Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Martin getting auctioned off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy_camping View Post
    Wow, this is a sad day and I can't believe these things keep following me. My 2012 Bengal was the first new bow since my 1997 Golden Eagle Litespeed. If I'm correct that company was also out of business a few short years after. I'm not having great luck.
    Andy, I can tell you a short version of what happened to Golden Eagle as I was shooter for them at the time and I was shooting a Litespeed, too; 1998 model. Sweet bow if ever there was one.

1997 was my first year with GE. In 1999 GE got bought out by Bear/Jennings to form the North American Archery Group. That voided my contract as shooter for them so I moved on. They continued to make GE bows for a few years, incorporating Bear Limbs and other parts. If I remember right the GE line was discontinued in 2004 and I think Jennings went off the charts, too, at the same time or shortly thereafter. Although GE bows were not top-o-the-line they were always a good, inexpensive bread-n-butter hunting bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like
    2012 Rytera Nemesis - Sword Twilight Hunter Sight - QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away - WindJammer 7" Stabilizer - 438 Grain Beman ICS Hunter Elites - G5 T3's & QAD Exodus Swept Back Version

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the history Barry, thought that was the story.
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this news! Looks very much as if this is the end of the company. What a pity.

I have an Onza 3 and a Rytera Nemesis. I believe I can keep at least one of them in shooting condition for years to come, even if there would be no support from Martin. I used my Martin Phantom II from 2003 to 2011, without needing any support from the factory (and it's still working, I just don't use it anymore).

I am just happy that the bottom cam of my Nemesis didn't break in a 3D competition couple weeks ago. I was using a rope to bring it down from a treestand when the knot failed (not tied by myself) and the bow fell. It hit the ground cam first but all was OK. Would be just too exciting to try to order a replacement cam at the moment...

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Sonny Thomas

Default Martin getting auctioned off?

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Andy, I can tell you a short version of what happened to Golden Eagle as I was shooter for them at the time and I was shooting a Litespeed, too; 1998 model. Sweet bow if ever there was one.

1997 was my first year with GE. In 1999 GE got bought out by Bear/Jennings to form the North American Archery Group. That voided my contract as shooter for them so I moved on. They continued to make GE bows for a few years, incorporating Bear Limbs and other parts. If I remember right the GE line was discontinued in 2004 and I think Jennings went off the charts, too, at the same time or shortly thereafter. Although GE bows were not top-o-the-line they were always a good, inexpensive bread-n-butter hunting bow.
    You are correct, Barry. I thought it odd that Golden Eagle was on the verge of bringing out another bow and then....Gone. A Golden Eagle Rep gave this hype of the North American Archery Group would give Bear, Jennings, and Golden Eagle (maybe another bow company in there) means of Research/Development to rocket the group far beyond... Well, that didn't happen. All just about went belly up. Least wise Bear, Jennings and Golden became absent in our part of the country. All of course the demise of Golden Eagle followed. However, the GE Rep does have the rocket bow that didn't get on the market and I've many times tried to find the time to shoot it. B.B. says it screams. Something well over 300 fps and set to his short draw length, 27 1/2" and 50 some pounds of draw weight. He calls the cams what we called them way back when, hatchet cams.
    Shootable was what I would call Golden Eagle bows. Just about anyone could pick one up and shoot them. My GE Evolution was easy all around and dang accurate, just slow, about 240 fps if I remember correctly, shooting CE 300s (a bit heavy). My neighbor bought my bow when I turned to Hoyt and he's still shooting it. Not bad for a 1999 model - pre top wheel bearing. Says the only thing he's every done was put strings on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    You are correct, Barry. I thought it odd that Golden Eagle was on the verge of bringing out another bow and then....Gone. A Golden Eagle Rep gave this hype of the North American Archery Group would give Bear, Jennings, and Golden Eagle (maybe another bow company in there) means of Research/Development to rocket the group far beyond... Well, that didn't happen. All just about went belly up. Least wise Bear, Jennings and Golden became absent in our part of the country. All of course the demise of Golden Eagle followed. However, the GE Rep does have the rocket bow that didn't get on the market and I've many times tried to find the time to shoot it. B.B. says it screams. Something well over 300 fps and set to his short draw length, 27 1/2" and 50 some pounds of draw weight. He calls the cams what we called them way back when, hatchet cams.
    Shootable was what I would call Golden Eagle bows. Just about anyone could pick one up and shoot them. My GE Evolution was easy all around and dang accurate, just slow, about 240 fps if I remember correctly, shooting CE 300s (a bit heavy). My neighbor bought my bow when I turned to Hoyt and he's still shooting it. Not bad for a 1999 model - pre top wheel bearing. Says the only thing he's every done was put strings on it.
    Nothing but strings, huh? Sound like what I said. Just good bread-n-butter hunting bows. My first GE was a 1997 Wildfire and the one I had was a prototype. At 27" and 60# it would do 290 (5.5gr/lb). At 65# it did 304 fps, but those cams were too much for me at that weight. It did eventually crack a limb and the replacement limbs, which are what went into production, never hit the same speed. Closer to 270 fps.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

anyone know if there is any truth behind the rumor that martin is only getting rid of the traditional line?
    2012 Rytera Nemesis - Sword Twilight Hunter Sight - QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away - WindJammer 7" Stabilizer - 438 Grain Beman ICS Hunter Elites - G5 T3's & QAD Exodus Swept Back Version

Post Thanks / Like

such a terrible waste, I mean all I want to say is my short experience with Martin Archery has been nothing but positive. I own two remarkable bows and I will keep them as long as I live and use them as long as I can. If Martin archery is to be another statistic and lost in time I need to move on to another company. A Native of Washington State this news of closure or auctioning brings sorrow to my heart.

There is Alpine archery in Idaho, Bowtech in Oregon and my knowing history Elite used to be a Washington State company as well. Those are the only ones I know of correct me if I left some Northwest companies out. Now Martin archery to be gone.....man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kylecurtis04 View Post
    anyone know if there is any truth behind the rumor that martin is only getting rid of the traditional line?
    Naw... Just circling the wagons and reloading to wipe out all the oppressor's and deserters...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    As soon as I get some time guys I would like to hook up a forum on my website for all of us to go chill like we do here. Just got to research it. Not sure but we will see if I can.

Hutch
    what i want is a freaking window decal hutch
    IM BACK!!!!