Thread: Quieting a traditional bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quieting a traditional bow?

I've seen a few different videos on how to quiet your trad bow with felt at the tips of your limbs under the string or using dampers...also using the "puffs" on the string itself...just wanted to ask if anyone has tried these methods or has any other methods for silencing your bows.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried the felt between the string and limb. Playing with brace height might be of some help. I do use Puffs on my string, but don't hunt. I did use puff on my compound bows when I hunted and they do a masterful job of getting rid of noise. The down side is that when it rains they hold a lot of water which slows down the bow immensely, plus you feel like you're getting a shower when you shot. If you're going to hunt then there is little better than a cheap pair of Cat Whiskers.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever heard of using dampers on a recurve?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're asking about Limb Savers the answer is NO, but I don't see why they wouldn't work to some advantage. Just don't know where I'd put them; probably in the middle, closer to the riser. You sure don't want them close to the limb tips.

Just to mention more about using Cat Whiskers, there is somewhat of a trick to them or any string silencer. Generally the farther away from the limb tips the more effective they are at reducing string oscillation, but also the farther away from the limb tips the more it slows the bow down so you have to play around with this to determine at what point they do a good job without robbing the bow of speed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Something between the limb and string seems to help with the noise, the string slaps the limbs on the release and padding there works. I've had good luck with calf hair ones that are sold by 3 Rivers. Others like using the soft side from Velcro, it already comes with adhesive backing, just need to cut to shape.

Wool puffs are a good idea to silence the string. I make my own using qiviut(musk ox) wool warn, its quiet, very light and repels water, but it's pretty expensive; bought a small ball of it I found on the net for the cost of 2 sets of premade ones and have enough to make lots of them. You can use any wool yarn, though, pretty easy to make them.

One other thing that really quieted the bow was getting some custom low-stretch strings(also called Fast Flight). First sets I had made from D-97, switched to 8190 for the last ones as it doesn't stretch and is very durable.

Have heard some people like using Limbsavers, but they aren't for me, don't think they look good on a recurve.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I picked up some felt to try under the strings and some cheap "spider legs" for a string silencer...I've never messed with these before but I'm guessing from the instructions you just group a few strands together and tie them off with another strand and they will hold?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually try to get the same number of strands on each side of the scilencer. They should stay in place if you are a little careful when you take the string off to keep it twisted.