Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who coyote hunts with bow?

Junior Member MyHuntProfile.com's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with some others. If they come in while I'm deer hunting with a bow then they better hope I miss. If I run out of arrows then I'm throwing any nearby hard objects. West Virginia (my native hunting region) had come overrun by them and that just was not the case when I was a kid learning about the woods and venturing out on my own. Fact is though they are everywhere I never see them. I hear them all the time but never see them. Perhaps if I worked on calling them in and actually hunted them it would be different. We have a year round season for them here to.. I don't think you even need a license of any sort to kill them but I could be wrong. The coyote is another big mistake of DNR and insurance companies (my personal opinion).
    Share The Outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, when hunting with the bow if one appears, I drop it. I keep several different arrows in the quiver just for them. I also carry my rifle when I'm out & about, took out 7 two years ago while scouting for cow Elk. Open season year round in Nevada and no tags or permits needed.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

4. Likes MyHuntProfile.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was elk hunting last early season using a cow call trying to get a bull to come in, I was kneeling behind a sapling when I seen movement. I thought is was the bull but two coyotes come out sniffing the ground about 40 yards from me. I pulled my bow back put my 40 pin on him my meat seeker and green nockturals went thru the bigger yote like hot knife thru butter. I don't hunt them but if their in my sights and ruining my hunt I'll take'em out! No pics didn't care to.

Post Thanks / Like

So far I've only done so whle deer hunting with a bow.... missed one at 50 yards, and missed one out of my stand... he looked up at me when I drew; they're skitterish little things LOL. I've thought about setting up a spot and try out a predator call and just hang out with my bow though, I could think of worse ways to waste an afternoon
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I've done coyote hunting several years ago, where a buddy got pretty good calling them in. We hit 4-5 different locations and he called in yotes at every site. What really got me was how fast them come in to a call. They don't sneak in - they come a runnin', trying to get to the wounded critter before their pack mates do. It's pretty exciting when that happens. Great way to spend some winter days when other game are not in season.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

I have only had 1 shot at a yote while in the deer stand and he jumped as I shot. I would love to whack one with a bow eventually. It's easy with the AR-15.

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not know anyone who does, it would be hard to get them in that close

Post Thanks / Like

They're very tough to hunt specifically with a bow, as most posters have said, they've taken them while on a deer or elk stands. Very keen senses, and pretty smart, most taken are that year's pups. They will always circle around and get on the downwind side, very keen hearing and sharp eyesight.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade