Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Storm

Post Thanks / Like

We just came out of an 9 hr blackout. I sat the genie up and the carb was stuck and was blowing gas out the side again. Drove 45 miles, two towns over to the small engine repair. He was getting ready to close up in an hour but he would tear it down really quick to see if the float was stuck. He knew we were in a black out. It was a no go on repair. The pic was corroded and I needed a new string pin or an carb upgrade. Apparently he needed a certain Chinese made pin that wasn't in his Chinese parts collection. LOL
    Fortunately we have candles and a backup emergency Propane heater in the living room. Darn ice on the power lines. I need to buy those 100 hr survival candles for back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds bad Simon. I guess you'll survive though. Snow stopped here last night. I got out in the dark and used the snowblower to clear my drive and three neighbors. Smell like a gasaholic when I came in. School was delayed 2 hours here, and the one I was to drive for closed anyway (private school). The publics were open. I'm a little PO'd though. I had removed my car from the street so the township could plow. Pulled it onto my front lawn. Just cleaned it off and the booger won't move. Tires sunk about 2" into the lawn and traction sucks. Guess I'll have to yank it out with the Silverado. Temperature is close to zero so I can just see me climbing under the car to hook up the chain. Uggggh!!!
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

and possibaly a new generator carb. Hate sitting in the dark, especially while the neighbors gennie is running!!! My worst blackout lasted 8 days...and two weeks later 6 more days. Every neighbor within hearing had a generator running, all of them with a differnt sound. I miss living on the Mendocino Coast, until I remember those few weeks. I bought a Honda after the second blackout, would had gotten one sooner, but every Honda dealer within a 3 hour drive was sold out.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Power out here also, but only about 3 hours. Was just about ready to fire up the generator and the lights came on. Archery club bought one, a DuroMax, for long distances from our electricity. Never used it but one time and they decided to sell it. They'd fire it up, had Stable in the gas all the time, and then shut the gas off and let it run the carb dry. It fired right up and I took it. Dad said it was a little big, but bigger is gooder. I check it every so often.

Sorry about your power being out, Simon and Elk. That's a long hual. Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Power out here also, but only about 3 hours. Was just about ready to fire up the generator and the lights came on. Archery club bought one, a DuroMax, for long distances from our electricity. Never used it but one time and they decided to sell it. They'd fire it up, had Stable in the gas all the time, and then shut the gas off and let it run the carb dry. It fired right up and I took it. Dad said it was a little big, but bigger is gooder. I check it every so often.

Sorry about your power being out, Simon and Elk. That's a long hual. Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........
    Kind of makes you have a little more respect for them. I know I was out a few times today just cleaning snow and it's no picnic. Just got back from the archery club. We have practice wednesday eveings and although we just put in a new gas heater the club treasurer is always griping about the cost so I go out and fire up the wood stove to help out. Lord knows, with 1300+ members and $160,000 in the bank we do need to conserve all we can (sarcasm). Gas bill will probably hit about $1500 this year what with the price increases. What can you expect from mostly a gun club? But at $35 a year it's a small price to pay to be able to shoot inside when winter comes. It's either that or stay home and watch "chopped" or "house hunters" on TV with the wife-----NOT.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Other than temps that don't make it to 20 (it's 10 right now), the weather is nice here. Nothing but sunshine earlier. I'm glad you guys made it through safe and sound.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

This how you feel Sonny & Barry?
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

The generators still in the repair shop. I told him to upgrade the carb. I'm gonna start using that C-Foam stuff in my equipment. We've gone 7 days without Electricity a couple years ago when over 100 power lines dropped like dominoes from ice buildup. We didn't have a generator back then. We live near the river so we hauled buckets of water from the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    . Still, I think about those line men out there in the cold, up in a bucket, in the wind. Those power lines, ours anyway, carry 4000 volts. One wrong move and........
    Soooo, I'm a lineman for Comcast Cable... and the funny thing is, when commercial power goes down, so does our services because SURPRISE our equipment needs electricity too. We run generators out to some locations to insert power into our stuff, but we can't put generators on everything!

When power lines are down, we can't go up until the power linemen are done. Then we can go repair our down lines and stuff.... It cracks me up when people get upset that the cable isn't working when they have a generator to run their stuff and the rest of the neighborhood is down. They come out and yell at us and whatnot LOL. People are usually pretty cool during and after big storms though, we get lots of thank you's when we're out in the nasty weather fixing stuff

Hopefully the rest of the winter is better guys, I feel for those that have had hardships so far....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    This how you feel Sonny & Barry?
    Harry sent me that picture and asked the same thing. I replied; "Throw some logs on it and set it on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself