Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martins new logo!

Post Thanks / Like

The logos different for sure I don't like it or hate it but I do like the old one better. As for the company going forward, hopefully they downsize the current lineup and focus on quality machining and durability of the bows, and try not to hurry up and get that "WOW" factor this year, save it for next year when you have more testing and design time under the belt. I want to see Martin measure twice cut once this year.
    Last edited by WildWilt15; 11-10-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spell error
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    The logos different for sure I don't like it or hate it but I do like the old one better. As for the company going forward, hopefully they downsize the current lineup and focus on quality machining and durability of the bows, and try not to hurry up and get that "WOW" factor this year, save it for next year when you have more testing and design time under the belt. I want to see Martin measure twice cut once this year.
    I do have to agree with one thing. They need to concentrate their efforts on designing fewer bows and vary the A2A of the ones they do design. No reason to have 5 or 6 bows that all measure within 2" of each other. And pay attention to details with the machining--clean up any sharp edges..
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

3. Likes Rangerj, TEN RING liked this post
    Sonny Thomas

Yes, Barry, I agree. If reason exists for a couple then perhaps because the single cam bow will not die. People still want them. Another would be have a single and/or double cam with cable stops instead of positive stops. That bit of a cushion to pull into seems most desired with those using hinge releases. One only has to look at the top of national events, Mathews, Hoyt and PSE and all having the softer cable stops.
    Not saying all has come overnight, but the number of close to ata short bows could go a way quicker and easier.

Bows to keep; The Scepter V, only true target bow Martin has. Not overly fond of the Firecat and Onza III, I'd opt for the Rytera Nemisis. The Bengal has been like a corner stone of the foundation, but the Cougar with single and double cam options looks the better choice. The Pantera, yes, maybe. The Exile, maybe, because of the shorter draw length.

So half gone, I think.

Will the stick/recurve bows still be made?
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 11-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to derail or side-track this thread, but why would cable stops be preferred to hard (limb) stops when using a hinge release? This year I decided to use a Whalens Hooker back tension release to help get over newly acquired target panic. I found I really liked the release and got it adjusted to my preferred release point pretty quickly and I attributed part of that to my bow's limb stops and the solid, repetitive hard wall its stop provides. It seems to me that cable stops would be somewhat like having a rifle trigger with more travel before it breaks (overcomes) the sear engagement and finally fires, rather than a nice clean, no-travel trigger that surprises you when it breaks and fires. Competition rifle triggers with little to no travel are typically preferred to ones with more travel.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Not to derail or side-track this thread, but why would cable stops be preferred to hard (limb) stops when using a hinge release? This year I decided to use a Whalens Hooker back tension release to help get over newly acquired target panic. I found I really liked the release and got it adjusted to my preferred release point pretty quickly and I attributed part of that to my bow's limb stops and the solid, repetitive hard wall its stop provides. It seems to me that cable stops would be somewhat like having a rifle trigger with more travel before it breaks (overcomes) the sear engagement and finally fires, rather than a nice clean, no-travel trigger that surprises you when it breaks and fires. Competition rifle triggers with little to no travel are typically preferred to ones with more travel.
    No pro here by any means but I believe a cable stop provides a more consistent and smooth back tension that you don't get with a solid limb stop.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

How about a compromise on the positive stop. Make it a limb stop as it has been, but maybe a softer cover over the stop itself for a little bit of give. Two covers, one hard and one soft. Frankly, if you want a little softer wall then they could incorporate that into the module itself such as the Nitrous cams had. Either way, it would give more options without raising the cost much at all.

As for some other choices? IMO opinion if the have the Nemisis then they don't need the Onza. What, only 3/4" between them?

Maybe only make about 4 basic bows with dual or single cams at the customers' option. Maybe design a few more things as they become more viable. Quit changing the name of the various bows every year like they had been doing. Sonny brought up a couple names to mind. Cougar, Bengal, Scepter; all commonly known and adored Martin bows. Improve them as needed from year to year but don't call them something else.

I might be all wet but just throwing some ideas out there.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Not to derail or side-track this thread, but why would cable stops be preferred to hard (limb) stops when using a hinge release? /////////
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    No pro here by any means but I believe a cable stop provides a more consistent and smooth back tension that you don't get with a solid limb stop.
    WildWilt is something of on track. With a hinge it one can't get rotation without motion. So with "give" you can get started moving. Not saying you can't successful use a hinge with positive stops, but for me draw length has to perfect.
    The Whalen Hooker is quite the...spike type hinge, if I said that correctly. It more works on rotation on the index finger and as of this time the Whalen Hooker is being fitted with a internal slip ring. There was a brief touch on this in AT. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown I can't post pictures or start a new Post in here and no one is responding to PMs or Emails....
    The hinge release does not rotate in the hand. The hook of the hinge is locked onto the string. As the string arm rotates the body, held firmly in the hand, rotate to all the sears to slip past and thus fire.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    How about a compromise on the positive stop. Make it a limb stop as it has been, but maybe a softer cover over the stop itself for a little bit of give. Two covers, one hard and one soft. Frankly, if you want a little softer wall then they could incorporate that into the module itself such as the Nitrous cams had. Either way, it would give more options without raising the cost much at all.

As for some other choices? IMO opinion if the have the Nemisis then they don't need the Onza. What, only 3/4" between them?

Maybe only make about 4 basic bows with dual or single cams at the customers' option. Maybe design a few more things as they become more viable. Quit changing the name of the various bows every year like they had been doing. Sonny brought up a couple names to mind. Cougar, Bengal, Scepter; all commonly known and adored Martin bows. Improve them as needed from year to year but don't call them something else.

I might be all wet but just throwing some ideas out there.
    Yes, compromise is good.

????? Normally, one sets the positive draw stop with the cable laying flat in it's module groove, 80% letoff. We then use to draw stop for less letoff and/or fine tuning draw length.
    I've never tried the following nor heard of it being done;
    Cables bend with cable stops. Martin's modules are more like cable stops only a positive draw stop is incorporated. If the draw stop were set a "hair" or so short you would have the mods engaging first to allow give. I don't believe it would be safe not to have the draw stop set and for sure bending the cables too far would not be good.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 11-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for that 30"ata,7"bh,dual/hybrid cam,330+IBO. Then I will buy a new Martin.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Now Jan and see if they have any R&D duds on board.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the new logo is growing on me, wasn't sure at first. I'm just glad to see them working on moving forward, you can see that in the new logo, the improvements here and on their FB page. Its definitely refreshing. I think they oughta offer bows ranging from 30" up in 2-3" incriments each with the option of single or dual cam. And I agree that they need to stop swapping names around, seems silly for a bow to be a Firecat one year and a Cougar the next with no change in design (for example)... I'd also like to see a focus on women's and childrens/teenagers bows. They are losing some market share to other companies on that boat I think.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps