Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Dry Fired Alien-X

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Dry Fired Alien-X

    Hi fellow archers,
    Yes my beloved Alien-X is dead,dry fired by a friend(still friends). What i want to know is it still possable to get the cams>string&cable,to rebuild it??. Or is it realy dead. It was bought from Bowsports,Wolverhampton here in the UK In 2012.Have been in contact with them,no help at all!!.
    Any help or idea's wellcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think I would call Brandon at Martin, I don't have the number in my head it should be on the Martin web site. Take detailed pictures of the damage and send them to Martin via email, the worse they can do is say no. I would also think that worse case scenario you can get the parts from sources such as Ebay and maybe even this site or Archery Talk. I am no expert on building, but there are some great people on this site that are always willing to help. They may need to see some pictures of damage to help asses what needs to be replaced. I am like you if friend would dry fire my bow we would still be friends but I would be deflated for sure. I can say that when I bought my Nemesis the shop derailed it on a draw board it made an awful racket and hammered the string and cables, but that was it. The shop replaced the string and cables and it has been shooting great for two years now. I hope the damage is not that severe to bow and wish you the best of luck getting put back together. Hang in here and check this thread I am sure others will chime in with help for ya.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Linwood, Michigan
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm gonna say yes. I dry fired my Nemesis last year, destroyed the cams (dry fired the Scepter the following day----bad week). Anyway, went to my pro shop and they ordered the cams from Martin, and about 3 weeks later was back up and running. First thing though is to fully inspect the limbs to make sure they are okay. String/cables can be readily had from numerous sources, so that's a no issue. As for cams, depending on availablity, may get the same or the newest version. A different style cam will probably need new strings anyway, and Martin should be able to provide the lengths needed with the new cam.
    2010 Rytera Nemesis
    2003 Martin Scepter 3 Fury shoot thru converted to Nitrous shoot thru
    1990'ish Martin Onza w/Elite limbs and Fury shoot thru
    1984 Martin Lynx Magnum turned recurve
    1980 Martin Cougar Magnum target
    Bob Lee recurve

  4. #4
    Member EnglishKev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefriar View Post
    Hi fellow archers,
    Yes my beloved Alien-X is dead,dry fired by a friend(still friends). What i want to know is it still possable to get the cams>string&cable,to rebuild it??. Or is it realy dead. It was bought from Bowsports,Wolverhampton here in the UK In 2012.Have been in contact with them,no help at all!!. Any help or idea's wellcome.
    That does not surprise me in the least, BS have absolutely no customer service attitude at all (actually, that is not strictly true, they do have a customer service attitude, trouble is it stinks!!!).
    I have had some dealings with them and they suck big time if you have any problems.
    They rely entirely on the fact that they are the main UK dealer for a lot of stuff and you cannot get it anywhere else.

    I have dealt directly with Martin in the past and didn't have a problem with getting parts, hopefully it will still be the same.
    Have you got access to a bowpress and stuff near you?

    As already said, after market strings are readily available and would be preferable to the originals.
    What damage to the cams and limbs?

    Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishKev View Post
    That does not surprise me in the least, BS have absolutely no customer service attitude at all (actually, that is not strictly true, they do have a customer service attitude, trouble is it stinks!!!).
    I have had some dealings with them and they suck big time if you have any problems.
    They rely entirely on the fact that they are the main UK dealer for a lot of stuff and you cannot get it anywhere else.

    I have dealt directly with Martin in the past and didn't have a problem with getting parts, hopefully it will still be the same.
    Have you got access to a bowpress and stuff near you?

    As already said, after market strings are readily available and would be preferable to the originals.
    What damage to the cams and limbs?

    Kev
    To Kev
    Both cams bent,limbs look ok. Going to replace string and cable. Agree with you, BS suck. Not heard a thing from them, shamed to say that there an English company. Good news guys, I phoned MA to order new part's. Happy to say that they sorted me out. Now sit back and wait for the postie,to deliver. Thanks for the input guys.

  6. #6
    Member EnglishKev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefriar View Post
    To Kev
    Both cams bent,limbs look ok. Going to replace string and cable. Agree with you, BS suck. Not heard a thing from them, shamed to say that there an English company. Good news guys, I phoned MA to order new part's. Happy to say that they sorted me out. Now sit back and wait for the postie,to deliver. Thanks for the input guys.
    Fingers crossed for the limbs, the Barnsdale ones are tough.
    It'll take a little while for the parts to wing their way across the atlantic (mine did) but it is great that Martin are still as helpful as ever.
    I have pictures and stuff of the string and cable routings and other info, if you need anything when you get to reassembly just give me a PM.

    Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

  7. #7
    Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a collection of Rytera including Aliens and the proto type Seeker.

    I am sure Martin will take care of you, the new owners are top notch people and will do what ever it takes
    to satify thier new and old customers.

  8. Thanks andy_camping thanked for this post
  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Cheers,will do.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    :-) !!!

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    what draw length and how many pounds was the bow set at during the mishap? just trying to figure how much energy was absorbed by the bow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •