Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Silencer limb blew up today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter42 View Post
    thanks for the heads up. i'll look into that. are they superior in performance (possible speed gain, tuning ease, etc) or mostly just more durable and dependable?

another thing about the dealer I took it to is that even though they are the only martin dealer close by, they only sell martin longbows, not compounds. that said I think they are capable techs and should have me up and running quickly. if i'm not mistaken, the timing shouldn't be complicated to set up with the nitro cams. as long as they don't take any twists out it should just be a remove and replace procedure, right?
    I found that Barnsdale limbs are more durable and dependable for sure. On speed I was shooting my Fire Cat @ 29" draw and a 420g arrow at 284/283fps W/ trophy string and cables. Now with Barnsdale Limbs and 8190 String and 452X cables it at 288/289fps on my chrono. Nothing on the string and rest is a drop away. I would say it's string and limbs that add around 4fps. It's also set at about 68lbs right now. I can get 1or2fps if I tight the limb bolts down all the way. I like to back my limb bolts out about a turn or 1/2. on my set-ups. Also I'm shooting at 7300 feet.
    Last edited by Tosi; 08-09-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

GGGRRRRR! well I got my bow back from my local Martin dealer. where to start. he hands it to me and says it'll be $30. sounds fair to me so I pay him and walk over to the shooting range to put a couple arrows through it and make sure it feels alright. it does. then I notice something. "hey man, this is the wrong camo pattern." didn't notice it at first glance but when I saw a big green leaf on the limbs I realized it was vista camo and not the bonz camo. so now I got a 2 tone bow. he starts looking through the catalog telling me that they probably don't make that camo anymore, to which I show him in the catalog that they do. "oh they do, don't they." i'm about as easy to get along with as you are gonna meet, but I let him know we need to get the right limbs ordered. he finally agrees but can't get through to martin since they weren't open yet. ok, i'm feeling somewhat satisfied at this point that they will get it all straightened out. while i'm talking to him I notice there isn't an e-clip on the top axel. he starts looking around for one but can't find one that fits. so he puts A WRONG SIZED CLIP on! I ask him if he's comfortable with me shooting it like that and he says oh yeah, you don't even need them on there with all the tension on the cams. . he said he'd have them send one with the limbs if it would make me feel better. wow. I guess I am a very demanding person. oh and the little rubber cap that goes over the draw stop was missing too. he said they just throw those away cause it'll come off anyway. just for giggles I asked if he was gonna charge me labor to put the correct limbs on and he said we might be able to work something out. lol. needless to say i'll never shop there again. i'm wondering if since it sounds like the warranty isn't going to be worth much in the near future if I should just replace the limbs myself when (and if) they come in. I feel more confident in my ability than theirs. and a question for you martin guys that know infinitly more than I do, the new limbs are also numbered with a 4 and the old ones said 5. I pointed that out and he seemed confused. i'm guessing that means they are a lower weight. the bow was shooting about 3 inches low at their 20 yard indoor range (at first I attributed that to just needing to make some adjustments since it had all been taken apart, but really it should be close to dead on- shouldn't it?). do you think martin just sent those cause they needed to get rid of those limbs or what? I did look at the warranty work they sent martin and in fact they did order the bonz 70# limbs. just irritated that the dealer put the wrong ones on it instead of reordering immediately (although somewhat relieved to have a great shooting bow back in my possession before they possibly shut the doors on the place and sent me nothing). anyway, that's my little tyraid for today. if nothing else I can go outside and shoot a little. cup is half full, right? now if the shop doesn't make things right, that'll be a different story and I will be happy to name them publicly so no one else in the area goes to them.
    Last edited by firefighter42; 08-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Under the circumstances I'm surprised you got any parts at all, let alone just the wrong camo pattern. As for the deflection number? Just eigh the bow and see if it comes up to specs. There is the possibility that your old limbs peaked higher than 70#, not uncommon, and they didn't have any 5's left so just sent 4's which should peak about 5# less or around 68# if the string and cables are twisted to the right length. And 68# is within tolerance for bows these days. And I seriously doubt any north american animal would ever be able to tell the difference.

As for the bow shooting a bit low? Possibly the differene in draw weight, but maybe the shop installed the cables with a twist or so difference and that would change the nocking point in relation to the rest. One thing I would do is check the tune, whether it be paper, bare shaft, or whatever method you use. I would not expect much of a difference if looking at paper tears. Nocking point difference would only have to be different by about 1/32" to shoot 3 inches difference at 20 yards.

Now about the e-clip. Seems somebody dropped the ball on this. Who installed the limbs? At any rate this shouldn't keep you from shooting the bow for now. Just check once in a while and make sure the axle isn't sliding out. Your shop is wrong about pressure on the limbs keeping the axles in. It's partially limb pressure, but limb twist and vibration are also part of it, too. As I said, just keep an eye on it till the right parts come.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

good news. martin sent the correct limbs to the dealer and they just installed them free of charge so I am with a one camo pattern bow again. the dealer was very apologetic about the mistakes they made and did a great job this time of putting it back together. I wanted to shoot it at their indoor range before I left so I pulled out my 2 arrows and shot the first. 2" left of bullseye. I shot the second, and broke the first. happy in Oklahoma!

one quick question: the new limbs came with a blank sticker. does anyone know what the string lengths are for a 2012 70# silencer pro with nitro cams? thanks.

Sonny Thomas

Default Martin Silencer limb blew up today

Silencer Pro
    Nitro Hybrid Cam 7" 32.25" 25.5" - 30.5" 330-340 80% 50,60,70 3.5lbs

Post Thanks / Like

String lengths should be the same as the 2011 models, as the only real change was that the TRG/SOS system was ditched;

String: 55 1/4
    Cable: 36 7/8

If anyone has different info, please post up!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps