Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Archery article to share

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, anodized is nice, but I still remember that first loaner 2010 Shadowcat. Super black, not that carbon finish thing. Felt like silk, not metal feel, me loved it.....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Which can only make me wonder what next year will bring. You just have to know they have something up their sleeve and have been working the heck out of the engineering dept. on the 2015 lineup. If I remember correctly I think I read something about a return of the Nitrous cam. Personally I'd like to see it redesigned to feel more like the hybrid cams with about 70-75% letoff. This wouldn't take much more than a slight modification of the shape of the modules. Wider cam with wider string/cable tracks with rounded edges. For the money the target colors should be anodized.
    Fish I hope your wisdom is true; the Nitrous "yes" could use a little re-modeling, but the Cam was a true shooter. With what the market has done to limb improverment over the past ten years. Yep! one thing is I can't wait.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Barry, anodized is nice, but I still remember that first loaner 2010 Shadowcat. Super black, not that carbon finish thing. Felt like silk, not metal feel, me loved it.....
    I agree Sonny. I believe the earlier ones were powder coated, thus the silky smooth feel. Still, first rate target bows should be just that and anodizing is a much more durable finish than hydro-graphing.

Tosi, there were very few of us who dedicated some time shooting the Nitrous X that didn't like it. Even for guys looking for a dual purpose bow it was cool. Most just never gave it much thought. The X system wasn't the greatest for loading an arrow for hunting but it wasn't bad once it was gotten used to. Still, a person could take a target bow with X cams and convert it for hunting simply by adding yoke cables and stick a rod/slide into the riser. Even leave the X modules on to convert back after hunting season. A real easy swap.

And to tell the truth I think most of those who criticized it probably never even shot one. They just read things on the internet posted by other nay sayers and jumped on the band wagon. I look at things this way. If you have no personal experience with something keep your mouth shut till you have tried it for a good amount of time. Honestly, there are maybe a hand full of people who have tried most things hitting the market. The rest have only shot with what is on their bows and draw biased opinions from it. It's just like the questions all the time about what is the best (product). Who has the opportunity and resources to have shot every bow on the market to be able to draw an unbiased opinion as to which is the "BEST"? Whether it be bows, arrows, sights, or whatever; you get my point.

OK, I'm rambling. Time to quit---for a while.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

4. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit to what Barry note of the Nitrous X cams. I never met one. I began working at a Martin dealership in 2008 and here it is 2014 and I've yet to lay my hands on one. And I'd agree with Barry for "loading" a arrow (can't say nock). I shot the Hoyt UltraElite shoot through riser for some years. Once I got the hang of it I could load and fire as fast as anyone with a standard bow. I shot the ASA DAIR Indoor target round a few times. Never did the timer catch me during the 1 minute Speed end for getting off 4 arrows...I even cleaned the One Minute Speed end ever time accept once and that was due to my release going off prematurely.....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I had a cougar III some years back maybe 10or so and if it only had a string stop it would have been one of the best bow that I have ever shot. Thinking on it I didn't think it was that hard to load but back then I was a lot younger and was shooting Easton XXX75 Super Slams aluminum arrows. Wow that's a blast from the past. I hope Martin has something up the sleeve with some of the other Cams that I thought really started the cam revolution.
    Last edited by Tosi; 01-17-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Ranger 6
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

As Barry said, once you get accustomed to loading the arrow from the front, it's no problem. It was very easy for me as my first compound was the 63# Slayer listed in my signature, and its the bow I hunt with to this day. I got it used off AT classified, guy before me passed on the bow because it was X rigged, seller lowered the price and I went for it, Liked it so much that I then picked up the second Slayer, and then got a heck of a deal on two Cougar IIIs, both X rigged. By now, it seems strange to me when I see someone load an arrow from the back. Lol ! I do disagree however about making new Nitrous cam with 70-75 let-off, as that was determined by which % modules you used, presonally I don't like the HL mods, feels to me like I need to push the string away to release, am happy with the 65% mod. but thats just me..
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-17-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

4x5, it shouldn't be so hard to offer 65% mods. They made them before and the CNC program has to be around somewhere. I know a lot of guys that have shot the Nitrous cams and complained that it felt like there was no letoff. The letoff is there. It's just a smoother roll over instead of the bow holding it's peak weight till the last few inches and then dumping into the valley like most bows today. I know with my 2004 SlayR I got about 71% (75% advertised) with my shorter draw length. That's why I recommend about 70% to 75%. It would be a nice compromise between 65% and the common 80%.

The bow was fast, though. A full 30 fps faster than any of the Hybrid cams I'm shooting today, although it's IBO was 10 fps slower. Go figure.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Great cams, sure hope Martin digs up the old CNC program, and makes 'em again. Might need a bit of modifing in order to fit the quad limbs. But you're right, they sure are fast. And as you said, have a smooth roll-over.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Bfish, how did the Dyna cams match up to the Nitrous on Valley. I can't remaber if I every shot the Dyna Cam.
    Ranger 6
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Bfish, how did the Dyna cams match up to the Nitrous on Valley. I can't remaber if I every shot the Dyna Cam.
    Honestly, I don't know. I had spent 7 years as a shooter for Golden Eagle and Pearson and my only choices with them were single cams. Prior to that I spent 25 years shooting nothing but dual cams. When I joined with Martin in 2004 I had a choice and jumped hard back to a dual cam. Since then I have had no desire to shoot a single cam bow so never did. Not that there's anything wrong with a single cam. It's just that with a true dual cam that has real yoked cables there are more options when it comes to tuning.

Honestly though, if you shot one of the bows with MPro or newer cam and then one with a Dynacam I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver