Thread: Scepter V setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scepter V setup

I know its probably been asked a million times before but I'm going to help infuse more activity in this forum and ask again I have a new to me 2012 Scepter V which with a little luck should be waiting for me when I get home from work today. I purchased it bare bow from original owner and I'm now thinking about how to set it up. This will be a dedicated target bow and I intend to just shooting spots in my back yard. As far as arrow rest go, my hunting bow has a Whisker Biscuit and my 3d bow, I use a drop away. I'm sort of in analysis paralysis on what to do with the Scepter, Blade type or drop away? What would be a good choice in either type for the Scepter V? I'm currently shooting 500 spine aluminums. Also would like to hear any opinions on a reasonably priced sight. BTW, I was really relieved to see Martin saved from the auction block and hope they thrive for many generations to come. I've been shooting Martins since the 70's (Giving away my age) and always thought they built a good bow for a more than reasonable price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Septer V club.
    I shoot mine non-sights and fingers, I have a Timberdoodel ll on mine and love it.
    Why not set it up for fingers and shoot it for everything?
    Have a great time with it however you set it up.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.

Post Thanks / Like

For Target I would go with a blade rest with a wide blade. The Sight on mine is a DS Advantage sight with a Specialty archery Pro XL scope with 4x Lens and Specialty archery Peep with interchangeable peeps.

Post Thanks / Like

On Archerytalk there are always great deals on used target sights. I prefer CBE though. As far as a rest, if you're gonna shoot just spots, a blade rest tuned to your arrows is as good as it gets. Stabilizer setup is whatever feels good for you

Post Thanks / Like

Double S that's a great looking rig you have! Jake, that's a good idea. I'll check the want ad's on AT for the sight. I'm pretty excited about this bow and I got such a good deal on it that I've got a decent amount of spare change for accessories.

6. Likes Double S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Welcome to the Septer V club.
    I shoot mine non-sights and fingers, I have a Timberdoodel ll on mine and love it.
    Why not set it up for fingers and shoot it for everything?
    Have a great time with it however you set it up.
    Don.
    We are a rare breed Don, even amongst the Scepter crowd.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot barebow fingers as well, have been with a 2001 cougar elite, and am now setting up a 20011 Shadowcat. Tried various rests but eventually came back to the good old springy rest. Nearly bullet proof and so simple.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Sonny Thomas

If just back yard shooting, many arrow rests would get the job done. I used the original Limb Driver on my Shadowcat, large, wide fork launch arm.

Spot shooting leans toward spot gear, so Super Ball peep 3 orifice kit usually gets it done. So many adjustable sight frames and I guess all good. I have the older Sure Locs, just bullet proof and that they as old as they are and work like brand new says they are bullet proof. Heard the new ones weren't as good, but then those saying so usually are pushing what they have. 4X lens will suffice. Pin size is optional - .029" works, but more are leaning to .019".

500 spine arrows....What draw weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny

I shoot my compounds between 52-55 lbs. The 500's fly really nice out of them. I'm open to arrow suggestions as well. It doesn't take much promting to get me to fletch up a new batch. All great advice above. I ordered a blade rest yesterday and will be checking out the AT want ads for a sight. I'll order a suber ball peep today. Got the bow last night and I have to say that the Scepter V is really a nice rig. I can't believe how smooth the draw is! I think I'm going to really like this bow. I hope the new management at Martin continues producing reasonably priced, high quality shooting gear like this.

Sonny Thomas

You should be good for spine at 52 to 55 pounds, just maybe heavy, which won't hurt a thing.
    My Shadowcat was set to right at 55 pounds. With a measured 28 1/4" draw it would launch CXL Pro 150s at 281.0 fps, but using proper serving for the cables it would hit 284.0 fps. My CXL Pro 150s weigh 282 grs. If I heard correctly the Scepter V is a tad quicker than the Shadowcat.