Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheetah M-PRO Cam off set - normal ?

ArcherAlii

Default Cheetah M-PRO Cam off set - normal ?

Aloha everyone. I'm a proud owner of a 2008 Cheetah. I am waiting on arrows and I can't shoot it. The wait is really agonizing.

I was wondering if its normal to have the MPro Cam ride so close to the limbs on the Cheetah. It's not touching the limbs and I can slip a folded dollar bill in between the cam and the limb, but it is really close. I feel when shot, the cam could make contact with the limb.

Also, when I follow the Basic Set Up instructions in the manual I can't align the shooting string down the center of the grip because of the way the cam rides.

Is all of this normal on all Bengals and Cheetahs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say NO, this is not normal. I've seen cams run pretty close to the limb but this seems too close to me. The cause could be one of several things. Could be a bent axle (dry fire maybe?). Maybe the limb was drilled incorrectly for the axle or maybe the cam was machined for the bearing on an angle. If I were you I'd take this back to your dealer or a good Pro shop and get them to look at it and see what they think. Maybe they'll find it necessary to contact customer serice at Martin.

Now to deal with your center shot question. If you look at the cam in the bottom limb real close you'll see that the string is offset, and not in the center of the limb. This is normal. At the top limb the idler wheel tracks in the center of the limb. What this means is that the string actually tracks from the cam to the idler on an angle across the bow. The only place the string is in the center of the bow is at the idler wheel. For this reason you have to set your rest slightly outside center, meaning slightly to the left on a right handed bow. About 1/8" should do it. This is just a basic setup.

The rest position may need to be changed during the tuning process. There are so many variables to account for this. Some changes occur as the cam rolls over due to side pressureexerted by the cable guard, which causes limb twist. Then there's the amount of torque created by you, the shooter, depending on just how good your grip is--or as I say not grip. Arrow spine has an effect, as does your shooting form in general. That's what tuning is all about; trying to compensate for all these little things.

Hope this helps some.

ArcherAlii

Sup Bfisher, thanks for the center shot and rest position info. Makes a lot of sense. The cam off set situation is disappointing. Im headed for the dealer this weekend. I hope they donít give me any lip - this bow is brand new and its never been shot yet. Thanks again.

razorjack

make sure you compare your bow to other bows like it in their shop.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    make sure you compare your bow to other bows like it in their shop.....
    Good idea. Something to pay particular attention to is how the shims (washers) are placed on each side of the cam. Usually one is thicker than the other one. Maybe the factory got them reversed.

I can't really tell from the picture whether the cam is crooked in the limb fork or not. You're doing the right thing taking it back. I know this shouldn't happen, but sometimes a defect gets through the cracks and you just happen to be the lucky one to get it.

If your dealer gives you any beef contact Joel or Jake at Martin.

ArcherAlii

I will compare it with other bows. I looked at the shims and I really think that the shims was not properly installed at the factory and should be reversed. The cam is perfectly aligned in the limb fork, just set to really to the left. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

My 08 Bengal is the same as in the picture.I think that is normal.If the cam was moved over the draw stop would be affected.I downloaded a manual from the Martin website.Lots of good info regarding centre shot.

08BENGAL

My 08 Bengal Is The Same Also.

hunter

My cheetah is like that as well ..Shoots fine

ArcherAlii

I emailed the dealer the other day and they couldnít really give me an answer because they needed to see the bow. They did tell me what to look out for if the Cam/shims was indeed put together wrong by factory. Everything seemed ok. Still freaking out and wanting to shoot the bow, I called and spoke to a tech at Martin yesterday who told me that the thicker shim is suppose to be on the right side of the cam (if looking at it from rear on a RH bow).

Thanks, bengal42, 08BENGAL and hunter. I just got my arrows in yesterday and after reading your post today, I nocked some arrow was able to land them on the X out to 20. This was after I only did the basic eyeball set up. I will tune the Cheetah this weekend.

Second Martin bow Iíve purchased and I canít believe how comfortable, quit, and accurate they are.