Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect(s) or String Suppressor Removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Effect(s) or String Suppressor Removal?

I was at a shop recently to have my Pantera adjusted. In discussion with the tech, he indicated that he never shoots target or 3D with the string suppressor installed. He feels that the bow is more forgiving and the arrow flies straighter with tighter groups.

What have others experienced without the string suppressor installed? Thanks.
    2012 Martin Pantera, Spot Hogg-Hogg Father Single Pin and HoggIT 5 Pins

Post Thanks / Like

I won't shoot a bow with out one any more, having the string stop adjusted right makes a big difference not tight up against the string just my two cents
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Suppressor Removal

TenRing,

Thanks for the response. Could you clarify your reference to "makes a big difference"? What specifically is different for you? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have notice it paper tuning my bows that if the string makes contacted to early I would get a bad tear in the paper
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

So I have two bows, one with a string stop/suppressor (the Onza) and one without (the Saber). Both shoot phenominally well.

I decided one day to try the Onza without the extra weight of the string stop. All I can say is WOW. LOUD, Vibration City! After the shot it hummed like a guitar string. I have since contemplated putting one on the Saber, but I rarely shoot it anymore.

I will also say, as a note, that as Ten Ring stated, if the stop isn't set correctly, you will not only not paper tune, or have a hard time paper tuning, but your point of impact will change as well.

Just my $0.02.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

You dont want the string at rest to contact the stop. something like 2/16'' . I changed the factory one out for a Bow Jax model for about $5 even more quieter.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have noticed about the string stops. They tend to give a more consistent arrow release in my opinion. If you have a slightly tighter nock on a few arrows, they'll hang onto the string longer than your other arrows. Having a string stop gives a definite point of release, rather then letting the arrow "hang onto" the string for a longer period of time. As others have mentioned, the vibration cancelling properties are rather apparent too. All of my bows have a string stop, and I wouldn't shoot without them.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Sonny Thomas

Default Effect(s) or String Suppressor Removal?

Removing the STS is something some Pros are doing...but then they usually have longer ata bows.

My Shadowcat had the flat rubber stop and ever so often it pop off and twice it flew in my face. My MarXman has the "toothed" type rubber stop (string sets the middle of) and never a issue so far. Another Pearson shooter (on Facebook) has a good gap between his string and rubber stop.
    And then I never had or used a STS on any bow I owned up until the Shadowcats.... Never saw one bit of difference in accuracy of my bows.

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Suppressor Removal

Interesting that some of the pros do not use them. Based on the responses, it does not appear that it affects the bow negatively. As long as I will not damage the bow, I guess I can experiment a bit by shooting without the STS and see what happens. Thanks for the info from everyone...it is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen the pros shooting with them. I took mine off, you don't need it. Your target isn't going to hear your string and run off during a FITA round lol.