingers so that the string is trying to twist the arrow into the bow's riser, now just draw as normal. Hope that helps you out Red!
    Thanks, if it doesn't work for me I think I'll try this:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bodo...rrow-rest.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    Thanks, if it doesn't work for me I think I'll try this:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bodo...rrow-rest.html
    That rest isn't a good one for fingers. Your best bet is to try what Elkslayer said. Hook the string deeper into your fingers and as you draw you should just very slightly relax your fingers a bit and this allows the string to roll more toward the finger tips. This will, in turn, twist the string so that your arrow is forced onto the rest instead of off to the left. Once you learn it it will become quite natural and the incessant need for a containment rest will seem unimportant.

For a good finger rest, there are a few. I have a Cavalier Freeflight on my bow; the same as the AAE Freeflight. Main reason I use this one is that it was in one of my many junk drawers for the last 35 years. You could also use almost any of the flipper style rests with a cushion plunger. Cartel Star Hunter is another rest I've used extensively for both finger and release shooting. If really interested in a Bodoodle then you'd want to consider the Timberdoodle II. It's essentially the same as the Cartel except more expensive.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver