Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off target

Post Thanks / Like

Default off target

I need a little input please. OK, so I found a place to do some long range shooting. All I do at the house is 35 yards. All my stands have about 25 yards of shooting distance. Anyway, I was shooting out there at 40 yards and my problem is getting the pin on target. I think it is target panic. It just seems hard for me to pull the pin up to the bulls eye and keep it there. I have this problem with 30 yards, but not so much at 20. Any ideas? I am getting a horrible group, 7 inches.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

yep you got target panic there are different kinds your is called freezing you should try lowering your draw weight for starters another thing you can try coming down on the target and stopping on the bull
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Another effective way is to go to a hinge style release aid
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    yep you got target panic there are different kinds your is called freezing you should try lowering your draw weight for starters another thing you can try coming down on the target and stopping on the bull
    X 2 he is right on! I take a deep breath lower my pin to the bullseye, hold and squeeze.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

One of my hunting frindes had it. He over came it by shooting quicker, get on target and squezze.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that problem for years. There are various ways to learn to control it, but let me assure you there is no CURE. The problem is between the ears. Funny thing is, since going back to a recurve a month ago I don't seem to have it. The sight is gone so no pin to put on the target. Maybe a month or so of nothing but blind baling will help (bet you wanted to hear that with hunting season coming on).
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default off target

What you have is a said lesser form of target panic, but in reality you have gone into areas not familiar. Unfamiliar and one tends to tense. Shooting at longer distances should be the same as shooting up close. Learn to relax. Yep, shoot the same whether up close or far out. The only thing different is the arrow travels farther.

Granted, one should use a target of adquate size to get use to shooting far out. Confidence builder.

Aim procedure is that of the shooter. Hold dead on or make a figure 8 of the pin and the wanted point of impact.

If over bowed you have the problem two fold. You should be able to hold the pin on target and draw straight back. If over bowed, lower draw weight 5 pounds until able. Over bowed can be from being tense. Learn to relax. This told to me by factory reps; "You would be surprised at the number archers who couldn't draw when the excitement of a monster buck presented itself." The excitement causes one to be too tense. Same difference when it's cold. Muscles constrict when cold and makes drawing difficult.

If not overbowed, hold dead on target and draw or hold slightly above the target and come to full draw.
    It is far easier to come down than go up. Hint; Draw to the wall, but don't force the wall. Draw, get on target and then draw into the wall. That slight bit of drawing into the wall stabilizes for a brief period. Noted well is most good archers have their shot off in approx. 7 seconds after being on target. Less than 7 seconds, a iffy shot, a rushed shot. Longer than 7 seconds, maybe good or slightly off. Over 10 seconds, a shot not wanted or worse.
    For those very well target inclined the seconds can mount up, but they have their methods, like not drawing hard until the wanted sight picture is to their "well defined."
    Randy Ulmer once penned the 7 seconds. "People begin to lose concentration after 7 seconds." Okay, aiming hard and holding at full draw does take from one.

Irks me more than anything is watching the really good archers on the line. Looks like they are about to fall asleep! They are that relaxed. Steve Boylan commenting on Randy Ulmer; "You can't tell by watching Randy if he shot a good shot or a bad shot. Just no reaction at all." Steve was a NFAA Senior Triple Crown Champion and still a contender at any NFAA spot event. Of note; Steve once told me he lets his pin/dot fall in the lowest part of the bull's eye. Any many people do have problems with centering the pin in a circle.

Not to forget, form, proper placement of hand to riser grip and follow through is parmount.

Rattled off enough.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    What you have is a said lesser form of target panic, but in reality you have gone into areas not familiar. Unfamiliar and one tends to tense. Shooting at longer distances should be the same as shooting up close. Learn to relax. Yep, shoot the same whether up close or far out. The only thing different is the arrow travels farther.

Granted, one should use a target of adquate size to get use to shooting far out. Confidence builder.

Aim procedure is that of the shooter. Hold dead on or make a figure 8 of the pin and the wanted point of impact.

