I was wondering how other states archery seasons are structured. Especially in how many deer are allowed with the bow, bucks and does?

In Wisconsin when I purchase my archery and gun license at the same time I am given 3 antlerless tags and two buck tags. One buck tag is marked "Archery Buck" the other is "Gun Buck". One of the antlerless tags is marked "Archery Antlerless" and can only be taken with a bow. The other two are marked "Herd Control Antlerless" and can only be used in deer management units that are above DNR population goals, but can be taken with either gun or bow. The "Gun Buck" tag can be taken during the 9 day deer gun season by means of Bow, Crossbow, Muzzleloader, Pistol, Shotgun, or Rifle. In the Herd Control Units extra antlerless permits are available for $2.00 each.

Then: Antlerless Deer Carcass Tags
Unit-Specific–Unit specific Antlerless Deer Carcass Tags are only valid for tagging one antlerless deer in the unit specified on the tag. This tag is not weapon-specific. Unit-specific antlerless tags for regular units* are $12.00 for residents and $20.00 for non-residents ($5 for youth ages 10 and 11) and can be purchased at any DNR license vendor, online at dnr.wi.gov, or by phone. Quantities will be limited. For all regular DMUs, these tags will be sold starting at 10 A.M. on Saturday, Aug. 17.
* Zero-quota units: Four regular DMUs will not have unit-specific antlerless tags available in 2013. These units are: 7, 29B, 34, and 39.

Our Archery Deer Season runs from the Saturday closest to the 15th of September through the first Sunday in January, except for the Friday before the opening day of the GUN Deer Season.

Now the Gov. Walker signed into law the Crossbow Season starting next year that will run concurrently with the regular Archery Season. I am not real sure how this is going to be structured. I have heard that a Regular Archery License will have to be purchased and then a Crossbow License will also be required and that the Archery tags then will be valid for any type of legal bow including the crossbow.

It sometimes just about takes a lawyer to understand seasons and quotas. I hear that we have it easy in Wisconsin and the tags limits are quite liberal.

Pretty much I like to put 2 or 3 deer in my freezer per year. That usually gives me plenty of venison for the year. In years that I see a lot of deer where I hunt I'll usually take 1 or 2 does with the bow and then settle down to hunt a bigger buck. If I have 2 deer in my freezer by the gun season I will only take a buck or large doe with the gun and after I have the 1 deer I am done hunting. This year I had a bear in my freezer and wasn't seeing a real lot of deer before the season or for that matter during the season so I decided to take only a buck with the bow and gun. Even though the area I hunt is in a herd control unit, those excess deer are located in pockets, usually on private lands.

These are the 3 animals I put in the freezer this year.

smbear.jpg2013gunbuck.jpgsmbowbuck.jpg

Mike