Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many deer does your state allow with bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many deer does your state allow with bow?

I was wondering how other states archery seasons are structured. Especially in how many deer are allowed with the bow, bucks and does?

In Wisconsin when I purchase my archery and gun license at the same time I am given 3 antlerless tags and two buck tags. One buck tag is marked "Archery Buck" the other is "Gun Buck". One of the antlerless tags is marked "Archery Antlerless" and can only be taken with a bow. The other two are marked "Herd Control Antlerless" and can only be used in deer management units that are above DNR population goals, but can be taken with either gun or bow. The "Gun Buck" tag can be taken during the 9 day deer gun season by means of Bow, Crossbow, Muzzleloader, Pistol, Shotgun, or Rifle. In the Herd Control Units extra antlerless permits are available for $2.00 each.

Then: Antlerless Deer Carcass Tags
    Unit-Specific–Unit specific Antlerless Deer Carcass Tags are only valid for tagging one antlerless deer in the unit specified on the tag. This tag is not weapon-specific. Unit-specific antlerless tags for regular units* are $12.00 for residents and $20.00 for non-residents ($5 for youth ages 10 and 11) and can be purchased at any DNR license vendor, online at dnr.wi.gov, or by phone. Quantities will be limited. For all regular DMUs, these tags will be sold starting at 10 A.M. on Saturday, Aug. 17.
    * Zero-quota units: Four regular DMUs will not have unit-specific antlerless tags available in 2013. These units are: 7, 29B, 34, and 39.

Our Archery Deer Season runs from the Saturday closest to the 15th of September through the first Sunday in January, except for the Friday before the opening day of the GUN Deer Season.

Now the Gov. Walker signed into law the Crossbow Season starting next year that will run concurrently with the regular Archery Season. I am not real sure how this is going to be structured. I have heard that a Regular Archery License will have to be purchased and then a Crossbow License will also be required and that the Archery tags then will be valid for any type of legal bow including the crossbow.

It sometimes just about takes a lawyer to understand seasons and quotas. I hear that we have it easy in Wisconsin and the tags limits are quite liberal.

Pretty much I like to put 2 or 3 deer in my freezer per year. That usually gives me plenty of venison for the year. In years that I see a lot of deer where I hunt I'll usually take 1 or 2 does with the bow and then settle down to hunt a bigger buck. If I have 2 deer in my freezer by the gun season I will only take a buck or large doe with the gun and after I have the 1 deer I am done hunting. This year I had a bear in my freezer and wasn't seeing a real lot of deer before the season or for that matter during the season so I decided to take only a buck with the bow and gun. Even though the area I hunt is in a herd control unit, those excess deer are located in pockets, usually on private lands.

These are the 3 animals I put in the freezer this year.

smbear.jpg2013gunbuck.jpgsmbowbuck.jpg

Mike

2. Likes typically8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my state and GMU for Archery, 1 Buck or Doe. If your Gun hunting, 1 buck only. Bucks must be 3 points on one side. That's it unless you win one of those extra deer raffles.
    Last edited by Double S; 12-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One buck and eight antlerless anything under three inches are considered antlerless. You would have to hop counties to get to the nine deer limit and you can take them all with archery if you would choose to do so. I always purchase an antlerless tag and an either sex tag my season is done if I fill both or the end of season whatever comes first.

Sonny Thomas

Default How many deer does your state allow with bow?

Not really deer hunting crazy I pay attention to my area, which pretty much covers the state except in control areas.
    We are allowed two bucks only, whether bow or gun. We allowed all the does with a bow your check book can pay for.
    Passed a couple years ago, archers can hunt during the 3 guns seasons so long as they wear the required blaze orange.
    So from Oct 1st thru mid Jan, the end of late firearms season. I have some friends who regularly take 6 and more deer per year. Since taking up bow hunting around 2000 I've averaged almost 3 deer a year. I am not picky. If a buck steps out, yeah, I'll take him if possible, but just as soon have a nice size doe or big yearling. This year I've hung it up with the 11 point buck I took. Still, I have time if I want to fill the doe tag I have.

Whoops. Archery and firearms tags can be bought over the counter. For archery you buy 2, that's how they are sold. You get a Either sex (use for a buck) and Antlerless. So one buck and one doe for $25.00. You have to have a hunting license and a Habitat Stamp. Altogether about $43 dollars. Sort of a sucker punch, you don't need a hunting license for small game on your own property, but need it for deer hunting. We have 31 acres. If having 40 acres and you can get one permit only for just applying, no charge.

I quit hunting with a gun....around 2003 or 2004. I used a shotgun for firearms season until about the same time, but was more of the Pistol hunter, which was then late firearms season. Late firearms was later changed to any firearm. Late season is for anterless deer only. There is Early Youth season for kids, 3 day archery, before archery season comes in. There is a Muzzle Loading Only firearms season, 3 days.

Firearms seasons, 3 of them, are a 3 day in Nov, a 4 day in Dec and a 3 day in Jan, late firearms season. Applications are for 1 deer per permit and can apply for either for buck or doe. A second buck with a firearm is done through a drawing or something. And does with a firearm are held to two. How, I don't know. The wife though has applied for double permits.

Again, if we sell our property and move to town, I'll probably quit hunting altogether. Having no desire, I've turned down a elk hunt and a black bear hunt. I'd be the same for anything else. Even a trip to Africa is not enticing. Heck, I won't even drive to Metropolis for the ASA ProAm held there, 5 hour drive or so. Never went to the ASA State Championship for the same reason, too long a drive and not worth the trip even if I won. Not a lot of money in the Super Senior Class and being State Champion you get pat on your back and next day you're forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Nevada it's one animal per year and you have to draw a tag. Seasons are archery, muzzle loader, and any legal weapon, usually meaning rifle. You need to put in for specific sex, can't do both, it's one or the other. The exception is the dream tag lottery where you can be drawn for a deer tag and also draw / win the one dream tag for the state. Odds of that are too high for me to figure.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

here in MT u can buy a total of 7 antlerless and 1 buck tag unless u draw an extra one for one of 3 areas . where I live I get 5 antlerless doe tags for the area 260 and try to draw the 260 either sex tag . Our buck tag is good from sept 1 thru Jan 15 only in area 260 tho other areas have a archery season from sept 1 till oct 17 and a one week break for those areas till gun season runs from oct 24 till the weekend after thanksgiving. I spend most my time in area 260 cause it is an archery only area unless u draw a muzzleloader shotgun tag for antlerless only wich runs from dec 1 till jan 15 but not many tags for the guns in 260 and only allowed to hunt public or private. I hunt a wildlife refuge where they allow only whitetail deer archery hunting during the off season all entry is forbidden it makes for a great sanctuary
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

DoubleS and I suffer from the same affliction: Washington State! LOL Like he said, we only get one deer tag a year unless you happen to put in for and draw the extra tag lotto. Otherwise you get one tag, and your choice of weapon system. So you are locked into a weapon choice for the year (of course you could do other weapons for other species).

A couple nice things about this state though, is that you get an archery tag, and its good for virtually every GMU (game management unit) in the state, you just have to read the regulations for every unit you hunt in, cause they're all different, and its good for both early and late seasons as well. Of course there are tons of specialty hunts available for draw, and if you want to hunt elk, you not only have to choose weapon but east side of the state vs. west side as well.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

9. Likes Double S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In NC your allowed basically 6 deer when you get your license. State is divided up in to 4 regions. In the region I hunt which is north of Charlotte, I am allowed 6 deer, only 2 can be antlered. You can harvest with any weapon. The archery season starts Sept 7th, and runs to Nov 8, than two weeks of muzzleloader, than rifle to Jan 1. The regions have earlier and longer gun seasons as you go east in the state, and shorter rifle season as you go west. Bu66t everything begins First Saturday in September and ends Jan 1. If you get your limit of 6, you can buy unlimited doe permits. One interesting season is the Urban Archery season. This season this year opened up Jan 11th and runs through Feb 15. This is a season that participating towns and small cities have to thin the urban deer herd. Archery only with various restrictions decided on by each individual town. No public lands, you have to know a landowner. For instance one town allows hunters on 2 acres or more, the adjacent town requires 10 acres, 10 feet up, and no closer than 500 feet to a dwelling. It is a great season, because I had deer hunting withdraw on Jan 1, and this little season lets me get the old Cougar II back out, and I can still get my fix. Then start practising turkey calls for spring turkey. No fall turkey here in NC. That's about it for here. Sounds like out west there are too many restrictions.
    Bluesman

Post Thanks / Like

Screenshot_2014-04-27-12-14-43.jpg
    I live in unit L in Ten. We are basically allowed to kill 3a day from the start of archery at the end of Sept. to the first week of Jan. which is the end of GMA(gun,muzzleloader,archery)no more than one buck a day,max 3 bucks for the season.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Pantera Magnum 70#
    Oneida Strike Eagle 60-80#

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a bunch of deer! In Oregon, it's one per year! No idea why, we've got thousands of 'em, they're like fleas on a dog, everywhere, 10-15 does per buck, and that ratio should be closer to 6 to 1.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade