Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I Love About Archery--Natalie Halterman

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's great Barry. I am sure there is a lot of pride in her, thanks to you!! Is there anyway I can get you down here to NC to teach my Grandson? I might have to bring him up to you for a weekend. All kidding aside, there is no greater joy than passing the sport on to the younguns!
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Bluesman View Post
    Man, that's great Barry. I am sure there is a lot of pride in her, thanks to you!! Is there anyway I can get you down here to NC to teach my Grandson? I might have to bring him up to you for a weekend. All kidding aside, there is no greater joy than passing the sport on to the younguns!
    To tell the truth she is my pride and joy. I do my best to help a lot of kids, but she is the standout. She just enjoys shooting and has a desire to excel. The sad part for me is that she can outshoot me. Of course my mental game isn't what it once was as I get more concerned with how well she does and it distracts from my shooting, but that's OK. Archery is a sport many can enjoy and it isn't about me any more. It's bigger than that. Presently she is shooting about 10-15 points higher (Vegas round) than the record set last year by another girl in her class. I'm bugging her to shoot the state indoor championship this year. Who knows? I might be coaching a new state champion.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

This girl is truely an amazement to me. After finishing the indoor season last year with a 475 Vegas round I figured she'd knuckle down and be shooting about 520-530 by the end this year (end of March). The little munchkin just shot a personal best Wednesday evening with a 552, a full 25 points above the state record for her class last year (527). She's beating half the adult males shooting open or unlimited in the league. She'll be 11 April 8th.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Great for the kid, Barry, but keep her over there with you

Still, I can't get along with that Vegas face. Best I ever did was 575. Our state had the Vegas face event a 60 arrow event every time, 30 on the lower line and 30 on the upper line. Go to Vegas and you shoot 30 each day for 3 days. I probably couldn't handle that either...No, I know I couldn't handle that either.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    This girl is truely an amazement to me. After finishing the indoor season last year with a 475 Vegas round I figured she'd knuckle down and be shooting about 520-530 by the end this year (end of March). The little munchkin just shot a personal best Wednesday evening with a 552, a full 25 points above the state record for her class last year (527). She's beating half the adult males shooting open or unlimited in the league. She'll be 11 April 8th.
    Wow. Now that's some good shootin'.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Good coach and a good listener= Good job!! Way to go girl!! good job Barry.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill. I keep telling her every once in a while that she doesn't need me much any more, but she really goes off when I say that. I guess she still needs me if for no other reason to keep reminding her of the things I've taught her. I stand right behind her at the shooting line and whisper things to her (aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow---focus focus focus, or follow thru). Little things to keep reinforcing her mental game. Afterall, as I keep telling her, once you draw and anchor all the rest is between the ears.

I've begun working her harder, blind baling for 30 minutes as part of our practice sessions. Again, just to improve little things like her release and mental game.
    Last edited by bfisher; 02-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Barry that is awesome!!! Congrats to you both!!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just had to dig this out of the archives to update anybody interested. For anybody who has shot a Vegas round (600), Natalie, my 10 yr. old student just posted a league score of 563 in Cadet/Female, BH-Unl this past Sunday. For Anybody who shoots or has shot this venue you'll understand just how significant such a score is. One more league shoot to go and then it's the PSAA indoor championship where she just might be state champion and blow the old record of 527 out of the water. Think about it. She's 10 years old and been shooting about 1 1/2 years. I am proud to be her coach. She makes me look better than I am.
    Last edited by bfisher; 03-18-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Vegas Round or any competitive shooting, but from the score out of a possible 600, that is great, and even more amazing is her age. Could she be in the Olympics some day? Does she do that type of shooting?
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver