Thread: Nascar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nascar

Wouldn't it be cool if Martin sponsored a Truck or a Nationwide Series race car? That would get the brand back into the mind's eye of probably the most important demographic: Da Merican Redneck! Race fans are the most brand loyal fans in the world. I shop at Lowe's because Jimmy Johnson drives on the same team as Junior. I guess because I live in "Race City, USA", this is in the blood.

Think about it, I bet there are more hunters at a NASCAR race then any gathering of males in the world. If Martin were smart, they would at least put a hauler together and demonstrate and sell Martins at every race in the country. Instant brand recognition. Mark Martin could be their driver.

I think I am going off the deep end.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

2. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You sure are. Oneof the things that slowed down the sale of the company was 1.6 million in debt. Even minor sponsors for cup cars is around 3-5 million. Full sponsorship runs about 18 million.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Martin doesn't need to sponsor a full car, way too much money. One thing that always kept Martin a very affordable bow was their lack of huge advertising budgets. Good reliable bows with top notch quality and leading edge technology is what they DO NEED. If you really look back at it what most people think of when they hear Mathews is they think that bow company invented the single cam, but they did not. Martin actually had it first. I think Martin actually had the first split limb bows also. There actually are a lot of patents that Martin owned that they either allowed or sold rights to for other companies to use. Gail Martin was all about helping the Archery Industry, not just how much he could make off the industry.

There are a few people that come along in certain industries that really help out their particular industry but always seem to take a back seat to others, just like John Moses Browning. I bet the two of them are standing side by side now looking down and watching what happens to their industries, hopefully not shaking their heads.

Mike G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You sure are. Oneof the things that slowed down the sale of the company was 1.6 million in debt. Even minor sponsors for cup cars is around 3-5 million. Full sponsorship runs about 18 million.
    Thats why I said the truck series. But still, that is pretty high too I bet. Your right though, too much money, Sometimes my fingers are not attached to my brain.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

The compound bow in any of the cam configuration today go back to Allen. I think Graham or Graham Archery is noted as the first to manufacture and sell a single cam bow.
    Martin followed Allen with the KamAct and the dropped the bow because of legalities - a few companies were smart and nestled away X dollars per bow with Allen's pursuit of legal means. Allen never saw the vast sum of money awarded him. He died in a car wreck before judgement was released. His family continued to recieve the money for years that came with that settled suit.
    Mathews is credited with bringing forth the single cam to it's greatest heights. In 2003 Hoyt brough forth the cam&1/2 and the rest is history.
    The next great stride came with the dual cams and that greatest is given to Darton. Many, including Hoyt with it's cam&1/2 pay royalties to Darton.

The first patent for a split-limb compound bow (Caldwell U.S. Pat. No. 4,350,138) was issued to Joseph M. Caldwell in 1980 and disclosed a forked bow limb that was split axially for a substantial portion of the length of the limb

Other archery companies also granted "free" use of archery technology. Noted highly is also Bear and PSE. PSE holds many patients of both their own. Pete is no dummy. Seems all are following his past parallel limb design. And like me, aged a bit, have saw the standard limb configuration change to parallel limb configuration that the vast majority of bow companies have today.

Great companies rise and fall and some have rode out the storm. Pearson, oldest bow company in the United States, was once the largest bow comany in the world and largest producer of arrows. 1980? Then Governor Bill Clinton was presented Pearson's 6 millionth bow and 200 millionth arrow. Pearson at that time had 350 employees and had a payroll of 10s of millions of dollars.
    Pearson, smaller, is headed for it's 85th birthday. Hoyt following closely with it's 83rd birthday. These companies didn't survive on their laurels....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sonny, I never researched it. I probably should some day take some time and read up on the archery industry as a whole and find out who brought what to the industry.