Thread: strings

wildeboer

Default strings

Two quick questions,

The Cheeta bow, is it neccessary to replace the stock strings with something better like Zebra strings etc. ??

I bought my Cheeta 2008 model 20weeks ago from my bowshop. Is there a place on the Martin website where I can register my bow for the warranty or is it not neccessary??

Kind regards

flytier17

Yes, I would put aftermarket srings on it, but NOT zebra. zebra are standard on Mathews, and even a new Mathews is reccommended to replace strings.

I would reccommend Pro-Stirngs. Excellent service and products.

Registering is not necessary. Just keep your reciept.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, now wefinally disagree on something. I find the stock strings to be pretty good, and I'm hard to please. I say give them a try and see what happens. If there is a need to replace them then I'd suggest Bucknasty over on www.acherytalk.com. His prices are dran good and the quality is ,IMO, better than Winner's Choice. I've had bows with Prostrings and they are pretty good, but I did get a little peep rotation with my last set. I think the strings need more twists than Shel puts in them. Here again, just my opinion.

Elk4me

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Ah, now wefinally disagree on something. I find the stock strings to be pretty good, and I'm hard to please. I say give them a try and see what happens. If there is a need to replace them then I'd suggest Bucknasty over on www.acherytalk.com. His prices are dran good and the quality is ,IMO, better than Winner's Choice. I've had bows with Prostrings and they are pretty good, but I did get a little peep rotation with my last set. I think the strings need more twists than Shel puts in them. Here again, just my opinion.
    IMHO I would replace the Stock string and cables with a good set of http://www.stonemountainbowstrings.com/ this is the Brad Martin puts on the Firecat top notch strings been using them for yrs.

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    My serrvings showed wear after about 50 shots, and the center serving was tied off sloppily. I had to retie it as it came undone on me.

But, you do agree that the zebras suck, right?

I like the fact that string and shel use pure dyneema. Not many people still do. I have had excellent service from them, so I will just see what the strings are like.

flytier17

One more thing we disagree on. I like to papertune and bhead tune as well. I follow everything in the Martin and Easton guides, plus some other things I picked up on the way. I like to call it Ultratuning. From what i understand, you dislike to papertune, no?

cdfirefighter1

ill have to second the bucknasty strings... his work is second to none.. he can be found on www.archerytalk.com send him a pm he will fix you up..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    One more thing we disagree on. I like to papertune and bhead tune as well. I follow everything in the Martin and Easton guides, plus some other things I picked up on the way. I like to call it Ultratuning. From what i understand, you dislike to papertune, no?
    Yes, I agree that Zebras suck. Even experienced Mathews shooters agree to this. I think most of the people who like them are "wannabe's" or lucky ones who got a good set.

No, I do not paper tune. Call me old school or whatever, but I like to bare shaft tune. It's more intricate and your form has to be very consistent. It's also a more precise indicator of what your arrow is doing down range. Such things as arrow spine, FOC, and fletching drag do not show up at close range (paper tuning).

You can punch holes in paper and call it tunes, but this just indicates how the arrow is leaving the bow. If the FOC is too light or too much fletching drag the arrows can wander at longer distances and groups open up. It's a great big balancing act. And the more you play the more you learn.

Let me say that I start my bare shafting at 6' and work my way back, making adjustments as I go. This is like paper tuning, but I just eliminate the paper. I usually quit at 35 yards. If and when I see nothing going but a nock all the way out to there, and they hit with fletched arrows in a 2" bullseye, then it's time to try a bare shaft with a broadhead and see where that hits at 30 yards. Of course, things better by pretty close to be able to do this and I don't recommend it for people who can't really supertune a bow.

And don't get me wrong. Sometimes I can't get the results I'm looking for with a bare shaft. Usually this has more to do with incosistencies in spine of carbon arrows than anything. Now with ACC's or aluminum it's a lot easier.

cb671

The Martin Factory String's are Fine for Hunting/3D but you can change em out to Better one's if you want to...I've Had the Factory one's on my Cougar for 5yr's before I changed them out. Stone Mountain String's are pretty good as are bucknasty's..stay away from Zebra String's..I've seen them Stretch within a Year and fray easily.

flytier17

I bareshaft tune as well. Your right, good form is essential. I had really erratic results @ first, that got sorted out when I gor better at my shooting form.