Thread: fingers versus tab.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fingers versus tab.

An interesting observation I've noticed lately. After setting up my shadowcat I started using it bare fingers as I am a barebow shooter anyway and my tab was brand new and not 'shot in' I tuned it to fingers but eventually decided to break in the new tab. Using it, all arrows went to the left. at about 20 yards they were about 4'' - 6'' left of center.I realised the thickness of the tab was in effect moving my anchor point at the side of the mouth out slightly and consequently the point to the left. Doesn't need much to make a big difference.Probably means nothing these days as almost everybody shoots sights and release aid.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Sonny Thomas

I don't think it's so much the thickness, but the difference of release between bare fingers and leather. Still, I can't remember a shift in impact.
    I shot with a regular three fingered glove for years. Then bare fingers. Later, I made my own three finger glove out of real thin calf skin which proved too thin as in wear out. I then went with the rough out leather glove and stitched the fingers so they were snung and cut off the finger tips until I was satisfied. Used this old glove until I quit with fingers with a compound bow and went with a release aid. Got the glove somewhere around the house....This was the old reddish rough out work gloves. It got slicked up pretty quick and never wore out. My last time shooting my old wheel Pearson target bow, 37 pounds (special order), I used bare fingers. Should have never sold that bow. It was one where you could just have fun and no worry about a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always preferred a tab due to the fact that it gives a more consistent release than shooting a glove or bare fingers. I would have to think your bare fingers are heavily calloused or pretty sore at times. Still, each shooter has to try different things and use what works the best for them. If yours happens to be bare fingers then that's all that matters.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I do regularly use a tab, but tried bare fingers first as the tab was still brand new. I do get a smoother release with the slick tab over bare fingers but will stand by my observations for what they're worth that the tab really does alter anchor location and does by default make the arrows go left until tuned to the tab.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Sonny Thomas

bigbob29, I won't argue with you, not being overly fond of tabs, but tabs comes just like they are, in sizes. Okay, I've seen a customer start whittling on a new tab before he got out the door. Like me, I wanted my glove fingers just so, string coming off the leather right at the finger tips, but not touching my finger tips. Tabs, for me, beings I didn't think about trimming them, the string rolls off a bit out. Understand? There may be the difference in impact change.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a number of things over more than 30 years of barebow shooting even shot an 80# longbow bare fingers once. [fingers were numb for 3 months!] including gloves, bare, and even wrapped sticking plaster around string fingers, and am now happy to use a tab. Every compound I've owned I've also set them up for finger release with arrow right of center.Don't know why but it works for me every time.I have a 'static' release meaning my hand remains at the anchor position after the shot is released and not drawn back to invoke the shoulder muscles. My release can be likened to just letting go ,similar to having a bucket of sand held by the fingers and just letting go! Very seldom do I ever get a 'bad' release as such, but I seem to like doing things differently ans 'aint about to change now.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte