Thread: how do I know what arrows to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how do I know what arrows to use?

I know it's a stupid question but I was wondering if there was more to it than draw length and weight? It seems like guys put a lot of time and money into their arrows and I just pick mine out at WalMart. Could a better arrow effect my shooting? I don't shoot to bad ,.im just looking for anything that helps make a difference ( I practice a ton already lol)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

aceman, here there is now stupid questions. Some put a ton of thought into their arrows to get a good arrow flight. Some look for kinetics for hunting. Spine is the most important thing that is so the arrow is not too weak and flexes properly. Also not too stiff and not flex at all. So the length of the arrow and shooting weight the arrow is made for makes a difference. Most of the Walmart arrows are rated for 45-70 plus most are 9.2 grains per inch. They are not bad arrows. You need to make sure they match your shooting. Here is a good thing to read. http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~byr...arrowswork.pdf

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

3. Thanks aceman thanked for this post
    Likes aceman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started shooting this year. I am on my third set of arrows. First two sets were measured and recommended at a "Pro Shop". Just got my third set a couple of weeks ago that I ordered on my own from Lancaster. I think that I now understand more about instinctive recurve shooting than the people in the shops. Lots of great stuff to find and learn on the internet.
    Went from 500 spine at 30", to 600 spine at 29", and now at 29 inches 700spine then adjusted weight and nock. . I ordered 16 arrows two unfletched.
    I did robin hood my unfletched arrows so I only have one now. I ordered 16 arrows two unfletched.

Adjusted the tip weight from 100 grains to 85 grains, Moved my nock down about 3/16th of an inch. I finally have my unfletched in the group.
    It was a long expensive process of buying arrows and then trying different tip weights and adjustments.
    My shooting keeps getting better, and I am able to find more problems then I have to make adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like

i had trial and error over couple type of deflection and length of arrow.

i started off 400 spine, and went to 300 spine. now i just ordered 500 spine arrows.
    Going stiffer does not benefit me at all, and i see some drops of the variant in shoting the "x".

shorter draw length like me 27" definately need some serious 500 spine arrows.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Sonny Thomas

Yes, there is more to than what you noted and draw length is a far distant consideration except for helping find the length of arrow you want. If you know the length of arrow you want, the point weight and the draw weight then it's hard to beat the manufacturer's arrow chart.
    Length of arrow is personal perference and for hunting needs. For hunting most like the fixed broadhead aways in front of the bow hand (won't cut fingers).
    For 3D most like a light arrow for speed, so for length most measure 1" forward of the arrow rest and arrow contact point at full draw. In other words, just because you have a 29" draw doesn't mean you need a 29" arrow. I have a draw length of right at 28 3/4", but my 3D arrow has a cut shaft length of 26 3/8". Cut length shaft meaning from bottom of nock groove to the end of the arrow shaft, not the insert or point.
    This said, I cut mine 1" longer in case I decide to change arrow rests as all arrow rests aren't made the same. I'd rather be long than too short for arrow length.

If using Easton's arrow chart; Length of arrow, draw weight, point weight and soft, med. or hard cam.
    Carbon Express has their method of finding calculated draw weight. Once found you go to their arrow chart and find your arrow length. Of either chart if in between arrows length you are advised to use the longer arrow length for the arrow you need. Say your arrow is 27 1/2", you'd use arrow length 28 on the chart to find the correct arrow shaft. This will most always give you the correct spine.

7. Likes aceman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about compound, but for recurve the charts and or the programs seem to be wrong. The people at the shop were using these tools to recommend arrows. Maybe they don't consider enough options like bow string, and speed.

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by daiwateampenn View Post
    i had trial and error over couple type of deflection and length of arrow.

i started off 400 spine, and went to 300 spine. now i just ordered 500 spine arrows.
    Going stiffer does not benefit me at all, and i see some drops of the variant in shoting the "x".

shorter draw length like me 27" definately need some serious 500 spine arrows.
    I had 500 spine arrows for my Shadowcat set to a measured 28 1/4" bow draw (bow, not me) and right at 55 pounds. Sold bow and arrows are hanging on the wall of my garage. Point weight is Carbon Express 70 gr glue-ins with 20 gr weights, 90 grs total. Emailing with Carbon Express I was told these arrows were too weak. BS! These arrows were pin point accurate out of the Shadowcat. Granted, these CXL Pro 150s are fragile, but not weak. They gave 281 fps.

I also shot 400 spine arrows with the Shadowcat and they were pin point accurate. Heavier, they gave 268 fps...If I remember correctly.

Sonny Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    I don't know about compound, but for recurve the charts and or the programs seem to be wrong. The people at the shop were using these tools to recommend arrows. Maybe they don't consider enough options like bow string, and speed.
    Recurves are different animals Still, Easton's Chart is pretty darned good. Bow string and speed has little to effect the chart, but correct draw weight for the bow at the archer's draw length does. Recurves are given X draw weight at 28 inches of draw. My 34 pound recurve went over this with my 29 inch draw...Almost 40 pounds.