Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is everyones hunting season going

Post Thanks / Like

Have only seen 2 does so far this season, but have seen a good number of bucks. Most are small guys, but 3 are pretty decent. Just waiting for one of them to walk in the wrong spot at the right time. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

2. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hunted close to home this season, only got one shot off. For any of you that have hunted the forests (jungles lol) of western Washington or Oregon, you'll know what I'm talking about. After 15-20 minutes of stalking a doe and making sure she didn't have fawns, I lost sight of her. I walked up to where I had seen her last and she popped back out to the side and behind me, curious as all get out. I didn't have time to range, and took the shot on a guesstimate, full broadside. She was closer than I thought, by 12 yards and the shot was high, right behind the shoulder under the spine. I waited 30 minutes, (probably should have waited longer) and went to find the blood trail. The arrow was right behind where she stood all bloody, but no blood trail. Took me 45 minutes or so pick up her trail, all hip high ferns, shoulder high huckleberry bushes and buck brush. Finally got a good trail and the skies opened up and poured down on me. After I lost the blood trail, I hiked back to the truck and went to get help. A buddy of mine came back with me and we scoured the forest for her, to no avail. All said, I shot her at about 10 am, and I got home about 8 pm soaken wet and disheartened. I didn't get close enough to another deer for a shot the rest of the season. Late season is coming up in a few weeks, I'll see what I can stir up then....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

nice job
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I had a mixed bag of results for my elk and bear hunt. I got an OTC with caps bear tag for GMU 43 in Colorado along with an OTC either sex elk tag. Weather didn't play nicely during the 4-5 days I was there; rained hard several days and nights along with lots of lightning making it not a good idea to be out in the woods. I also didn't see ANY animals and none in other hunter's camps either. After that I called a buddy in Pagosa Springs to see how his hunt was going. He was seeing a few, mostly spikes and one 5x5, and welcomed me to come hunt with him, so I did.

First day out I called in a rag-horn bull that wasn't quite legal and actually called him in twice within a 10 minute period. First time he came in to 30 yards, totally quiet, and I wasn't quite ready and didn't have my bow in hand or an arrow nocked. Since he wasn't legal I decided to see how much movement I could get away with. Even though he had a clear visual shot to me I made slow enough moves to get my bow up and arrow nocked and drawn and had my sight pin on him just as he was turning to leave (after 2-3 minutes of trying to figure out where the cows were from my calling). If he had been legal I would have easily slipped an arrow into him quartering away. I started calling again and he came back in to a slightly different vantage point but still about 30 yards distant. BTW, I firmly believe one of the reasons I was able to get away with as much movement as I did was due to my ASAT 3D leafy suit. That bull stared at me directly several times and never really appeared to discern what I was and that I posed any sort of threat. He just got antsy because he couldn't see any cows that he expected to be there.

A few days later my buddy and I were in another area and spotted a very nice cinnamon color phase black bear that we were able to sneak up to within 46 yards and watch as he fed. We tried to get photos and my camera decided it needed more light so my flash went off. He was caught completely by surprise and stared up at us like a kid who had gotten caught with his hand in the coolie jar. After he collected his wits and finally made us he ran across the clearing and stopped about 100 yards away to look back to see if we were giving chase or not. Had either of us had a bear tag for that game unit one of us would likely have gotten an arrow into him. Even so, it was great fun to watch him and knowing he had no clue we were there (the wind was absolutely perfect at the time).

Even though I came home empty handed it was a fun end to the hunt with good memories. I just wish I had more time I could take off work to try getting a late season deer tag, but alas, that's not happening this year. Here's hoping everyone has a good hunt.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

6. Likes Mike G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a great season! I had finally drawn my bear tag here in Wisconsin for the southern zone. It took me 2 sits to fill my tag. Then a week later the Archery Deer season opened and I took my buck on the fourth day. Since then I've only been out about a half dozen times hunting for a doe, but haven't had one close and have been seeing mostly small bucks. I hunt public land and am not a big horn hunter, don't get me wrong, if I can find a big buck before the season, I'll go after him. My buck this year is a fork horn, but the first deer with my new Martin Cougar FC and my bear weighed about 200lbs.010.jpgbearcollage1.jpg

8. Likes Chip, TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats mike nice shooting
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Sonny Thomas

Congrats on both!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My season has been full of luck and not the good kind. I'm 0-2 (2misses)both user error even though I wish I could blame the equipment.. lol
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

I have had seasons like that!!!! Step back, do some good target shooting, gain back your shooting confidence and finish the job! Good luck Wilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Mike G. I take it you were ground hunting when you took your bear, based on the photo, and pretty close too. I bet that was exciting. He'll make a nice rug and the meat should be quite good too. Several years back I had bear that had been slow cooked and was very impressed by its flavor, texture and tenderness. I've also read and heard mtn lion meat is quite tasty.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)