If over bowed you have the problem two fold. You should be able to hold the pin on target and draw straight back. If over bowed, lower draw weight 5 pounds until able. Over bowed can be from being tense. Learn to relax. This told to me by factory reps; "You would be surprised at the number archers who couldn't draw when the excitement of a monster buck presented itself." The excitement causes one to be too tense. Same difference when it's cold. Muscles constrict when cold and makes drawing difficult.

If not overbowed, hold dead on target and draw or hold slightly above the target and come to full draw.
    It is far easier to come down than go up. Hint; Draw to the wall, but don't force the wall. Draw, get on target and then draw into the wall. That slight bit of drawing into the wall stabilizes for a brief period. Noted well is most good archers have their shot off in approx. 7 seconds after being on target. Less than 7 seconds, a iffy shot, a rushed shot. Longer than 7 seconds, maybe good or slightly off. Over 10 seconds, a shot not wanted or worse.
    For those very well target inclined the seconds can mount up, but they have their methods, like not drawing hard until the wanted sight picture is to their "well defined."
    Randy Ulmer once penned the 7 seconds. "People begin to lose concentration after 7 seconds." Okay, aiming hard and holding at full draw does take from one.

Irks me more than anything is watching the really good archers on the line. Looks like they are about to fall asleep! They are that relaxed. Steve Boylan commenting on Randy Ulmer; "You can't tell by watching Randy if he shot a good shot or a bad shot. Just no reaction at all." Steve was a NFAA Senior Triple Crown Champion and still a contender at any NFAA spot event. Of note; Steve once told me he lets his pin/dot fall in the lowest part of the bull's eye. Any many people do have problems with centering the pin in a circle.

Not to forget, form, proper placement of hand to riser grip and follow through is parmount.

Rattled off enough.....
    Very well said. Especially the first couple lines. Shooting at 100 yds is no different than shooting at 10 yds. Same form, same shot sequence.
    At longer distance your pin will seem to move more, it's really moving the same as it always does, so you try to force it to stop and hold steady.
    Dont force it or hold longer than you normally do. Just run thru your normal shot sequence and it will all fall into place.
    As said, shooting from long distance is intimidating and frustrating at first. Dont let it be. Just shoot and have fun. Yes your groups may be huge compared
    to what you shoot at your normal range but - so what. Keep your form good and keep practicing and the far groups will start tightening up.
    Stage fright (I hate that 'TP' phrase) gets us all at times. It's like a bad cold. But with a bit of self help it gets cured and goes away.
    Just changing up one small thing will sometimes put you right back on track. Blind Baling is a good thing. Shoot a different release for a couple sessions.
    Shoot your other bow for a few days. Shoot kneeling a few days. Etc.
    Another thing I do when I practice farther ranges is I shoot them first, when I'm fresh, and work up closer.
    If I start at 20 and work back, by the time I get out there at 60 and 70, my muscles are getting fatigued and I dont do nearly as well.

Post Thanks / Like

my target panic comes, just donno y it come.
    i tried hinge release, half way give up, and my elbow hurt due to the suprise release, i try thumb release, still cant hold on the target well...

i STOP shooting for 3 months. forget everything. i pick up the bow, suprisingly the target panic is gone. back to normal as i usually shoot.

and im back to this forum......
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I was shooting in the yard at 37 yards. Did the quick on target and release, not over thinking, just relaxing. It was better, 4-5 inch groups. I am convinced it is a mental thing. I had a wild arrow end up in the neighbors yard a month ago. I was less then happy with my neighbors drunken screaming and cussing. I relocated my target and built a huge 8'x8' back stop with double 1/2'' plywood and foam 3/4'' in between. But ever since then it is hard to tune the whole thing out. Any way, I hope to get back out to my friends round bales soon. None of my hunting shots are over 30 yards, but, it would be cool to say I can hit a paper plate at 60 yards. I am not going to do it over night, just a goal. Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Y'all are the best.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)