Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: serious problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    After being told my cam was defective they now say the draw stop was setup incorrectly which somebody on here already said. I think im going to get a bow press because between a couple guys on here we had the problem figured out and my proshop was just about the worst customer support experience I've had to date. BUT im getting my bow back today so all is well in the world! Thanks again to everyone who helped me figure this out.
    aceman, I have a CougarFC with the Fury XT cams and truthfully you really don't absolutely need a bow press to take the whole bow apart. I have done it with mine, my brother's and my buddy's bows a number of times. I would definitely pay attention to the cam's edges and the module's edge also. Smoothing those out and polishing them as other's have stated might still be needed. I do have a Bowmaster press, but I'm not sure it was any faster using it, just depends on what you are doing to the bow. Just thought I'd let you know if you didn't already know it.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, tons of info on this thread haha! Thank you all so much!! I would've been on sooner, but I got my bow back and I realllly love to shoot so between work and sleep I've been shooting and getting ready for my hunt this week. Thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you have the bow back you'll have to find the time to explain just what was done and whether it fixed the problem.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

ughhhhh. The problem is still going on. Needs a new string again. Going to the shop again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

ughhhhh. The problem is still going on. Needs a new string again. Going to the shop again tomorrow.
    Unless there are actual stands on the string cut, all you need to have done is the end reserved. The end serving on most factory strings leave a lot to be desired.
    Those ends need to be served with .014 BCY Halo so they fit deeper into the tracks. I had a Blade X4 for a while, first thing I did was make a new string set out of
    452X using .014 Halo on the ends.....problem solved.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

What archerX7 says is true. What's going on is an engineering design flaw. In the quest for speed many cams are designed to be as light as possible so they are machined too narrow so the string grooves are too narrow for the serving size most commonly used. Couple this with sharp edges and a bit of cam lean and servings can become frayed or in severe cases even cut over time. Using the smallest serving size available can help tremendously.

A couple thousandths of an inch can make a world of difference. Consider that if you drop from .018" diameter to .014" it's only .004", but because the serving wraps around the string this actually doubles and becomes .008". Quite a difference when trying to fit into a narrow cam groove.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I was told it could be reserved but that it wouldn't be as strong. They reccomended I buy a new more expensive string so I did. I wish I had more knowledge about this stuff because it seems like every pro shop I go to just badmouths the other pro shops and basically I feel like Ive been sold a couple times now, which I get is part of their job I just wish people cared enough to actually help me fix this. You guys here really have been great though thanks again for all the help and input.

Post Thanks / Like

alot of pro shops r a waste of time the one down the road from me is horrible always pushin products diss n my martin not wantin to do things right dont go there no more do most everything myself now
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was told it could be reserved but that it wouldn't be as strong. They reccomended I buy a new more expensive string so I did. I wish I had more knowledge about this stuff because it seems like every pro shop I go to just badmouths the other pro shops and basically I feel like Ive been sold a couple times now, which I get is part of their job I just wish people cared enough to actually help me fix this. You guys here really have been great though thanks again for all the help and input.
    Thats a load of BS. Unless there are frayed/broken strands, the string will be just as strong as when it was built. I worked in a very large shop for about 5 years and had my own for a number of years, and have built strings for about 15 years. Unless the string they installed was served with a small diameter material like .014 Halo or similar material, the issue you are having will come right back. It dosen't matter if its a 25.00 string or a 80.00 string, if its not served with the correct material under the proper tension, it'll never hold up on a lot of cams these days. Its not just a Martin issue, I've seen the same thing on just about every brand out there.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Got agree with ArcherX7. Your shop is selling you bunch of BS. There are only two string materials in the world, that I know of. They Are BCY Fibers and Brownell. They both make excellent material of different percentages of Vectran and Dyneema that give each material certain performance characteristics. This where they come up with numbers like 8125, 452, 452X, Trophy, and so forth. Most commonly used material has been 8125, 452, and recently Trophy (speaking of BCY). All string makers use material from these two. Same goes for most serving materials.

Just because some string maker assembles a string and serves it doesn't mean that it's more resilient or stronger than another. It's based more on how much care (quality) each string maker puts into the job. I've seen cheap strings that I could move the serving by hand---did I say cheap? I've had custom strings by various guys, Hutch included, that were put together right and servings never separate or move on the string. I've reserved some myself over the years and did a better job than what was originally on the string. This applies to cables, too.

I'll give you just one example of how most good string makers operate. I recently got a set from Hutch for a bow shot by one of my students. Due to some factors the bow was out of operation for a couple weeks. I told Hutch that the center serving was too tight on the nocks so during this couple weeks I could reserve it myself or send it back for him to do it. Rather than either he offered to just make me another string and ship it to me---no charge. That's just how many string makers get a good reputation. It's not just the quality of their strings, but what they will do to maintain a good reputation for customer service. Kudos to you, Hutch. I know you're reading this.

And just because a set comes from somebody like Winner's Choice doesn't mean they are any better than some little guy like Hutch. It used to be, but such is not the case any more. The little guys have caught on and even keeping their prices within reason, usually at about 1/2 to 2/3 of what Winner's Choice charges.

If you want to do a little investigating try Googling BCY Fibers or Brownell and see what they offer. I know BCY offers some good tutorials and very good information about material, amount of strands, serving recommendations and such. It's almost mind boggling, but a good way to learn some of the terminology used. Whether your shop is selling you a load of BS or not is pure speculation, but if you plan on being in the archery game for any length of time the more you learn the more you'll be able to tell who is BSing you or not.

I find it almost comical knowing more than some of the guys working in shops. And let me pass on this little bit of info. Most Pro Shops are not really pro shops. They are archery shops/stores. Very very few have a real professional shooting for them. The owners make their money by selling things, not shooting. There are only a few guys in the US that make enough money to live on by shooting a bow. These are the true professionals and even most of these guys have other full time jobs.

OK, I've gotten off track and rambled enough. On with life. I have housework to do.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver