Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree Stand Vs. Ground Blind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tree Stand Vs. Ground Blind

This is something that may have been asked previously but I just wondered what people preferred to hunt from, stand or blind? And why?
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I like tree stands. I tried a ground blind for the first time this turkey season, and have been in there trying to coyote hunt. We did find a black widow spider in there about as big as a nickel when we moved it. Last couple times in there, I was brushing away spider webs. Did not know it was a big black widow web. I am lucky that I did not get bit.

So I think I like treestands better. Plus you can see so much more. One thing I noticed was the field of view is so much smaller in a ground blind.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Where I live and hunt, a tree stand isn't really feasable, foilage is too dense, hunt mostly spot and stalk, but occasionally do use a pop-up blind.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Always been a big fan of tree stands. Killed most of my best deer from them. I have killed a few deer from the ground, or a brushpile blind, but never a pop-up or anything like that. I've had as good of luck on turkeys just brushing in on the ground as I have with a blind as well. I own 2 ground blinds, but maybe only use them once or twice a year. I've got a good 12-13 tree stands on the 340 acres I hunt for deer though. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter, I think you should share a little spot of that land you hunt with a fellow Kansan! I went out fishin tonight and the spot I am hunting this fall is right next to the spot on the river I like to fish. Saw 7 deer just in one food plot so I am hoping it will be a successful hunt this year. I think I am going to use a tree stand for the better range of view, and also I don't want to feel cut off from nature. I think I would feel claustrophobic in a blind but I know people that use them or a brush blind and have great success.
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Where I live and hunt, a tree stand isn't really feasable, foilage is too dense, hunt mostly spot and stalk, but occasionally do use a pop-up blind.
    Hey elkslayer, is Oregon as beautiful/great a place to live as it looks? I have looked at some land in the Klamath Falls area, familiar with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been down around Klamath Falls, but everywhere else I've been in Oregon has been beautifull. I live in the lower end of the Willamette Valley,( the destination of the first wagon train around 1840,) a lush valley with plentifull rainfall. Great place to live, Hunter friendly, gun friendly, and no sales tax. Lots to hunt.. Turkey, Groose, Quail, Ducks, and Geese. Three species of deer..Blacktail, Muledeer, and Whitetail, two species of elk, Rocky Mountain and Roosevelt, Black Bear, Pronghorn Antelope and Cougar are all over the counter tags or licence.
    That enough to get you to move ?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a meteorologist, but tree in the am as heat rises & ground blind in the evening as scent goes down as the air cools -evening thermals.....my dad and grandad said hunt above em early and below them after 3/4 (depending on time change). Also, if windy, they always went as high as possible. They thought scent would disperse before it got to their prey. Also, rain they said made your scent go down....linked to.drop in barometric preasure-I.thinkMake sense? Works for me....ground blind monster,.for SC, late & in the rain @ 22 yards IMAG1448.jpg
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com
    2013 Nemesis 35 (Black Carbon)
    2008 Slayer (Brushed Platinum)
    2007 Slayer (Gloss Black)

9. Likes TEN RING, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Haven't been down around Klamath Falls, but everywhere else I've been in Oregon has been beautifull. I live in the lower end of the Willamette Valley,( the destination of the first wagon train around 1840,) a lush valley with plentifull rainfall. Great place to live, Hunter friendly, gun friendly, and no sales tax. Lots to hunt.. Turkey, Groose, Quail, Ducks, and Geese. Three species of deer..Blacktail, Muledeer, and Whitetail, two species of elk, Rocky Mountain and Roosevelt, Black Bear, Pronghorn Antelope and Cougar are all over the counter tags or licence.
    That enough to get you to move ?
    Just might be! In the process of job hunting now. Worked on the post here and government ended the contract so no better time than now to move!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
    I'm not a meteorologist, but tree in the am as heat rises & ground blind in the evening as scent goes down as the air cools -evening thermals.....my dad and grandad said hunt above em early and below them after 3/4 (depending on time change). Also, if windy, they always went as high as possible. They thought scent would disperse before it got to their prey. Also, rain they said made your scent go down....linked to.drop in barometric preasure-I.thinkMake sense? Works for me....ground blind monster,.for SC, late & in the rain @ 22 yards IMAG1448.jpg
    Well that all makes sense. Definitely food for thought. And nice buck!