Thread: Paper tuning

Hybrid View

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paper tuning

Is it abnormal for a bow not to paper tune at 9 feet. Most of the paper tuning I have done and seen is done at 9 to 10 feet. Mine absolutely won't! At 12 to 15 feet it is perfect. At 20 yards it hits dead on and I mean dead on.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

did you try a bare shaft at 9 ft just to rule any issuse, and yes I have most of the time it was nock related meaning the nock was to tight and the serving
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    did you try a bare shaft at 9 ft just to rule any issuse, and yes I have most of the time it was nock related meaning the nock was to tight and the serving
    Sounds good!!

Hutch

Sonny Thomas

Default Paper tuning

With today's bow, it is abnormal not to be able to paper tune at 9 feet. I perfer 6 to 8 feet to start. Using a bare shaft can point to the problem. Bare shaft comes out of the bow cleanly, then a ragged hole with the fletched arrow tells of contact somewhere. Bare shaft won't tune, then rest issues or bow issues or both.

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, what do you men the bow is dead on at 20 yards? Do you mean fletched arrows or a bare shaft? I would say fletched arrows sighted in for 20 yards will be dead on at 20 yards whether the bow is tuned or not.

I have always liked bare shaft tuning---old style. I kneel in front of a target butt at about 6" and fire a bare shaft at shoulder height (level) and see what it's doing. Most times it's close enough I can move back to 10 yards and try again, adjusting the rest, nocking point or whatever combination it takes to get it straight in the vertical plane. Once I get the vertical I then work on the horizontal, adjusting point weight, centershot, or draw weight to get it going into the target straight. Then I keep moving back, making smaller adjustments till it's flying like a lazer out to 20 yards. Then I start comparing POI with fletched arrows. Normally they hit the same POI.

If I get real froggy I keep moving back and adjust so that bare shaft, fletched arrow, and broadhead all hit within a 3" bullseye out to 35 yards.

You can shorten the process slightly by bare shafting through paper. Keep moving back from the paper and keep trying to punch bullet holes as you back up. Of course, your form, especially grip, better be spot on.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Paper tuning

Barry's tellin' straight. It can be done. Target shooter me doesn't go to such extremes, but have seen the need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Hutch, what do you men the bow is dead on at 20 yards? Do you mean fletched arrows or a bare shaft? I would say fletched arrows sighted in for 20 yards will be dead on at 20 yards whether the bow is tuned or not.

I have always liked bare shaft tuning---old style. I kneel in front of a target butt at about 6" and fire a bare shaft at shoulder height (level) and see what it's doing. Most times it's close enough I can move back to 10 yards and try again, adjusting the rest, nocking point or whatever combination it takes to get it straight in the vertical plane. Once I get the vertical I then work on the horizontal, adjusting point weight, centershot, or draw weight to get it going into the target straight. Then I keep moving back, making smaller adjustments till it's flying like a lazer out to 20 yards. Then I start comparing POI with fletched arrows. Normally they hit the same POI.

If I get real froggy I keep moving back and adjust so that bare shaft, fletched arrow, and broadhead all hit within a 3" bullseye out to 35 yards.

You can shorten the process slightly by bare shafting through paper. Keep moving back from the paper and keep trying to punch bullet holes as you back up. Of course, your form, especially grip, better be spot on.
    I will give it a shot Barry!!!

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch check out my post about putting (stuff) into your strings.