Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year of model

DSTIEBS

Default Year of model

Can anyone tell me how I can find the Model year the bow was made. I bought a Martin Cougar lll with the straight limbs and the Fusion cam in mint condition. It is 55-70 lb pull with a 29" draw. I must be getting weak because it was set for 70lb and I had all I could do to pull it thru the let off point. I dropped it back down to 55lb which I can handle. I used to shoot 70 lb 20 years ago and decided to get back into bow hunting. I think it is the 2003 model but would like to be certain. Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be the 2003 version as long as i can guess from the module and string char. The scepter III ist available only in 2003.

bfisher or flytier will know.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if it's a Cougar III with Fusion cam then the year of manufacture is 2003.

You are finding something out. 55-70, and trying to shoot 70# doesn't work as we get older. You're not getting weak. This is called the natural progression of the aging process. Whereas I used to shoot about 67# when bows only had 35% letoff or so I now find myself shooting real close to 50#. For hunting a deer just doesn't care.

Enjoy your bow.

flytier17

I am perfectly fine shooting low 50lb bows. With the high energy speeds and high penetrating arrows, this is not an issue on any modern bow, unless you are pursuing very big game.

flytier17

You may consider ordering new limbs for a different peak weight. While the bow is fine to be shot @ fully backed off, it is not as effecient, an dalso harder to tune when this is done. Ideally, you should have limbs that max @ 55, or 60.

DSTIEBS

Thanks to you all for the info. I will take it down to the Martin Dealer and let him tune it up and have done to it what it needs or if to costly, trade it in.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish you luck with the bow. And with the trade if you go that route. There aren't too many places take trades any more.

buck hunter

probaly 03 or 04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Should be the 2003 version as long as i can guess from the module and string char. The scepter III ist available only in 2003.

bfisher or flytier will know.

Not true. Scepter 3 was also available in 04.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Fusion cam? Sure?
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010