Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Silencer limb blew up today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Silencer limb blew up today

I was excited to have an afternoon off to shoot today so I went out back and after 50-60 arrows I heard a creeking sound while drawing and the snap! I thought something went berserk with rest at first since my nock wasn't lining up anymore but when I looked down I saw a terrible sight. the lower limb completely split. I've never had a limb break before. the bow is less than 2 months old and no, it has never been dry fired. I put a call into Martins customer service line and left a message. Hopefully they will get back with me today. For anyone who has had issues, is it better to take it to a local dealer or just send it back to Martin? The bow is a left handed 70 pound draw dual nitro cam model. Shoots fantastic. The draw stop is on the top limb so I think that can be ruled out as a possible cause for failure. I can change the limbs if they send me new ones but i'm guessing they want to do it. Any estimates on how long it will take and do I take accessories off when shipping it? Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

well I didn't hear back from them today. called about 4pm Oklahoma time and left a message then called later and they were closed for the day. hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare getting this thing repaired/replaced. I read in my manual to remove all accessories prior to shipping so that question is answered. I talked to a local shop in the area that does martin warranty work and they said bring it down in the morning so I guess that's what i'll do. this is my first martin and I really like it. anyone have any input on how they treat their customers? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. I hate it when that happens. Your best bet is going to be taking it to a reputable shop, and have them warranty the repairs. Martin will ship them new limbs, they'll put it back together for you. It will be faster than shipping the bow to Martin, and is also their preferred method of repair. Good luck, and God speed on the repairs!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Sonny Thomas

Sorry, man. That just plain...Well... Like wscywabbit said, take it to the dealer. Martin can ship limbs faster than you can send to factory and get it back.

Remember, unless the dealer is one of those with a soft heart, you have warranty for all parts, but labor is your's to bear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Remember, unless the dealer is one of those with a soft heart, you have warranty for all parts, but labor is your's to bear.
    i'm planning on taking it in tomorrow morning. if the dealer wants to charge for labor, do I have the option of just taking the new limbs and doing the repairs myself? i'm more than capable of doing the work, I just wasn't sure if for warranty purposes they would require that they (or the dealer) do the repairs.

Sonny Thomas

that would be up to Martin. If you do and it blows again and then that would be my concern. Dealer does it and you're in the clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Dropped it off this morning. I do have to pay for labor (he said $40-$50 approximately) but they said it should get done faster and I would have to pay to mail it in if I went that route. Hoping it doesn't take too long. He was pretty sure they would replace both limbs to make sure they are matched and from the same lot. I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter42 View Post
    Dropped it off this morning. I do have to pay for labor (he said $40-$50 approximately) but they said it should get done faster and I would have to pay to mail it in if I went that route. Hoping it doesn't take too long. He was pretty sure they would replace both limbs to make sure they are matched and from the same lot. I'll keep you posted.
    As all have said let your dealer do the work, you should be back in bussiness in about 2X3 weeks.. I will tell ya that you should look at a set of Barnsdale limbs for a replacement after you get your bow back from the dealer. Keep the new limbs from Martin but order a set from Barnsdale, they are superior to the current Martin Limbs and I have never had one go wrong. I have had four Martin limbs break from a 2009 model to 2011 also. That Silencer is a great bow and the Barnsdale Limbs will complement it. They are about a $150 a set but worth the $ and there CS is great.
    Last edited by Tosi; 08-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the heads up. i'll look into that. are they superior in performance (possible speed gain, tuning ease, etc) or mostly just more durable and dependable?

another thing about the dealer I took it to is that even though they are the only martin dealer close by, they only sell martin longbows, not compounds. that said I think they are capable techs and should have me up and running quickly. if i'm not mistaken, the timing shouldn't be complicated to set up with the nitro cams. as long as they don't take any twists out it should just be a remove and replace procedure, right?

Sonny Thomas

Just about always there is a need for a tweaking, usually small - new limbs, you just don't know. Could be the one that broke was a little....stuff like, but no big concern.