Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from some of you that really know martin.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help from some of you that really know martin.......

Good Morning Guys,
    All of this talk about the changes taking place at Martin has me thinking about a recent repair on one of my own Martin bows....a 2010 Martin Warthog. Shortly after purchasing this bow, one of the limbs "let go", and replacements were sent to the local Authorized Dealerships for repair. The problem is this, though.....my old limbs were designated 4H and were 1 9/16" wide near the pivot point. The replacement limbs were designated 5L and measured 1 1/2 near the pivot point. I've gotten conflicting information from Martin concerning the specs on these limbs, but am hoping that some/one of you can sort this out for me. Would anyone know the poundage on these limbs, or even how they compare on the Warthog? The first limbs that came on the bow were supposed to have been 70 lb. limbs.....the replacement limbs, depending on who you listen to, are supposed to be either 72 lb. limbs or 65 lb. limbs. I know, I know.....it's only 7 lbs., but if even if the factory doesn't know what they are, I could have either 80 lb. limbs or 45 lb. limbs.......confusion is never a good thing.
    As always, my sincere "thank you" for any and all help.....I owe some of you a lunch....and if our paths ever cross, consider it a deal. (Berry/Sonny....maybe this is one that you are familiar with?)

Post Thanks / Like

The difference is probably that the original limbs were the 5 layer (whatever they called them) and the new ones are the Powertuf. The dimensions are a hair different but the actual deflection is the same.
    That bow uses the earlier style limb pockets with the 2 ball bearings to align them to the riser and that remains the same on both limbs so the outside width doesnt matter.
    On the same limbs the difference between a 4H and 5L is only going to be about 2.5-3 lbs.
    I would say that with yours the max DW will be the same.
    I would set the strings and bow right on the factory specs and put it on a scale.
    I'd be willing to bet that the draw weight is going to be right on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Spiker on this one. The difference between the limbs being about 2.5#. Therefore, the 5L might even give more draw weight than your original limbs. If so then you can back them off about 1 turn. Also, as he says, put the bow together and see what you get.

I'm not going to doubt your tape measure but so far as I know Martin never made limbs 1 9/16" wide. The older style limbs, prior to 2010 were 1 7/8" wide. In 2010 they started making the Roto Cups 1 1/2" wide (inside) and limbs to match. Yours being a 2010 should have limbs 1 1/2" wide. Compare this to the charts for 2009 and 70# needs 3H limbs. I would have to deduce that the newer limbs, being narrower, would have to be thicker to achieve the same 70#, thus a different deflection number. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just a deduction on my part.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Does your bow use the RotoCups that have the pins to align the limbs or the outside lips that the limbs sit between?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Spiker,
    My bow has what Martin calls the Roto Limb Cups.....the limb is held in place by the two sides of the cup. I believe that my older Bengal uses the pins that you described. Thanks......

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the bow? http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/warthog.php
    Here is a specs. link....http://www.martinarchery.com/2013/past_specs.php
    If it is like the one in the pics. looks to have Barnsdale limbs.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default warthog limbs

Quote Originally Posted by baerman View Post
    Good Morning Guys,
    All of this talk about the changes taking place at Martin has me thinking about a recent repair on one of my own Martin bows....a 2010 Martin Warthog. Shortly after purchasing this bow, one of the limbs "let go", and replacements were sent to the local Authorized Dealerships for repair. The problem is this, though.....my old limbs were designated 4H and were 1 9/16" wide near the pivot point. The replacement limbs were designated 5L and measured 1 1/2 near the pivot point. I've gotten conflicting information from Martin concerning the specs on these limbs, but am hoping that some/one of you can sort this out for me. Would anyone know the poundage on these limbs, or even how they compare on the Warthog? The first limbs that came on the bow were supposed to have been 70 lb. limbs.....the replacement limbs, depending on who you listen to, are supposed to be either 72 lb. limbs or 65 lb. limbs. I know, I know.....it's only 7 lbs., but if even if the factory doesn't know what they are, I could have either 80 lb. limbs or 45 lb. limbs.......confusion is never a good thing.
    As always, my sincere "thank you" for any and all help.....I owe some of you a lunch....and if our paths ever cross, consider it a deal. (Berry/Sonny....maybe this is one that you are familiar with?)
    I'm pretty sure what you have is a 2009 warthog not a 2010. The Roto cup was changed between the 2009 and 2010 warthog and the limbs were narrowed. if you can post a picture we can tell you for sure. I know there have and some problems with the website and if you can't post a picture on here, send it to my e-mail address prairiearchery@Gmail.com

I'm sure we can get this figured out
    Owner of Prairie archery
    Grangeville, Idaho

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys,
    I believe that Middleman and Spiker may have a good point.....the original limbs, if I remember correctly (and that's a doubtful thing) did have pins in the pivot that set into the limbs. The replacements had a containment system that included raised ears on either side to hold the limb in place. I'm not sure what all of this means as it relates to 4H and 5L......guess this is more Art than Science. I really do appreciate the help that you're all giving.....it's very kind of you all. And, I can see that a direct answer is probably going to be hard to get in this case.....it would appear that the factory doesn't even have a direct answer to give. I guess the good news is that the replacement limbs do appear to fit the riser perfectly....I've heard of instances where the replacement limbs had curved ends that we're fitted into square limb pockets.....now that would be an ugly fix. Take good care, all.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar incident on my 2012 Silencer Pro recently after my lower limb shattered (was marked 5L). i was sent new limbs marked 4. i asked the dealer about it and he didn't have a clue (see my post for more details on that) what the difference was. i was wondering if perhaps it had to do with which cam system was on the bow (maybe the nitro cams needed the 5 limbs and the fury only needed the 4?). of course they were the wrong color camo which he didn't notice and martin sent out new ones again on Monday. should be here by the end of the week. i'm gonna have the come-a-parts if they charge me to reinstall them after they jacked it up the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey firefighter 42,
    Thanks for the input. I hope that you get the right camo on those new cams. On my bow, the cams stayed the CAT 2 cams that were on it originally, so the question about the change in the numeric designation remain. No-one seems to know exactly what it means or why.......man, it makes your head want to explode. There's got to be more organization to this limb change proceedure and the numeric designation than that.......Oh well. Another one of those "take it or leave it" situations. Take good care, brother.