Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bengal limbs second time around the block

Post Thanks / Like

Default bengal limbs second time around the block

I posted in early September here about my top limb cracking on my 2013 Bengal pro. Martin in true awesome Martin fashion had me back up and running in about two weeks. I've had a great whitetail season so far but am still hunting hard. last night while organizing my gear I look my bow over and notice about and inch long splinter off the top of my new limb starting to come off. While it will have to be replaced again has anyone had any experience with just a splinter and would it still be safe to shoot till season is over? I'm taking it to my pro shop tonight to find out for sure so I guess I'm just venting here. looking for anyone's input on their recent experiences with limbs. Love Martin but if its not shootable it hurts to happen right in the middle of the rut for the second time in three months.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I too had the same thing happen a few years back now. But Martin came through. Using the bow all depends on how bad it really is. I had an edge splinter and it could be used. But I didn't feel comfortable so I did not use it. But some on here have used their bows with no problem. Many bow companies go through this, its the limb companies that are trying to keep up with demand and are not doing so well. Barnsdale limbs are the only company I see that are doing it right. So the only thing I can say is hang in there let them fix it and see how you do.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hutch for the advice. I've been excited to see the changes that have been going on with Martin the last couple weeks now that the changeover is finalized. I hope that the limb issues are a top priority. One thing about Martin is they will be on the ball getting it fixed. Hopefully I can use it while we are waiting on new limbs.

Sonny Thomas

Splinter; small, slender, can be long, usually a sliver of the corner of the limb. More than likely it is very usable.

I have a 2000 model Hoyt that has untold thousands of shots through it and has 4 corners of the quad limbs splintered off. No issues, fast and as accurate as ever.

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my onza I put it in my vise and it slipped, taking a splinter off one of the limbs. I hadn't even shot it yet I was so pissed. I took it down to my local shop and they looked it over and said it was fine to shoot. I put a couple thousand shots through it and it was fine. So I guess it depends on how big the splinter is and where its located...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! had that issue on my Fire Cat 400 twice, I did use my with the spliter to finish a hunt but would only draw back if I had a shot. Had Martin replace the limbs but purchased a set of limbs from Barnsdale also. No issue with the barnsdale after thousands of shots.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

When push comes to shove it's impossible to get anything better than Barnesdale limbs. Although it would be nice I'm glad not everybody uses them. To keep up with demand their quality would almost certainly have to suffer.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

image.jpg

Here is a pic of the splinter you can see it coming right off the roto cup.

Post Thanks / Like

That's were my splitered also. I cut off the splinter and finished my hunt befor sending the limbs back to Martin CS. Ther other place my limbs split was under the limb near the limb bolt and it was big split.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

My first set splintered there too only on the other side. It has to be the pressure from the Roto Cup and the past parallel limbs pivoting there. Seems like it makes a hard pressure point.