Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nobody excited about whats new for 2014?

Sonny Thomas

Still can't edit though. The red pointer is showing the tab for timing.

Post Thanks / Like

You know Sonny! this is just an observation, but most of the limb failures I have seen online have been solid limbs. So I agree that going to split limbs would be a good move. I also like the fact that they are going to all solid risers, I have never had a problem with the module risers but there is a stigma attached to it. I am sure the new Martins will have good fit and finish and I would think that they would not go out on a limb with new innovation this early in the game. I am curious about price point and if they will go to more of a pro shop business model. I am a fan of companies that offer bows priced for all levels of income for our fellow archers, I know PSE has pulled this off but if you look at Bear IMO it has kind of hurt them. In my opinion Bear makes as good a bow as anybody, but they have not shaken the big box stigma of their lower priced offerings. I am looking forward to seeing the direction the new Martin management will take, we will know more in January from the sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Martin will have no choice but to have offerings for the box stores. They have to get something positive going and this might be the way to get it done. There has just been too much negative press about their bows the last couple years. Their dealer base seems to be on the downslide as well. There are lots of dealers, but few stock their bows. It's going to take some time even if their bows are solid. If dealers aren't moving their bows then box stores is about all that is left.

From a personal standpoint, after using so many bows over the years, I'd be inclined to scrap the binary cams and some out with pure dual cams again with yoked cables. Same for the single cams, of course. Never have been a fan of binary/hybrid cams. Strings have gotten good enough over the last decade that cam sync problems are not much of an issue like they used to be. In other words, BRING BACK THE NITROUS CAMS w/optional X system.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Better QC, Better Finish, Better Limbs (Barsdale) and bring back some cams from the past (Nitrous). #1 thing would be limbs, I'v owned 7 martins over the past serveal years and all but the 2011 Onza had limb issues. 2009 Pantera went thought 3X pair, I beleve that was befor Power Tough.
    Last edited by Tosi; 12-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just excited there's gonna be a 2014 lineup!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Sonny Thomas

Like Barry, Martin has a ways to get back in the run of things, so if box stores are a start so be it.

Martin has had two lines of bows, Gold Series for box stores and any bow shop and the Pro Series for full dealerships, the way I understand it anyway.

Of course we have discussed having too bows in the line up. Of the Pro Series, when I raced cars on the drag strip our rip roaring, dirty thunder sound cars had polish. If it wasn't fancy paint then it was polished or chrome. One thing so of depressed me was my top of line Shadowcat just as plain jane, not even shiny black, black cams, black everything. No one looked at unless I stuck it in their hand.
    Speaking sticking my Shadowcat in some one's hand, I did just that to Steve Boylan. If you don't know him you just got a failing grade. Steve has won just about every big indoor event held over the years and was a NFAA Triple Crown Championship. So Steve a I shot this 3D and after I had him try my Shadowcat. I told him to hang on cause when hit the wall he'd know it. He drew and smacked the wall and looked me like; Lord! So he sort of like it and then; It sure isn't colorful, is it?

Something like Barry, but I think I'm just getting tired of double cam bows. I'd like to see yokes of double cam bows. Pearsons, like Martins, have no way to correct cam lean. You got it, you got it. Still, I believe X amount of cam/wheel lean doesn't detract from accuracy. I don't know if I have a picture here and can "back door" one in or not. But, one of the worst wheel/cam lean bows I have is my Ole War Horse, a 2000 Hoyt UltraTec. If tuners were to see the lean this bow had they would sit down and cry. Yeah, wheel leaning one way and cam leaning the other way. This bow has put more trophies and awards on my trophy wall than probably all my other bows combined. A two day State Champion Field event is no cake walk, but the had to be de-speeded bow landed me a 2nd place, 2 points down from the Champion. 224 arrows in two days. So if I say BS on cam lean you know where it's coming from.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sonny Thomas

GRRRRR Still can't edit. The above pictured bow is how you see it when I took 2nd place, shot off the string with a cushion button and the Hoyt floating yoke and yes, a plain old QuikTune 3000 prong shoot through rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Just seen the sneak peek of the 2014 catalogue, looks like Martin got rid of the CCS system and went to a cable slide for the new 2014 Alien Nitro. A few new take downs look cool. The Alien Nitro looks like it doesn't have much changes other than cable slide. Seems interesting but I want to feel how it shoots now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alienshooter View Post
    Just seen the sneak peek of the 2014 catalogue, looks like Martin got rid of the CCS system and went to a cable slide for the new 2014 Alien Nitro. A few new take downs look cool. The Alien Nitro looks like it doesn't have much changes other than cable slide. Seems interesting but I want to feel how it shoots now.
    That ain't fair. We need a link so we can have a look-see.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Solid production quality and real quality control to follow it up. I've had a few Martins and Ryteras over the last 5 years, liked how they shot. But there was usually a little thing that had to be fixed or just wasn't right.

I picked up an overstock '11 Silencer Pro today, new in the box. Martin is sending the replacement for the TRG and I'm looking forward to setting it up. I currently have compounds from Pearson, Hoyt, Athens, Elite, Diamond, Forge, Bear and Darton, so I look for feel and quality over the brand name.
    " I learned a few years ago that my wife doesn't know a thing about bows - but she can count..."