Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bows

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bows

I've been watching the roll outs of the new bows, checking on the "other" brands... and feeling pretty disappointed that Martin may not have a lineup let alone a new lineup. Although the change of ownership may have slowed things down, it looks like we will still have a 2014 catalog I can't wait to see it although I realize that with the recent changes there may not be much new added to it.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

2. Likes Hutch~n~Son Archery, AnthonyG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching the other companies also. Nothing new that gets me excited. I am excited about the new 2014 Martin catalog. After all the bad news earlier this year this new ownership has been exciting. Even one or two new models will be a positive and get things off on the right foot. Cant wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just sit back and wait to see what transpires. I wasn't all that excited with the 2013 lineup. That's why I ordered a Diablo TD.

I also think this whole idea of introducing the new year lineup is getting out of hand. It used to be that companies gave us some teasers, but didn't come out with the next year bows till the ATA show. Now everybody expects them to be in production long before the present year is coming to a close. I'd rather be kept in suspense for a while.

Hopefully the new owners will have some savvy execs who hire good engineers that pay attention to details and possibly have read some of the posts on AT as to what the customers to want.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

5. Likes peace liked this post
    Sonny Thomas

Default New Bows

If you have a "hole" in your lineup, yeah, fix the "hole." Otherwise, the new line up should be only the imperfection or little "want" added to the existing bow. For one, no changes to or addtional bows should lower production cost. Bow present, you focus on said bow, refine it, not "junk it" and bring it back in another form. Another form is a different bow and should be called different. Not knocking Martin alone as other companies have done the same thing. You can ask Barry. The Pearson Spoiler of long ago is not the Spoiler of recent times. And then Hoyt broke a lot of hearts when the changed/eliminated the UltraTec. It's not gone, but changed so that it is. The Seven37 was said the revamped UltraTec. Well, with no more than a bit of handling people, like me, put the "clunker" back on the rack. It is no more. Others said the Contender was the UltraTec. Well, who wants a "contender" when the UltraTec was the Champ, said to be the all time greatest bow Hoyt ever made. And yes, maybe I'm living in the past, but why drop a great bow, copy it and give it another name?

7. Likes peace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait either guys, I hope to see some new products, I like the rytera series Alien, Nemesis ect. well I liked all the Martin bows. I hope to see some old technology get reused or updated. After all the mishap this year I thought I had to switch companies. Only company that has my attention other than Martin is Elite and BowTech. I guess this will be along wait until January.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be honest as to why I'm so patient. I couldn't even tell you how many bows I've had over the last 40 years. I do remember which ones were my favorites and shot the best for me and they are all ancient by today's standards. And they were all longer A2A bows with the shortest being 36". There's no doubt that much of my success and, therefore, opinion is based on how much my shooting has eroded as I got older. I still shoot pretty darn good for my age, but as I've lost muscle, eyesight, and desire to pound the X I'm also realistic enough to understand that no manufacturer can make a bow that is going to make me a top contender they way I was prior to 1980.

There has also been a disheartening trend for new designs to get short, shorter, and shortest and cams getting big, bigger, and biggest to accommodate average to longer than average draw lengths with shorter draw lengths just an after thought. I shoot just about 26 3/4" and it seems most bows today start at 27" and go up so my choices get limited to some short A2A bow that I abhor, especially since I don't hunt any more. Even when I did hunt I never saw a need for a bow less than 34". The best shooting bows I've had over the last 20 years have all been right at 37" to 38" and these are getting to be rare in a draw length to fit me--let it be known that I will never compromise draw length for any reason. It's the most important factor when choosing a compound bow.

