Thread: Need help identifying a take down bow.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help identifying a take down bow.

Hello, new member here. I just recently have gotten into archery, and long story short I traded some man cave stuff for a Martin Take down bow, I have no ideal what the name of the bow is and it is missing a arrow rest and who knows what else. For the moment I've just been shooting the arrows off the shelf with it.

It's a left handed take down bow which rules out the Jaguar from what I understand. It has a camo aluminum grip section with all sorts of holes some threaded some not, The limbs are black and say Martin, the only other writing on the limbs I can find is white letters that say at 28" #50 so I assume this is at 28 inch draw the weight is 50lbs? The guy included a manual with it but it's for the Jaguar so that has me really confused as everything I've read everybody says a left handed Jaguar was never made I asked the guy the name of the bow and said he thought it was a Tracer, but I can find nothing listed on the Martin website about a Tracer.

I can take some pictures and post them up if that would help, main reason for wanting to know about this bow is I'm looking for a sight rest that will fit it, mainly the stinger rest w/ mount it says it'll fit any martin bow so I assume this one would work? Also was curious if fast flight strings would be ok to use with it? Oh and any ideal where the length might listed on it? The string that came with it was a 14 strand 60" dacron so I'm guess it's the right string since I've shot it and it appears to be ok.

Any ideals what I've got here and what parts will work with it?

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good find, even if it is a lefty

I'm sure once you get some pics posted up we'll be able to identify it for certain.

Welcom to the forum!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

being as I'm a southpaw I was pretty stoked I actually found a left hand bow, usually when I come across trades it's for the righties but I think I scored pretty good this time haha. I had been shooting a old bow that belonged to my wifes father but it was a right handed bow while I could shoot it barn sides where safe from me

So here are some pictures of the bow in question.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Martin makes a couple of TD recurves, but I think you may have gotten some bad info. The limb pockets give away some info. These are used on the Jaguar TD from 2009 to this year so yours is at least a 2009. As far as I know the bow hasn't been changed since it's introduction. That being said the bow's length is AMO 60". My question is, does the string actually measure 60". Normally traditional strings measure 3" less than the AMO length of the bow, although they are packaged and marked for the AMO length of the bow.

Martin never made a Tracer traditional bow. Going back in earlier catalogs they only started making TD recurves in 2009 to the present. The only other two were the Saber and Diablo, both of which use the newer Roto-cup technology instead of standard limb pockets.

As for sight and rest (accessories) you can mount anything you like. The sight holes are standard 10x24 threads and stabilizer and rest holes are standard 5/16x24 same as all other bows. However, if you are planning on shooting fingers I would recommend a flipper rest/plunger combination or some other rest designed for finger shooting. These would include an AAE or Cavalier Freeflight, Cartel Star Hunter, Bodoodle Timberdoodle II. Something in those lines. You need something with side pressure to help control archers' paradox as the arrow leaves the bow.

Getting back to the string. Whatever length you need is just a guess on my part, probably 57", but you need one that is made of Dacron, BCY B-50, or B-55. I don't know whether the limbs would stand up to any of the no stretch, fastflight materials. I'm shooting a Diablo with the same limbs and it's just not worth the extra speed to take a chance on destroying the limbs. If you want a lot of speed then get a compound. I have a slew of them, too, but the Diablo is my play toy. Once the string is installed you need to measure the brace height and make sure it's at least the recommended 7".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

wow thanks for the info bfisher!

I've not measured the string yet, I was planning on ordering a new string this weekend as the one that came with it is fairly worn plus I really like the flemish twist over the dacron strings, I have a B-50 flemish twist string on the other recurve and it feels better in my fingers and it takes my otter fur silencers better. Would I be losing any accuracy or velocity by going with the B-50 over the dacron?

As for the rest you mentioned will these mount to the riser frame by screws/bolts or are they adhesive backed? Eventually I would like to hunt with this bow once my skill level has increased and I fear that the adhesive backed rest would fall off while out in the field. But I have no experience with them so maybe I'm worried about nothing. I will have to google those rests and check them out. A string and a rest is first things on my shopping list.

So I guess it's possible I have a very early Jaguar? That would explain the manual then.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a traditional shooter, but I do have the Jaguar compound before Martin made it a take-down. That riser doesn't look like the normal Jaguar riser, and you are correct, the Jaguar was only right-handed. You just might have a unique bow right there.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, welcome to the Martin Tech Forum!

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com