Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam lean (fury xt)!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam lean (fury xt)!

So I've recently noticed that my cam on my 2012 Pantera has a pretty bad lean to the left (viewed from shooters position). Now the bow shoots just fine and I haven't noticed any negative impacts from it, but nevertheless I took it to a local shop and they said it def needs repaired. Has anyone else shot a bow with cam lean and not had a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to verify, does your cam lean or the idler wheel? Pics would be nice. ..
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

The cam. I'll try to get pics but it only leans at full draw so I'll see if my fiancÚ can snap a couple shots. Watching it, it starts straight up and down and as I draw it begins to lean to the left.

Post Thanks / Like

My Rytera Alien Nemesis has noticeable cam lean in the top cam (see picture: http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...pec-deviations ) . However, the bow shoots bullet holes in paper test and broadheads hit the same spot with field tips. And it is accurate (I just won our club's championship with it). I think there's absolutely no reason to do anything about it - and it would be hard anyway, since there are no yokes in the cable system.

But indeed, pictures would help to estimate the situation with your bow.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

I spent some time really looking over the bow last night and I think I've found the problem. I put a Saunders hyper glide on it and I think it's pulling my cables to close to the rod causing extra tension on the cam. I'm going to switch back to the stock slide and see if the problem goes away. I will post some pics tonight, thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Worse come to worse you could change the rod and put a bent one on the bow. Then use the Hyperglide if you wish. This way you'd be able to adjust it. Also take note that you don't need a lot of clearance. If the vanes don't hit the cable then that's all you need. Anything more just twists the limbs more than necessary.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's what's happening, it seems like the limbs are twisting and it gets worse as I draw.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the one thing I don't care for with the Binary cam system. There's no yoke to twist to straighten out the cams. There are pros and cons to any cam system, but I honestly think there are more cons than pros to the Binaries. Same can be said for short bows with big cams. String angles from the cam to the cable slide are more acute which leaves less room for adjustment and the larger cams exert more twisting force on the limb tips. I have always thought and still do that this is one of the major factors contributing to a lot of the limb failures in today's bows. Limbs are designed to bend, not twist. Thus just one more reason for my desire for longer a2a bow.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean when you say "Binary cam system" do you mean a bow with two cams? I think I learned something here, I just can't figure out what it was. I think I learned that I want a larger ATA bow, with a smaller cam. I also have noticed the diameter of idler wheels is gigantic. Does this make a difference in lean on that limb?
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Bluesman View Post
    What do you mean when you say "Binary cam system" do you mean a bow with two cams? I think I learned something here, I just can't figure out what it was. I think I learned that I want a larger ATA bow, with a smaller cam. I also have noticed the diameter of idler wheels is gigantic. Does this make a difference in lean on that limb?
    Now you're getting the idea of how I think. Think of it this way. I cam or idler wheel is nothing more than a round lever exerting pressure on the limb tip. As with any lever the longer it is the less effort is needed to make it do it's work. In this case the work is twisting the limb tips. The more pressure put on the lever (wheel or cam) the more the limb tip gets twisted. This is what we observe and call cam lean. Assume that the cam is straight with the bow at rest. As the bow is drawn more stress is transferred to the cables and as the bow drops into full draw the maximum force is applied to the cables (minimum force on the string). It is at this point cam lean will be greatest as the limbs are twisted to the max. The problem is limbs are not designed to be twisted, but bent toward each other. Another problem is that the string/cable grooves should be tracking in a straight line toward each other and parallel to the riser. Such is not the case with the cams "leaning". Depending on how the string grooves are machined this causes premature wear on the string servings at best and string derailment at worst. Well, almost. The worst case is limb failure (longitudinal splitting) due to constant twisting.

So what is too much cam lean (limb twisting)? In my opinion there should be none whatsoever, but this won't happen so long as the cables are pulled to the side by a cable rod/slide or roller guard. This is the technology we have been stuck with for the last 35 years. It's always been in the design, but as bows become shorter the angle of side pull becomes more acute so more noticeable.

So why isn't something being done about it? IMO, simply because we, as consumers, don't demand it. Limb failure rates are acceptable enough that companies can just replace limbs. Limb failure borders on about 1% across the industry for all reasons. And as much as that may be acceptable to most it's not always so for the person that experiences it. So long as we keep buying bows with this old technology they have no reason to address the issue. We, as consumers, are more interested in how much shorter and faster bows can become; not how much more reliable easier to tune, and pleasant to shoot.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver