Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Bow needs some work Need answers

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first Bow needs some work Need answers

I just bought a Martin M-41 Cougar speed flite. The bow looks to be in pretty decent condition with the exception of a few missing pieces. My local archery shop didn't seem to enthusiastic to help so I'm turning to the forums for help. I hope you can tell what's missing just from the pictures because I can't tell and I'm not exactly sure but help would be greatly appreciated thank you.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Owthreewit. The bow is missing the cable slide. Other than that obviously you need an arrow rest of some sort and sights. Any good Archery shop should help a guy out even if you didn't purchase the bow from them. Search around for another archery shop, because it definitely seems to me you are going to need one. There is much more needed than just sticking a rest and sight onto a bow. Everything needs to be tuned up so that the arrow flies right and the bow shoots consistently at the same spot. If there aren't other archery shops close enough around you ask around of people that you know that shoot archery, find someone that can help.

Mike

3. Thanks Othreewit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You probably would want to check out the string see if it is ok or just have it changed out any way to be safe!! I always liked those bows isn't that the one with the crazy looking cams? I think they were pretty fast bows for there day!!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

5. Thanks Othreewit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See if your loacl Archery shop will at least tell you if the bow's String and Cables are OK or if they need replacing. From what I can see of the string, the serving seems to be intact and tight. If the loacl shop continues to be "unenthusiastic", take close-up pics of all ends of the string, and cables and post them here, we will also need to see how the string is connected to the cam/wheel. The folks here on this board are very helpfull, between us all, I'm sure that we can help you get your ole Cougar Speed Flight up and shootin.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

7. Thanks Othreewit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what your draw length is? Those are Z cams I think, and the module will need to be changed if it's not the correct one for your draw length, for that you'll need a bow press of some sort.

The steel cable is good. The string to me just needs to be lubed. The servings look OK.

10. Thanks Othreewit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My draw length is 36 but I'm not sure what it is on the bow how could I check it?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the cams look crazy but I'll post some pics so you can see

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Othreewit View Post
    My draw length is 36 but I'm not sure what it is on the bow how could I check it?
    I would almost guarantee your draw length is not 36"...99.9% of people aren't over 31". What's your wingspan? Divide it by 2.5. This will get you in the BALLPARK of your actual draw length.

Everything else looks to be ok. Get a rest and some sights on there and you'll have yourself a fine shooting machine

14. Thanks Othreewit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

28" sounds a lot better I was just dividing by two