OK, it's time to stop. I'm getting carried away.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

10. Likes webbnate_45, peace, WildWilt15 liked this post
    Sonny Thomas

Like Barry, I've always used long ata bows for everything. My shortest up until this hunting season was my Hoyt MagnaTec, almost 38" ata. This year I used my "play toy," my Pearson TX4, 33 1/2" ata. It got the job done, but my old MagnaTec would have to....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'm going to be honest as to why I'm so patient. I couldn't even tell you how many bows I've had over the last 40 years. I do remember which ones were my favorites and shot the best for me and they are all ancient by today's standards. And they were all longer A2A bows with the shortest being 36". There's no doubt that much of my success and, therefore, opinion is based on how much my shooting has eroded as I got older. I still shoot pretty darn good for my age, but as I've lost muscle, eyesight, and desire to pound the X I'm also realistic enough to understand that no manufacturer can make a bow that is going to make me a top contender they way I was prior to 1980.

There has also been a disheartening trend for new designs to get short, shorter, and shortest and cams getting big, bigger, and biggest to accommodate average to longer than average draw lengths with shorter draw lengths just an after thought. I shoot just about 26 3/4" and it seems most bows today start at 27" and go up so my choices get limited to some short A2A bow that I abhor, especially since I don't hunt any more. Even when I did hunt I never saw a need for a bow less than 34". The best shooting bows I've had over the last 20 years have all been right at 37" to 38" and these are getting to be rare in a draw length to fit me--let it be known that I will never compromise draw length for any reason. It's the most important factor when choosing a compound bow.

OK, it's time to stop. I'm getting carried away.
    I was taught to respect my elders so its always good to here wisdom speaking. As not being a young myself anymore but I still can hunt, pull back 29" and 70 plus pound bows. I know one day I will not be as I am today. I do like both short and long bows, the longest bow I own is a 34" a2a, its a 2006 Bear code, the shortest is my Alien X. But I have not shot a bow > 35 a2a, but I want too just to check it out. I want to see where technology is going with bows but I do love traditional bows. Again its always good to hear experience talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alienshooter View Post
    I was taught to respect my elders so its always good to here wisdom speaking. As not being a young myself anymore but I still can hunt, pull back 29" and 70 plus pound bows. I know one day I will not be as I am today. I do like both short and long bows, the longest bow I own is a 34" a2a, its a 2006 Bear code, the shortest is my Alien X. But I have not shot a bow > 35 a2a, but I want too just to check it out. I want to see where technology is going with bows but I do love traditional bows. Again its always good to hear experience talk.
    Your kind words are appreciated. I do usually write a lot of stuff, opinions if you will, based on my experience (Mine). It's not to dictate to people but just to give people information so they can see a different perspective. I've hunted and shot competitively over almost 40 years. During that time I have had short bows (2008 Martin FireCat) and longer bows (50") from the 70's so I've pretty much found out what shoots the best for me.

I started out as a bowhunter and evolved into a target/field shooter that bowhunted. My primary use for a bow is shooting, mostly target and 3D, and this is where longer bows shine. An avid hunter I realize that out of the roughly 8000 to 10,000 shots a year only about a half dozen or so are for hunting. I don't have any use for pounding broadheads. I check 'em, tune 'em, and get maybe a couple shots a year with them. I've used the same broadheads for the last 10 years. There's nothing new that does any different than what I have.

On the other hand I have shot competitively in both field/target and 3D shoots where accuracy is more important than portability. For me, and the vast majority of serious 3D shooters, it seems that almost all are shooting longer bows with maybe 36" being almost a minimum. The main reason being that they draw smoother and hold and aim better and are more stable at the shot. Not that short can't be accurate, but it's easier with a longer bow, especially at longer distances. Less mental strain, too, trying to control them. To this end, as a staff shooter for the last 20 years
    (4 companies) all my best shooting bows have been 37" to 38" long. It's just what I've learned and what I've learned to accept.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I see a target bow in the future for me, I'll wait until the 2014 Martin line up comes out before I make a decision. There are many different companies to choose from but I'll wait to see what Martin has what offer. There are many 3D shoots in my area I think I'll check them out, to satisfy my curiosity. Again thanks for the words Bfisher!

15. Likes peace liked this post