Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Module screws

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck Module screws

Well, my joy at getting a new to me Scepter V ended abruptly when I tried to loosen the draw length module screws to adjust. I busted 2 wrenches, sliced my finger open, twisted another like a pretzel. Finally decided to remove the cams and drill the heads off in my drill press. NO Go.........are these screws hardened? I melted the end of a drill bit in one Brought them to work today and hopefully my longtime friend and master toolmaker will be able to drill the heads off with a carbide drill. I hope part of the new Martin line up includes a better, more trouble free way to adjust draw length. I guess this is just sort of a rant as I only seem to have 2 choices at this point, hope they can be removes or buy new cams.........well maybe a third, learn to shoot it set to the draw length of an Orangutan. (I have the draw length of a Hobit)

Sonny Thomas

I noted this with Martins more than any other bow. Oxidation. Had the screw broke loose you would have smelled something like sulfur.

I have never had problems drilling, but not a wise choice either. A bit too much and....

What I have done is used a dremel and thin cutoff wheel to grind a screw slot wide enough for a big screw driver or to use a center punch to drive the screw loose as you would turning the screw.

If anything I'd contact Martin. You could then send the cams to Martin and shipping would be far cheaper. And definitely insure the cams, so while on the phone with Martin ask what the cams would cost. Me, if I didn't ask for cost, insure for no less than $200.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Sonny. Fortunately in the time it took to right my post, the Toolmaker got them out using a carbide end mill in a bridgeport. He bored through the screw head and unscrewed what was left with a vice grip. He said they were loctited in and I'd never had gotten them out. Well, I'm starting to feel the love again! Got my Lizard tongue rest over the weekend so now I have to source a sight and scope and stabilzer and I'll be ready to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I used my DeWalt impact driver.... I went to my local machine supply store and got an Allen bit that fit the mod screws, put it in my magnetic impact bit doohickey and voila!

If you're going to do this, exercise some care... I was very gentle while dong this and it worked great.

After I got the screws out I cleaned the threads in the mods and REPLACED the screws... I also have a backup set in my tackle box.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerlineman83 View Post
    For what it's worth, I used my DeWalt impact driver.... I went to my local machine supply store and got an Allen bit that fit the mod screws, put it in my magnetic impact bit doohickey and voila!

If you're going to do this, exercise some care... I was very gentle while dong this and it worked great.

After I got the screws out I cleaned the threads in the mods and REPLACED the screws... I also have a backup set in my tackle box.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the info........seems like this is a very common problem. I'm just happy that they are sitting on my desk with new screws finger tight (For now) in them. I'm fortunate to have a complete machine shop at my disposal. It looks to me as though the screws Martin uses are hardened. Probably with the intent that the hexes won't strip out.

Post Thanks / Like

Throw some bow string wax, or anti-seize on the bolts before you put them back in. That'll keep them from sticking again, and they won't come loose on their own. When using either, I make sure to get some on the threads as well as the underside of the head. I've had a couple module screws that were bound up due to the head being galled onto the module. The threads were plenty loose once I got the heads off. I drilled mine out as well.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Sonny Thomas

I have yet to see hardened mod screws. Perhaps the previous owner put in heat treated screws.

Another tip, use other brand screws that have larger allen holes. Had a FireCat that I replaced the screws with Pearson screws. Worked great.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    I have yet to see hardened mod screws. Perhaps the previous owner put in heat treated screws.

Another tip, use other brand screws that have larger allen holes. Had a FireCat that I replaced the screws with Pearson screws. Worked great.....
    Great idea Sonny!

Post Thanks / Like

bow string wax will hold them and prevent oxidation
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    bow string wax will hold them and prevent oxidation
    X2.! Do not loctite them in.

11. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post